Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878951 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5580 on: November 24, 2013, 01:51:25 pm »

Unicorns aren't dangerous if you remember that they're large herbivores that can also stab you.

I wonder how long those horns actually are, on average?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: November 24, 2013, 02:41:15 pm »

Not looking for dangerous, just trying to gauge difficulty....
Will it be harder to find plants and animals?
It won't be any harder to find animals or plants on a savage biome vs. normal biome of the same type, no. But it will be harder to acquire them.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: November 24, 2013, 02:53:37 pm »

If there is a demon that is a member of a goblin civ but is no longer leader (due to being imprisioned), will that demon still show up in sieges?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: November 24, 2013, 03:16:24 pm »

If there is a demon that is a member of a goblin civ but is no longer leader (due to being imprisioned), will that demon still show up in sieges?

Is he still imprisoned? If he is, I doubt he'll show up in a siege. If he was captured by a different civ, then he will definitely not show up, but you may be able to free him in adventure mode, and he'll be a companion.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: November 24, 2013, 03:34:07 pm »

Is he still imprisoned? If he is, I doubt he'll show up in a siege. If he was captured by a different civ, then he will definitely not show up, but you may be able to free him in adventure mode, and he'll be a companion.

No, he escaped later, rejoined his old civ, started hunting great beasts and helped defend against an attack a few years before worldgen end. He is still hunting great beasts I guess and is a webslinger plus is a master crossbowman. I'm not even sure how I would defend against such a thing.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: November 24, 2013, 03:48:48 pm »

No, he escaped later, rejoined his old civ, started hunting great beasts and helped defend against an attack a few years before worldgen end. He is still hunting great beasts I guess and is a webslinger plus is a master crossbowman. I'm not even sure how I would defend against such a thing.

Webbed traps? Very long hall filled with spears linked to a lever that is being pulled nonstop? That's about all I got w/o DFHack and uber-military. Though marksmen are definitely recommended for webbers, the frontline fighters would just end up stuck in webs because the cool-down on webslinging is way too short.

No wait, demons are building destroyers. Set up a support that holds up a portion of floor. Once he destroys the support, the floor will crash on his head. Try surrounding it with cage traps, so that if he survives he will be thrown into one. If a creature is stunned, they lose their [TRAPAVOID]

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: November 24, 2013, 04:09:08 pm »

building destroyers ignore supports.You can however lure it into a room by placing something in it to be destroyed and then colapse the ceiling on it. I can give you my design, but it's more fun to make one of your own :P
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: November 24, 2013, 04:22:23 pm »

building destroyers ignore supports.You can however lure it into a room by placing something in it to be destroyed and then colapse the ceiling on it. I can give you my design, but it's more fun to make one of your own :P

True.

Also, two questions:

1. Can dwarves use two handed swords? (I'm gonna guess no) If yes, how? I thought dwarves couldn't wield stuff like that in fort mode.

2. How do you create 'jaded' dwarves? I've seen people say that a couple times when talking about fighting undead.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:32:25 pm by smjjames »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: November 24, 2013, 04:37:32 pm »

True.

Also, two questions:

1. Can dwarves use two handed swords? (I'm gonna guess no)

2. How do you create 'jaded' dwarves? I've seen people say that a couple times when talking about fighting undead.

1. That's a known bug. Some should be large enough to able to use two handed weapons, but Fort logic won't allow them to because it checks racial size, and not the individual size of the dwarf. It works fine in adventure mode, though.

2. A jaded dwarf is a dwarf who "doesn't care about anything anymore". There is a "hardness" variable that defines how much a dwarf is accustomed to tragedy. They have to accumulate negative thoughts in order to raise this, and the higher it is, the less negative thoughts affect them. There will be a note in the dwarf's thought screen that relates to this, saying things like "is getting used to tragedy" or "is a hardened individual". The max is "doesn't care about anything anymore".

I've heard of assigning war/hunting dogs to soldiers, then having the dogs slowly killed off one by one to make the dwarf sad. But make sure to space out the deaths so that the dwarf has time to recover from the negative thought, so he doesn't go insane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: November 24, 2013, 04:42:24 pm »

I thought some people got dwarves to wield foriegn weapons like two handed swords?

Not sure if I can change the adamantine weapon using DFhack..... nah, I'll just find other uses for it. :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:46:04 pm by smjjames »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: November 24, 2013, 05:11:03 pm »

You can alter a 2H sword's raws so that dwarf-sized creatures can wield them in fortress mode. No regen necessary.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: November 24, 2013, 05:13:38 pm »

You can alter a 2H sword's raws so that dwarf-sized creatures can wield them in fortress mode. No regen necessary.

Oh cool, good to know.

I might just get creative with it instead or something.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:14:36 pm by smjjames »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: November 24, 2013, 06:38:58 pm »

yep, killing pets with enough time in between to recover from the shock will slowly make them immune from any negative emotion. Positive too, but that doesn't matter anymore by that time. As you probably know already that is important when fighting undead, because dwarfs get unhappy from getting hurt and from fighting undead at the same time.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: November 25, 2013, 08:19:20 pm »

I want to put this before my actual question:
I am not a very FUN person

Anyhow, I wanted to figure out how to make Evil Biomes less likely to appear. I read up a bit on meshing and biomes, and it seems to be that for some reason making things a million to one chance increases the chance somehow (or one to a million).
I use custom maps, and I want to know, how do I make Evil Biomes less likely to appear?

And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: November 26, 2013, 01:18:55 am »

there is actually a number specifying the minimum and possibly maximum number of for example evil biomes in advanced world gen. I can't tell you which number and how to change it for the desired results, but it should be possible
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 422