Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879207 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5805 on: January 05, 2014, 05:32:06 pm »

pretty sure yes, and in any case, variety helps
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: January 05, 2014, 09:52:19 pm »

Trying to figure out why my guys are not picking up equipment outside.

Have idle dwarves
Have stockpiles for the goods with room
Items are not forbidden

The only thing I wonder about is the difference between finished goods and armor.

It seems to use armor for regular clothing as well if I have them material and type turned on, but then some things don't work.

I am at a point now where I am trying cleaning up the scattered items but don't want to keep marking them for dumping as I have made organized stockpiles for most of everything. Even been using dfhack to rename them. (Btw renaming stockpiles in future update please)

What am I missing, and I am sure I am missing something somewhere.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: January 05, 2014, 10:21:23 pm »

"Armour" in the Finished Goods stockpile refers to upperbodywear (torsowear?).

You could make a no-bin stockpile for everything except refuse over a section of the scattered equipment, and set it to take only from links. Then set up a no-bin stockpile in the storage area that takes only from the stockpile over the scattered equipment. Enable the 'e' options on this stockpile until hauling starts to happen. If it doesn't, the problem is somewhere else.

What are you trying to pick up?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: January 06, 2014, 12:16:35 am »

In trying your suggestion it came to my attention that armor had 2 other options. Usable and non usable. That was my issue as I would block all and toggle the type I wanted but didn't toggle that usable back on...

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: January 06, 2014, 04:55:43 am »

If they're like my dwarves, they're waiting for a goblin siege
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: January 06, 2014, 07:44:37 am »

not after?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: January 06, 2014, 09:59:03 am »

If they're like my dwarves, they're waiting for a goblin siege

Funny you should say that, 2 seasons passed without a peep except from odd thief, and as soon as got the stockpile thing fixed, lol I had an invasion. Lost 3 dwarfs before I could have them recalled.  But now I at least have a clean overland map again.  Funny part is without that stockpile on aboveground I dont think they would work as well.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: January 06, 2014, 02:43:10 pm »

Why does every moody bonecrafter always take the largest stack of bones he can find? Is this by design?

Thank you for wasting 200 bones from a forgotten beast on a freaking earring, dork.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: January 06, 2014, 02:56:15 pm »

forbid them next time. They won't grab forbidden stuff.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: January 06, 2014, 02:58:22 pm »

I was too busy forbidding all the adamantine and I forgot about bones

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: January 06, 2014, 04:34:27 pm »

Why were you forbidding adamantine? It's the single greatest value booster in the game. A single wafer used for something other than battle axes won't doom your fort.

And as far as crafting materials go, you can still forbid them after the dwarf's already grabbed them - they'll carry a forbidden item to the store, dump it there and get something new. If you forbid an item after it's already been placed inside the workshop or after the dwarf has started on the construction, this can bug the mood, but usually not fatally. Usually...

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: January 06, 2014, 10:17:08 pm »

Are dwarves unable to use animal cloth to make clothes? I have tons of wool and silk cloth from traders, but my clothier is unable to make cloth trousers, saying:
Cancels make cloth trousers: needs 1 unused plant cloth.
Feeling down? Click Here!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: January 06, 2014, 10:22:45 pm »

"Cloth" is woven plant fiber -- pig tails or rope reeds.  The plants must be processed in a farmer's workshop to produce thread, then woven in a loom to produce cloth.

"Silk" is woven animal excretions.  Spider webs (or analogous fibrous material) is collected by a weaver executing a "Collect webs" job, issued from a loom.  The web is taken to the loom, and becomes thread; then it must be woven into cloth in a separate job.

"Yarn" is woven animal hair/fur.  The animals must be shorn in a farmer's workshop to produce the yarn thread, which is then woven into yarn cloth at a loom.

In the clothier's workshop, your job must first specify which of the three material types it will use.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: January 06, 2014, 10:29:17 pm »

"Cloth" is woven plant fiber -- pig tails or rope reeds.  The plants must be processed in a farmer's workshop to produce thread, then woven in a loom to produce cloth.

"Silk" is woven animal excretions.  Spider webs (or analogous fibrous material) is collected by a weaver executing a "Collect webs" job, issued from a loom.  The web is taken to the loom, and becomes thread; then it must be woven into cloth in a separate job.

"Yarn" is woven animal hair/fur.  The animals must be shorn in a farmer's workshop to produce the yarn thread, which is then woven into yarn cloth at a loom.

In the clothier's workshop, your job must first specify which of the three material types it will use.

Ohhh! Thanks for explaining that :) I thought they are all considered "cloth"!

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: January 06, 2014, 11:39:24 pm »

How do I entice dwarves to take a bath with soap in my bath houses? I have built some pits, filled them with water, and placed soap in stockpiles around them. I haven't seen any dwarves go down there, though, and I'm kind of suspecting that if they ARE taking bathes (those stinky buggers) then they might be going up to the surface where there are some pools of water.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 422