Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878580 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5955 on: February 07, 2014, 04:35:37 am »

only in an evil biome and even then it would be an animal zombie, not a dwarf zombie, so you'd better be ready for more. The good news is that they're easy to kill unless there is a stealthy necromancer around too. Be carefull with your refuse pile, a stealthy necromancer can get up to a lot of trouble in one, so set up some security measures
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: February 08, 2014, 10:24:13 pm »

Why doesn't caravan guard leaving my map? He is standing 1 tile away from the map edge, there is nothing around him and all his fellows succesfully leaved the map there.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: February 09, 2014, 12:24:50 am »

I get that occasionally too. Sometimes there will be this one guard (happens with both human and dwarven caravans) who decides to hang out at the edge of the map, but they always leave in a month or two.

No idea why it happens.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: February 09, 2014, 03:11:15 am »

I guess, he's just admiring my awesome fortress. Thank you.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: February 09, 2014, 06:06:03 am »

Is it possible to have a dump pile that dips things briefly in magma, enough to ignite flammable objects, but not enough to melt rocks?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: February 09, 2014, 03:39:20 pm »

Is it possible to have a dump pile that dips things briefly in magma, enough to ignite flammable objects, but not enough to melt rocks?
I don't think conductivity is modelled yet. however if you were separating magma proof stone you should be fine.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: February 09, 2014, 07:11:32 pm »

When sending military to clear out demons, how effective are spears?

Also, what about scourges?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:14:26 pm by smjjames »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: February 09, 2014, 08:52:35 pm »

Demons are equivalent to power to FBs, and spears are pretty effective against FBs. So I imagine they will be pretty effective. scourges have very little penetration (50 vs 10000 of spears), is an edged weapon, so it much less effective than the spears. its advantages against spears is a 2x velocity multiplier and half the contact area, but I don't think it makes up for the penetration decrease, which is essential getting to the internal organs of Demons.

We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: February 09, 2014, 09:07:07 pm »

Okay. Might have been a mistake to send lashers against them the first time (also wood shields).

Will weaponsmith moods make any weapon including foriegn, or can they only do weapons the civ can make? Trying to get this weaponsmith mood to spit out a steel long sword.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: February 09, 2014, 09:10:17 pm »

Okay. Might have been a mistake to send lashers against them the first time (also wood shields).

Will weaponsmith moods make any weapon including foriegn, or can they only do weapons the civ can make? Trying to get this weaponsmith mood to spit out a steel long sword.

Moods can spit out anything, foreign or not.

Of course, dwarves with certain preferences will be more likely to make what they like, if the mood will allow it. Find someone who likes longswords, if you can.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: February 09, 2014, 09:13:36 pm »

Well, this dwarf has been tending to do crossbows and has a preference for quivers.

The only foriegn weapons that I've seen moods spit out were blowguns though....

Edit: Decided to settle on a short sword and there aren't any preferences for long swords.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:17:33 pm by smjjames »

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: February 10, 2014, 04:23:24 pm »

I dug a shaft next to the river to bring water inside for the forts' needs.  Once dug I built walls around it and gave it a roof.  I keep getting random surface animals like deer, badgers, and emu six levels down at the bottom of the shaft.  Were they swimming and got sucked in by the flow? 
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: February 10, 2014, 04:38:48 pm »

Moods can spit out anything, foreign or not.

Of course, dwarves with certain preferences will be more likely to make what they like, if the mood will allow it. Find someone who likes longswords, if you can.

As far as i can tell, dwarfs aren't 'more likely' but rather guaranteed to make a preferred item if at all possible. And i'm pretty certain that preferences for foreign items are not possible. It'd screw up mandates beyond imagination otherwise.

The recipe would thus be to farm for weaponsmith moods using dwarfs with no weapon preferences. And if you have no adamantine on hand, exclude dwarfs who like non-weapon metals that you're producing; a gold-lover will absolutely insist on making their artefact from gold, which is no use in a sword.

Quote from: WhimsyWink
I dug a shaft next to the river to bring water inside for the forts' needs.  Once dug I built walls around it and gave it a roof.  I keep getting random surface animals like deer, badgers, and emu six levels down at the bottom of the shaft.  Were they swimming and got sucked in by the flow? 

They might have tried crossing the river in the area where the outflow lowered the water level, then got pushed by flow into the shaft.

McCautious

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Catgelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: February 11, 2014, 11:19:38 am »

Wow. Nice. Now you just need to hook up a meatgrinder to the shaft and have your fortress feed on an endless literal stream of "miscellaneous sausage".  8)

Are those animals actually drowned? Or is there a way for them to get out of the water down there?
Can drowned animals be butchered?  ;)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: February 11, 2014, 12:10:32 pm »

Wow. Nice. Now you just need to hook up a meatgrinder to the shaft and have your fortress feed on an endless literal stream of "miscellaneous sausage".  8)

Are those animals actually drowned? Or is there a way for them to get out of the water down there?
Can drowned animals be butchered?  ;)

The design takes the flow to map edge and I pump off water one level above the drain but directly out of the shaft.  They kept scaring the pump operator and I presume took the same path into the fort that the operator does.  Can I grate the top?  I'd have been more careful if I had alligators
Ellipsis free since August 2013.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 422