Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878985 times)

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5715 on: December 18, 2013, 03:36:45 pm »

How do I impulse ramp?

I want a minecart to go north, through a hallway that is currently empty. Walk me through this like I am five.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: December 18, 2013, 05:45:18 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Minecart

I don't know how to talk to a 5 year old
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: December 18, 2013, 06:30:09 pm »

carved L shaped tracks in the ramps (or constructed?) with one leg of the L being in the direction of travel and the other pointing 'up' the ramp, if I see it correctlyBasically, as it travels it bumps into no-track between the two seperate Ls, which the game treats as falling off the track, at which point it 'lands' on the next L, gets the speed boost for landing on the ramp, hits the same problem as before.

Practise making the correct type of ramps for a bit somewhere and launch a test vehicle. The wiki seems clear to me, if you don't understand it I wouldn't know how to explain it otherwise. Over to the next person.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: December 18, 2013, 07:40:42 pm »

We have simple northward motion at just under the speed of light.

I am mildly pleased.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: December 19, 2013, 04:40:02 am »

We have simple northward motion at just under the speed of light.

I am mildly pleased.

The speed of light in Dwarf Fortress is actually just 300 meters per second; note, however, that signals sent through pipe sections, gear mechanisms and levers travel faster than this.

I call it "the Law of Things What Move and How Fast They Go Versus Things What Don't Move But Make Stuff Move Abstractly And How They're Faster Than Those Other Things".

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: December 19, 2013, 08:23:42 pm »

Spooky Fun Action At A Distance
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: December 20, 2013, 04:49:37 am »

instant telepathic machinery
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: December 22, 2013, 11:35:58 pm »

I actually took the time to search before posting here, but probly missed it anyways  ::)  Could having intersecting Dining Rooms cause any problems?  I assigned a single table as a Dining Room, expanded to fill the entire space, then filled that space with tables/chairs (none are sharing).  Happiness was still decreasing due to lack of Dining Table, so I assigned multiple tables within that space as also being for dining, but still 'lack of tables'.  These are the only chairs in the whole fortress, directly across from the provisions stockpile, so I'm rather at a loss.  Any info is appreciated.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: December 22, 2013, 11:51:30 pm »

I actually took the time to search before posting here, but probly missed it anyways  ::)  Could having intersecting Dining Rooms cause any problems?  I assigned a single table as a Dining Room, expanded to fill the entire space, then filled that space with tables/chairs (none are sharing).  Happiness was still decreasing due to lack of Dining Table, so I assigned multiple tables within that space as also being for dining, but still 'lack of tables'.  These are the only chairs in the whole fortress, directly across from the provisions stockpile, so I'm rather at a loss.  Any info is appreciated.

The only problem I can recall is that overlapping rooms have a lesser value because they share furniture.

How long have you waited between checking thoughts and setting up the rooms? It may be that the thoughts you are looking at were generated before the dining rooms were set up, since thoughts take a while before they disappear.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: December 23, 2013, 12:07:15 pm »

How did you arrange tables and chairs? Did you put them chair-next-to-table? Are there tables with multiple chairs around?
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: December 23, 2013, 01:08:49 pm »

I am growing fungus on my soil floors without penetrating caverns.  Is there a planned game mechanism that allows this?  or am I just gonna have to accept another "I don't know why, but"  ?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: December 23, 2013, 01:20:02 pm »

The only problem I can recall is that overlapping rooms have a lesser value because they share furniture.

How long have you waited between checking thoughts and setting up the rooms? It may be that the thoughts you are looking at were generated before the dining rooms were set up, since thoughts take a while before they disappear.
Admittedly I have been checking rather frequently, the Fortress just started its' second year.  I just freaked out when I saw that my latest wave of immigrants were all average/yellow content.

How did you arrange tables and chairs? Did you put them chair-next-to-table? Are there tables with multiple chairs around?
Just a simple column;

CTTC
CTTC

I guess if their mood improves gradually, I'll know by the third year.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: December 23, 2013, 01:28:57 pm »

I assigned a single table as a Dining Room, expanded to fill the entire space, then filled that space with tables/chairs (none are sharing).  Happiness was still decreasing due to lack of Dining Table, so I assigned multiple tables within that space as also being for dining, but still 'lack of tables'.  These are the only chairs in the whole fortress, directly across from the provisions stockpile, so I'm rather at a loss.

I was going to say "You've got some chairs somewhere else without adjacent tables..." but then I saw the end of your quoted text.

Is it possible that the bad thoughts in question are from a time before you had tables in place next to every chair?  Bad thoughts hang around in each dwarf's mind for a year, IIRC (dropping to half strength after half a year).

That said, you shouldn't have multiple overlapping dining room definitions, because the value of the dining room gets divided across all the room definitions.  It's best to have one room definition that covers the whole thing.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: December 23, 2013, 02:41:24 pm »

I am growing fungus on my soil floors without penetrating caverns.  Is there a planned game mechanism that allows this?  or am I just gonna have to accept another "I don't know why, but"  ?

This isn't your first fortress in this world, is it?

If you breach the caverns in a previous fort, newer forts can grow fungus without ever seeing the caverns.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: December 23, 2013, 03:52:36 pm »

This isn't your first fortress in this world, is it?

If you breach the caverns in a previous fort, newer forts can grow fungus without ever seeing the caverns.

That's probably it, thanks
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 422