Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879011 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5760 on: January 01, 2014, 12:01:46 pm »

Though I have found the wiki to be invaluable, certain information is lacking.  Specifically, I'm wondering exactly how much Plants & Shrubbery a pair of Sheep actually need.  I have now assigned 4 full Pastures, and the pair have that symbol on the left of their name at each Pasture, yet they are becoming increasingly skinny.  There's also a pair of Water Buffalo that showed up at random, if that matters.  I spent a metric tonne of points buying these Sheep for embarcation, seems dumb that they will simply starve to death before first winter.  Does their Pasture have to include fresh water as well?

Pastures require grass.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Pasture

This is a list of recommended pasture sizes, but it's mostly observational data, so it will vary from biome to biome depending on the rate at which grass grows back.

You want only grass in the pasture, they won't eat shrubbery to my knowledge.
Derp, I meant to say grass (never DF after New Year's cocktails :-[ ).  Linked here is the area in question.  It has some tree and other bits, but is by and large, a normal grass field.  Yet all of the animals are 'weak' and 'skinny'.  I'm rather stumped.  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1503118/DF%20Pasture.jpg

Edit; btw, love your Archimedes gif 8)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: January 01, 2014, 01:05:18 pm »

Derp, I meant to say grass (never DF after New Year's cocktails :-[ ).  Linked here is the area in question.  It has some tree and other bits, but is by and large, a normal grass field.  Yet all of the animals are 'weak' and 'skinny'.  I'm rather stumped.  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1503118/DF%20Pasture.jpg

Weak and skinny are size modifiers, and don't directly relate to whether or not they are starving. Do they actually have either the 'Hungry', 'V. Hungry' or 'Starving' status? If so, it's probably because the buffalo are eating all the grass. Buffalo require a massive amount of grass to stay alive, so you may want to try giving the sheep their own separate pasture. Or you could butcher the buffalo.

Weak relates to their actual physical strength modifier. A creature's muscle mass increases with their strength and can affect the physical description of a creature. Skinny relates to the amount of fat on the creature, which can increase when the creature eats. They will probably always be weak, since they likely won't be doing anything that can increase their strength.

Edit; btw, love your Archimedes gif 8)

Thanks. I tried to find one a gif that could loop, but gave up and just looped it myself, after using some site to create a reverse gif to merge with the original.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: January 01, 2014, 01:13:07 pm »

That makes sense.  I don't have anyone capable of being Medical Dwarf, so I can't view their status right now.  Just seemed strange that both Sheep are 'skinny' or 'very skinny', while their new Lamb is 'fat'.  I was aware of Water Buffalo's eating requirement, was gonna butcher them soon anyways.  Thanks for the clarification :)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: January 01, 2014, 01:26:19 pm »

That makes sense.  I don't have anyone capable of being Medical Dwarf, so I can't view their status right now.  Just seemed strange that both Sheep are 'skinny' or 'very skinny', while their new Lamb is 'fat'.  I was aware of Water Buffalo's eating requirement, was gonna butcher them soon anyways.  Thanks for the clarification :)

You can also take a quick look by viewing them with the view option by pressing v and hovering over the sheep. I think it's either the general or the wounds tab that shows if they are hungry or not.

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: January 01, 2014, 07:45:00 pm »

I have an awesome warrior king who's in the military, and also an artifact silver mace. I try to assign it to him via the equipment page, but the king is "attached" (he named it) to his ugly old +iron battleaxe+ and won't switch weapons.

Is there anyway I can make him pick up the silver mace and drop the battleaxe?
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: January 01, 2014, 08:05:00 pm »

Dump the axe. Assign the artifact and station him. That should hopefully do it.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: January 01, 2014, 08:53:26 pm »

I couldn't dump but forbidding worked. Thanks.
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: January 02, 2014, 11:24:20 am »

What does the [FREQUENCY:5] tag do/affect?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: January 02, 2014, 11:37:52 am »

I'd guess the chance of the animal (you're talking about creature raws, right?) to actually visit your fort site
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: January 02, 2014, 11:41:11 am »

Yeah, it's from the dragon raws. So would making it higher or lower increase the chance of a dragon visit? Which one does it need to be to make dragon visits reaaaaaally frequent :D?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: January 02, 2014, 11:46:01 am »

I don't know, I'm not completely sure what it does.

you might be able to get an answer faster at the modding subforum, or find your answer in a faq or something there.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: January 02, 2014, 03:26:22 pm »

Can plants be grown on muddied constructed floors, or do you get a 'building present' when you try to place a farm plot?
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: January 02, 2014, 03:37:33 pm »

Can plants be grown on muddied constructed floors, or do you get a 'building present' when you try to place a farm plot?

Constructions aren't buildings, and buildings can be placed on constructed floors.

You can put a farm on a muddied floor.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: January 02, 2014, 03:44:55 pm »

Constructions aren't buildings, and buildings can be placed on constructed floors.

Well, they are accessed by the 'b' menu, so I think they're just a subset of buildings. Additionally, I've read before that constructed walls have no noise-dampening capabilities, can anyone confirm this, and if so, is this an intended behavior?
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: January 02, 2014, 03:56:44 pm »

Well, they are accessed by the 'b' menu, so I think they're just a subset of buildings. Additionally, I've read before that constructed walls have no noise-dampening capabilities, can anyone confirm this, and if so, is this an intended behavior?

Constructions are accessed through the building menu, but they aren't considered buildings.

Also, nothing dampens noise. Noise producing jobs (mining, woodcutting, engraving, carving fortifications, and removing constructions) all have a set noise distance, and everyone within that range will hear it, no matter what is in the way. But it only annoys dwarves when they hear it while sleeping.
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 422