Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879255 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5865 on: January 17, 2014, 11:13:51 pm »

Actually, now that I think about it, removing the tag [HAS_NERVES] or whatever it's called might fix dwarves that already have nerve damage.  I've never tried it though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: January 18, 2014, 02:08:36 am »

Alright, this may seem like a silly question but it's driving me nuts and I can't quite figure out how to avoid the issue.

Have sand layer.  Simple enough, GLASS!  Busted caverns.  Simple enough, TREES!

Moss and trees on sand... no glass!  Well, crap.

So, how the heck do I keep a sand layer/area clear of crap growing in it and not letting me collect sand?

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: January 18, 2014, 04:24:27 am »

Alright, this may seem like a silly question but it's driving me nuts and I can't quite figure out how to avoid the issue.

So, how the heck do I keep a sand layer/area clear of crap growing in it and not letting me collect sand?

Would a few grazing animals eat enough moss for you to collect sand?

Sure this has been asked before but I can't find it anywhere, I've just got my third immigrant wave with total 46 dwarves now, with not a single baby or child among them. Youngest fort member is 21. I haven't touched any of the settings or used any mods, just a few basic DFhack commands. Is this normal? It's the first time I've ever seen it and this is maybe my 6th or 7th fortress... not that I'm complaining at all but is there an explanation for it?
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: January 18, 2014, 04:26:11 am »

This seems perverse, but dwarves can somehow dig sand out from under a paved road, which conveniently prevents moss and trees from growing. Dirt roads zap the moss and trees only once per designation but are less puzzling. Half my fort is built from the sand under two paved road tiles.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: January 18, 2014, 05:40:59 am »

my dorfs have no problem digging up sand from beneath a layer of moss. Bushes and trees may be a different problem, but moss not so much
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: January 18, 2014, 07:28:53 am »

Would a few grazing animals eat enough moss for you to collect sand?

Sure this has been asked before but I can't find it anywhere, I've just got my third immigrant wave with total 46 dwarves now, with not a single baby or child among them. Youngest fort member is 21. I haven't touched any of the settings or used any mods, just a few basic DFhack commands. Is this normal? It's the first time I've ever seen it and this is maybe my 6th or 7th fortress... not that I'm complaining at all but is there an explanation for it?

My guess is that the civilization population cap was reached during worldgen, so the birth rate went way down.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: January 18, 2014, 09:25:03 am »

Costructing a floor grate over the sand collection spot is the most elegant solution to that.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Legless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: January 18, 2014, 10:01:35 am »

Beards, I'm going to start another boring megaproject above ground. And I don't want to see green snouts for two-three starting years. I know, enemies can be disabled in d_init, but after some time, I would turn them on. But before I should ask, is turning off invaders permanent?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: January 18, 2014, 10:29:41 am »

No.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: January 18, 2014, 12:15:23 pm »

Is the justice thing bugged?

I have been noticing jail time for violating a production ban, but I never see those, just export bans.

Now I just had a guy beaten to death with hammer for the offense....Seems a bit harsh, and all he did was follow production orders.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: January 18, 2014, 05:23:39 pm »

There are no production bans, those are production mandates - they require the specified products to be made. If you _don't_ make the three traction benches or whatever, a dwarf will get punished.

Export bans can also be violated by accident. The violation is checked when the wares leave the map, not when the trade is made. So it can happen that you sell some mugs to the caravan, the caravan starts packing their stuff, _then_ the mayor or countess decides to ban the export of mugs. After the caravan leaves, everyone who brought a mug to the depot will get punished.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: January 18, 2014, 05:25:21 pm »

there is no production ban afaik, but they can demand stuff to be made. If the demand isn't met, a random person with that skill gets a punishment, possibly a beating and due to weird df physiology, it's unintended lethal
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: January 18, 2014, 07:02:48 pm »

My guess is that the civilization population cap was reached during worldgen, so the birth rate went way down.

Thanks! That makes sense.

Another question, I just had an immigrant show up with many yellow body parts - limbs/organs/ribs etc, and a blacked-out "throat". No injuries are showing on the thoughts & prefs screen, but Therapist says "Vision Lost". She got about halfway from the map edge to the gate before I noticed, no combat reports, there are snakes etc in the region but were none on the map at the time (and plenty of other immigrants around that would've seen them??). There's no evil rain/towers or anything in the embark, just a nice jungle wilderness.

I noticed a dwarf heading outside with the "recover wounded" task, he took her to a bed and left, where she got up and started to go do a job. I quarantined her to her room and set up a hospital but she's not going there, just hangs around the meeting area if I let her out of her room.

Any ideas? If she's blind, shouldn't the game say so? Is she likely to be contagious, or can I give her back her crossbow and let her out to hunt?
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: January 18, 2014, 08:05:44 pm »

There are no production bans, those are production mandates - they require the specified products to be made. If you _don't_ make the three traction benches or whatever, a dwarf will get punished.

Export bans can also be violated by accident. The violation is checked when the wares leave the map, not when the trade is made. So it can happen that you sell some mugs to the caravan, the caravan starts packing their stuff, _then_ the mayor or countess decides to ban the export of mugs. After the caravan leaves, everyone who brought a mug to the depot will get punished.

Well I have those show up too, wants rings,beds,etc made but everytime they show up I always have it showing 1/1 or 3/3, mostly everything they have asked to be produced is already sitting in storage and to me when see 1/1 3/3 , that I dont need to make anymore, but I wonder if its counting stock but not the actual production of when mandate was put in. So when the King said he wants me to make rings and it shows 1/1, I wonder if I still need to make a ring from the time of mandate.

I havent had the export issue yet because honestly I havent sold anything they have banned. Lol I am building up such a stockpile of used clothing, it has been all I have needed to unload.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: January 18, 2014, 08:11:18 pm »

Well I have those show up too, wants rings,beds,etc made but everytime they show up I always have it showing 1/1 or 3/3
That's 'number of mandated items left to make / number of items mandated'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 422