Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879271 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5895 on: January 20, 2014, 01:59:36 am »

There is only large and small clothing in this version. Whether a piece of clothing can be worn or not is determined by a creature's size compared to the average size of the race that created the clothing. Dwarves can wear goblin and elf clothing just fine, since they are all the same size. Though humans are too big to share clothes with and kobolds are much too small. I'm not sure how close the races have to be in size in order to share clothes, however.

But the 'giant' clothes you are seeing are likely coming from animals with giant in their name, causing a name confusion. The only animal with large in its name is a large rat.

If the clothes don't say large or small, then you should be able to wear it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:02:01 am by BlackFlyme »

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: January 20, 2014, 12:45:09 pm »

At the risk of shaming myself with stupid questions:
At the end of Win XP support I am planning to move to Ubuntu.  I see a linux download for DF on the main site, but is there anything you can warn me about?  I'm guessing game saves will be windows specific?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: January 20, 2014, 01:00:25 pm »

If you're going with a 64-bit Ubuntu, you will have to get the 32-bit versions of certain packages. The wiki has some tips in that case. You might also have problems with getting sound to work, here's how to fix that.

Saves are cross-platform compatible.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:02:20 pm by Trif »
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: January 21, 2014, 03:27:45 am »

At the risk of shaming myself with stupid questions:
At the end of Win XP support I am planning to move to Ubuntu.  I see a linux download for DF on the main site, but is there anything you can warn me about?  I'm guessing game saves will be windows specific?

I recommend that you seek the LTS version of Ubuntu. Df is run by double clicking 'df' (or 'dfhack' if you add it).
The alt key does not work in Ubuntu, you'll have to remap it if you want to jump into water in adv mode.

Saves and config will work on any OS, simply copy the data and raw folders from your windows game and you'll be set.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5899 on: January 21, 2014, 10:48:23 am »

alt is also required for making and placing slabs, so it's a vital key  :P
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: January 21, 2014, 01:18:41 pm »

I have discoverd the magma sea ( i think is dig to deep and skipped the 2nd layer).

But all i can scout is water. Do i need to scout further to discover the magma? Does it popup always if you discover the layer with magma? its a 2x2 embark so i almost see everything in the layer.
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: January 21, 2014, 01:50:32 pm »

I have discoverd the magma sea ( i think is dig to deep and skipped the 2nd layer).

But all i can scout is water. Do i need to scout further to discover the magma? Does it popup always if you discover the layer with magma? its a 2x2 embark so i almost see everything in the layer.

Did you got an announcement "You have discovered the great magma sea"? If there was, you have found the magma sea. You really can't miss it. If you see only water, that's underground lake. Dig deeper.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: January 21, 2014, 02:12:11 pm »

alt is also required for making and placing slabs, so it's a vital key  :P
You can move up and down the menu options for slabs.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: January 21, 2014, 02:26:50 pm »

Did you got an announcement "You have discovered the great magma sea"? If there was, you have found the magma sea. You really can't miss it. If you see only water, that's underground lake. Dig deeper.

yes i did get the popup, started digging as we speak!
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5904 on: January 21, 2014, 05:20:23 pm »

Can I breed hostile sentient creatures much like a tame version, such as the tigerman? [Assuming of course they have the child tag]

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: January 21, 2014, 06:55:59 pm »

The alt key does not work in Ubuntu, you'll have to remap it if you want to jump into water in adv mode.

Huh.  Weird.  Maybe the problem is unique to certain locales/configuration?  I play on 64-bit Debian 7 with a standard US keyboard + setup, and Alt-S works for me in Fortress mode.  I've never remapped anything in DF.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: January 21, 2014, 08:07:30 pm »

Can I breed hostile sentient creatures much like a tame version, such as the tigerman? [Assuming of course they have the child tag]

I don't know about sentient, but I know that if you have a male and female of anything non-sentient you'll get babies popping out. I think sentients need marriage, though, and I don't think hostiles marry while on your map, so... -shrug- Unknown, but doesn't seem likely to me.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: January 21, 2014, 11:59:51 pm »

Do elves have any other bias besides wood? I am trying to unload a bunch of tattered clothing and some crafts. but I keep getting rejected like if I sold them a bin by accident, and I know I went thru list twice and none are selected.

The only difference this time around was I was sitting on way too much meat so slapped some barrels in their of meat but realized you cant sell them the stuff inside, so I never checked off the barrels for trade. Is just having them in the list a problem?

All my crafts are either bone or rock, I even checked for petrified wood just to be sure wasnt in there but I cant seem to find it, unless its the barrels. But after trying to dump 30 bins of items ,3 times now, I figure would ask.

drives me nuts they are getting around 60k profit and still snubbing nose because of something.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: January 22, 2014, 12:05:10 am »

Do elves have any other bias besides wood? I am trying to unload a bunch of tattered clothing and some crafts. but I keep getting rejected like if I sold them a bin by accident, and I know I went thru list twice and none are selected.

The only difference this time around was I was sitting on way too much meat so slapped some barrels in their of meat but realized you cant sell them the stuff inside, so I never checked off the barrels for trade. Is just having them in the list a problem?

All my crafts are either bone or rock, I even checked for petrified wood just to be sure wasnt in there but I cant seem to find it, unless its the barrels. But after trying to dump 30 bins of items ,3 times now, I figure would ask.

drives me nuts they are getting around 60k profit and still snubbing nose because of something.

Do any of the items have wood decorations? Or clear glass or crystal glass? They accept raw clear and crystal glass according to the wiki, but not items made of them or decorated with them.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: January 22, 2014, 12:08:41 am »

They don't accept plants at all IIRC?
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 422