Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878563 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5970 on: February 11, 2014, 12:55:58 pm »

a grate doesn't stop water, so the pump keeps working
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

McCautious

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Catgelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: February 11, 2014, 01:06:43 pm »

The design takes the flow to map edge and I pump off water one level above the drain but directly out of the shaft.  They kept scaring the pump operator and I presume took the same path into the fort that the operator does.
Oh. What an opportunity. You should really think about a way to turn this into something funny and useful.
Live deer, emus, badgers and sorts delivered free of charge down there in the fortress? Make a live-game shooting range with an attached butchery-complex or something.  :)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: February 15, 2014, 10:44:09 am »

Kind of a spoilerish question here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: February 15, 2014, 03:44:56 pm »

just like any flying creature, they still need to spawn on ground level, I think
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: February 16, 2014, 02:47:34 am »

Does the distance to a tower mater? e.g. if it shows up in my neighbours list is it the same if it's 1 tile away or ten etc.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: February 16, 2014, 02:57:09 am »

just like any flying creature, they still need to spawn on ground level, I think

IIRC, they don't (although I didn't take a screenshot of the event). They can spawn over the pits, and just stand there. I had a pair of White Haunts, that were flying arachnids, just looming there, waiting for someone to go get them.

EDIT: I never use mods, for the foreseeable future. Those were just the clown's names.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:23:13 pm by Doktoro Reichard »
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: February 16, 2014, 02:20:34 pm »

it's always nice to mention if you're using a mod

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: February 17, 2014, 12:04:38 am »

Hm, I've been getting bugged 'trader' migrants in the last two waves, does this mean I'm running out of historical figures?

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: February 17, 2014, 05:23:17 am »

No, it's a bug that happens whenever a migrant only has Appraiser as its main skill. DFHack has a tweak that allows you to take ownership of those guys.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: February 17, 2014, 10:05:19 am »

No, it's a bug that happens whenever a migrant only has Appraiser as its main skill. DFHack has a tweak that allows you to take ownership of those guys.

that's an old assumption that has proven to be false, mostly due to the name. Yes, a trader is someone who has appraiser as main skill. No, the trader bug isn't about those kind of traders. The bug is about migrants who have visited your fort previously as merchant, merchant guard or liaison. That status isn't properly cleared and interferes when they arrive as merchants. You typically find it with civilizations that have few historical figures left.

Hm, I've been getting bugged 'trader' migrants in the last two waves, does this mean I'm running out of historical figures?
So yes, you may be running low on historical figures

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: February 17, 2014, 10:21:15 am »

that's an old assumption that has proven to be false, mostly due to the name. Yes, a trader is someone who has appraiser as main skill. No, the trader bug isn't about those kind of traders. The bug is about migrants who have visited your fort previously as merchant, merchant guard or liaison. That status isn't properly cleared and interferes when they arrive as merchants. You typically find it with civilizations that have few historical figures left.

So yes, you may be running low on historical figures

They're arriving in the migration wave, not with the caravan. I've also gotten lots of former outpost liaisons without problems, due to decades of me refusing barony. There could just be a backlog of over 50 years of caravans with historical merchants.

Any way to tell if these bugged migrants showing up as trader profession are former merchants or caravan guards?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: February 17, 2014, 11:47:45 am »

Wild speculation:

Former outpost liaisons are explicitly relieved of their position. This can be seen when 'f'ollowing a liaison on the way out, they revert to their normal profession the moment they leave the map, and the game will actually show that changed profession for several seconds. I can imagine that the lack of such a forced status change could bug up merchants, so that they never stop considering themselves caravan members.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF via Ubuntu
« Reply #5982 on: February 21, 2014, 05:55:27 pm »

I am making progress: to the extent that I have DF loaded and I can start it.  The wiki article helped http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Installation. However the solution for sound did not seem to work.  I pasted in the lines provided and a restart of the game showed the same error message regarding the OpenAL.  A second attempt to paste the proscribed lines kicked out a "file already exists" error.

Anyone have ideas?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: February 22, 2014, 09:46:47 am »

Try installing the dev packages of the relevant libraries. Like so:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libopenal-dev
sudo apt-get install libsndfile-dev

Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: February 22, 2014, 11:01:25 am »

Try installing the dev packages of the relevant libraries. Like so:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libopenal-dev
sudo apt-get install libsndfile-dev

Thank you.  That got me sound.  I created an embark to test for sound and at some point in the process the terminal showed me:
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 759: _dl_close: Assertion `map->l_init_called' failed!

Is this a cause for concern?  I've downloaded the pdf for the 12.04 manual.  Is there another beginners resource you know of?  I had borrowed a couple books from the local library but they turned out to be specific to different distro's.  One example of my frustration was that the more up to date of those books was pushing the Wubi installation.  (Which I come to find out has since lost most of its proponents.)
Ellipsis free since August 2013.
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 422