Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878945 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5700 on: December 11, 2013, 10:10:00 am »

It largely depends on the civ that is comming to attack you. If the goblins had a notable leader that tamed bats, or cave dragons, giant olms and similar, those may be ridden into battle during a siege. If they don't have anyone who did something special like that, they don't. And if you kill or capture that leader, they won't show up with the mounts anymore either iirc
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: December 11, 2013, 10:49:55 am »

Since I have played so long, I guess chances are that I do have killed of the special leaders if there where any :S

Thank you

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: December 14, 2013, 12:17:38 pm »

I have an embark (vanilla embark with dfhack only) whenever I try to make a squad the game crashes.  I'm assuming I need to reload DF, but was wondering if anyone had heard of it before
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: December 14, 2013, 12:34:10 pm »

Does it crash precisely when you create the new squad (pressing l if I remember correctly), or at some later step when you're changing food/booze settings, uniforms, etc.?  I believe there's still a known bug in there that causes crashes if you change something about a squad immediately after creating it.  The workaround for that one is to create the squad, then exit from the military interface altogether, then go back in, then change things.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: December 14, 2013, 12:44:49 pm »

as soon as I have selected the members for the squad.  Not positive if I get to back out to the main screen before it goes

I definitely hadn't gotten into uniforms except to select none at the beginning.  Just need to chase the kea's away from the pile of blocks LOL
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:04:30 pm by WhimsyWink »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: December 15, 2013, 03:30:38 pm »

I have an embark (vanilla embark with dfhack only) whenever I try to make a squad the game crashes.  I'm assuming I need to reload DF, but was wondering if anyone had heard of it before
Does the crash happen if you create a new squad in the (v)iew interface instead of the military interface? As in (v) - choose dwarf - (p) - (n) - (Enter) ?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: December 16, 2013, 12:02:57 pm »

Does the crash happen if you create a new squad in the (v)iew interface instead of the military interface? As in (v) - choose dwarf - (p) - (n) - (Enter) ?

I was not aware there was another way.  I'll check that when I get home.  But if it crashes the next time I get to spend time in front of it, I will probably swap a clean copy of DF & dfhack

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: December 16, 2013, 06:34:25 pm »

Anybody know a way to coax a FB that's in water to path to the fort? I have this cavern layer which is like, 80% water and I got a bit frustrated with trying to wait for a FB to path through the first one that I made a second one to attempt to get it to path.

Both entrances lead to a single path, which I've secured well with troops.

Theres also this peasant (bird) FB with deadly vapors which is currently chilling in the demon fortress and I'm not sure that one can path through as it's blocked off.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:36:59 pm by smjjames »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: December 16, 2013, 07:07:14 pm »

You could maybe sacrifice a dwarf by making them a miner and having them dig around the edge of the cavern until they're spotted. Once the FB clambers up to kill the dwarf, it should realise there's a land path available.

Alternatively, you could turn your single path into a barracks (if you haven't done it that way already), and wait for the FB to randomly stumble on the path in.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: December 16, 2013, 07:51:49 pm »

Both entrances lead to a single path, which I've secured well with troops snacks.

Fixed that for you.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: December 17, 2013, 12:18:52 pm »

You could maybe sacrifice a dwarf by making them a miner and having them dig around the edge of the cavern until they're spotted. Once the FB clambers up to kill the dwarf, it should realise there's a land path available.

Alternatively, you could turn your single path into a barracks (if you haven't done it that way already), and wait for the FB to randomly stumble on the path in.

Apparently the peasant FB had found a way up shortly after I had posted yesterday. While I let my military recupurate, the dimetrodon FB (which turned out to have frikking wings) apparently went up the tunnel and was waiting on the other side of the walled off tunnel.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: December 17, 2013, 02:48:05 pm »

peasant the bird is a pheasant. Quite tasty, I imagine. It would be kinda too bad if it was made of mist or something like it though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: December 17, 2013, 09:39:22 pm »

Is there any way to get DF to generate good/evil regions close together? I'm trying to get a 3x3 embark that includes both joyous wilds and terrifying biomes, but there doesn't seem to be an option in the map generation.

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save to thumb drive?
« Reply #5713 on: December 17, 2013, 10:26:52 pm »

I'm playing DF off a thumb drive, but it just hit the spring autosave and is stuck there. I tried a quicksave in DFHack and it reported "game should save state now".

Any chance this will work? How many files need to be saved, and are they located in Current or another directory so I can see if it's safe to close and reload DF?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: December 17, 2013, 10:48:21 pm »

Is there any way to get DF to generate good/evil regions close together? I'm trying to get a 3x3 embark that includes both joyous wilds and terrifying biomes, but there doesn't seem to be an option in the map generation.
Not really. You can turn the minimum savagery up to 25 or so, and ask the game to generate enough good and evil regions that civs are just about able to generate. You might need to have a short worldgen to catch them all while they're still living.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 422