Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879000 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5745 on: December 29, 2013, 04:02:29 pm »

If a trap-immune creature is knocked off its feet with high-pressure water, can it be caught in a cage-trap? What about trap-immune/stun-immune creatures?
Never pet a burning dog.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: December 29, 2013, 04:09:06 pm »

If a trap-immune creature is knocked off its feet with high-pressure water, can it be caught in a cage-trap? What about trap-immune/stun-immune creatures?

Should work, the same happens with FB dust or cave ins. I have lost a few dwarfs to cage traps before I got the out.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: December 29, 2013, 06:40:57 pm »

If I switch the "Invaders" option in LNP to off, will it stop everything from coming or just sieges?

It disables most regular types of FUN: sieges, ambushes, thieves, forgotten beasts, titans, megabeasts, semimegabeasts. Cavern life will still be nasty and potentially hostile and circus tents and other types of deep ‼fun‼ are just as amusing as normally.

I haven't tried, but pruning the "evil"(goblin) civilisation down to one or two "ACTIVE_SEASON"s in entity_default might make them a bit less frisky.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: December 29, 2013, 08:42:07 pm »

stunning creatures in some way is one way to capture trap immune creatures in cages. The only creatures this would be for in native are kobolds. IIrc, Titans and FB and such are also stun immune. You need a webbed cage trap to catch one of those since they won't be stunned by a fall or cave-in dust.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: December 30, 2013, 01:14:22 am »

So the queen just arrived to my fortress, turning it into the mountainhome.

But I noticed that her eldest son is already here, and is in fact an extremely awesome axelord, who, to top it all off, actually killed the goblin "master"/king in a previous siege. Said goblin master was a demon.

So my question is, if I arrange a small "accident" to happen, locking the doors while the queen is admiring the semi-wild grizzlies, will her son become the king in the game? Or will I just be left with no monarch noble?
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: December 30, 2013, 04:24:27 am »

Monarch succession post-worldgen doesn't happen in this version, but it will in the next version.

Now, if that one was in the next version, he very well could become king.

I'm not sure how the current worldgen handles monarch inheritance, whether it's the eldest living child or what.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: December 30, 2013, 09:58:59 am »

Can be done with DFHack. See here.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: December 30, 2013, 12:25:40 pm »

Awesome. I had the legendary metalsmith craft some masterwork gold crowns. Is there anyway to make the king wear one? I looked through the uniform system but I couldn't find the option. So, can you make a king wear a crown?
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: December 30, 2013, 12:32:00 pm »

not currently in vanilla. They won't wear 'crafts'
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: December 30, 2013, 03:32:24 pm »

That hardly seems fair... Invaders often wear craploads of Crafts.
Never pet a burning dog.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: December 30, 2013, 03:44:50 pm »

Goblinite and Ammunition.  Works for me!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: December 30, 2013, 03:53:35 pm »

The only crafts that I find worn by others are made of the bones/teeth/hair/etc. of other things that they have killed in world-gen. Vampires tend to be covered in the most bone bling, but hunters and soldiers can carry some around too.

Though I did have an otherwise unremarkable dwarf wearing a yeti-bone bracelet once. She was just a farmer, no hunting skills and only minor combat skills. The combat skills were probably gained in the fight with the yeti.

The reason you see goblins decked out in more bling than dwarves is probably linked to the fact that they fight and kill much more often than the other races. Sometimes they even kill each other. They are also much less picky about what they turn into crafts, and will happily turn sentients into food or goods, unlike dwarves, who would normally avoid wearing or making goods made of intelligent creatures. Except vampires, who don't seem to care if anyone sees them wearing dwarf bone rings.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: December 30, 2013, 06:15:01 pm »

It was one of the "alerts" for possible vampire, if they had a lot of crafts, for certain if they had sentient trophies. IIrc some of that was corrected and they never show up with all their trophies anymore. It slowed them down a lot, 1000 bone crafts, which was fine for vampires, but your marksdwarf/hunter needs to be able to move

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: January 01, 2014, 01:32:36 am »

Though I have found the wiki to be invaluable, certain information is lacking.  Specifically, I'm wondering exactly how much Plants & Shrubbery a pair of Sheep actually need.  I have now assigned 4 full Pastures, and the pair have that symbol on the left of their name at each Pasture, yet they are becoming increasingly skinny.  There's also a pair of Water Buffalo that showed up at random, if that matters.  I spent a metric tonne of points buying these Sheep for embarcation, seems dumb that they will simply starve to death before first winter.  Does their Pasture have to include fresh water as well?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: January 01, 2014, 01:45:27 am »

Though I have found the wiki to be invaluable, certain information is lacking.  Specifically, I'm wondering exactly how much Plants & Shrubbery a pair of Sheep actually need.  I have now assigned 4 full Pastures, and the pair have that symbol on the left of their name at each Pasture, yet they are becoming increasingly skinny.  There's also a pair of Water Buffalo that showed up at random, if that matters.  I spent a metric tonne of points buying these Sheep for embarcation, seems dumb that they will simply starve to death before first winter.  Does their Pasture have to include fresh water as well?

Pastures require grass.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Pasture

This is a list of recommended pasture sizes, but it's mostly observational data, so it will vary from biome to biome depending on the rate at which grass grows back.

You want only grass in the pasture, they won't eat shrubbery to my knowledge.
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 422