Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878968 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5535 on: November 17, 2013, 08:25:15 am »

You can place another gear between the gear below the single windmill and the building being powered, at a loss of 5 power (4 if you would have been putting an axle there anyway). If this doesn't overload the system, great. If it does, put the gear somewhere else in the system and engage it when you want the pump deactivated.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: November 18, 2013, 01:07:13 pm »

Hmmm.  Do building destroyers go after windmills?

*wanders off muttering about weaponizing windmills, and how potentially anti-Quixotic it might be

Yes, but you can build your windmill on top of a platform and then remove the stairs.

No, no, I WANT building destroyers to destroy Windmills.  Windmills that are powering something.  Something that when it becomes depowered results in certain things beginning to happen, starting a chain reaction that can lead to practically any sort of trap.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: November 18, 2013, 11:38:44 pm »

Sounds very dwarfy
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: November 19, 2013, 12:38:31 pm »

No, no, I WANT building destroyers to destroy Windmills.  Windmills that are powering something.  Something that when it becomes depowered results in certain things beginning to happen, starting a chain reaction that can lead to practically any sort of trap.

windmill powering a pump that evacuates water off a pressure plate?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: November 19, 2013, 12:54:13 pm »

Q: As of the 0.34.11 release, is there -still- some issues with stat increases from most tasks/skills being ridiculously pathetic?

I knew this was a problem with the DF2010 branch:

Question: the wiki says that mining increases willpower and spatial sense, yet my only miner, being legendary+5, only has a good spatial sense and average willpower (I surmise the latter due to it not even being mentioned in her profile). Does this mean that the miner's limits in those attributes have already been reached, or that reaching level 20 in mining still isn't enough to significantly improve a dwarf's stats? I've modded my dwarves in a way that's supposed to prevent skill- and attribute-rust, and at least the former demonstrably works. If anything, that mod should increase the rate at which dwarves gain attributes, and not decrease it, but now I don't know what to think anymore.

+stat rate from most tasks are ridiculously low, unlike in 40d. You may consider increasing the rate at which they increase their attributes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unless I'm mistaken, higher numbers are slower, so the values I've put in should be just what I wanted. Still, that miner doesn't seem to have gotten her stats increased by much, or even at all, even though she went from level 5 to 20 in less than a year.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: November 19, 2013, 12:57:03 pm »

Not sure, might want to mod out stat/skill rust?

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: November 19, 2013, 01:08:32 pm »

q1: What material do you make cages out of? I used lead, but it seem very heavy/slow and therefore not good for cave trapping.

q2: What animal do you prefare as "war animals"? I have Grizzly's (trainable), wolfs and giant dingos in my fort. I would guess the grizzly are most powerful, but is there a way to look it up?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: November 19, 2013, 01:13:28 pm »

q1: What material do you make cages out of? I used lead, but it seem very heavy/slow and therefore not good for cave trapping.

q2: What animal do you prefare as "war animals"? I have Grizzly's (trainable), wolfs and giant dingos in my fort. I would guess the grizzly are most powerful, but is there a way to look it up?

A1: Wood is best because it's easier to haul around.

A2: The best in general would probably be a giant something, but grizzlies are good. Really though, since you can just mod anything to be trainable for war if you wanted to, just about anything big would work.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: November 19, 2013, 01:17:12 pm »

Thank you for your fast reply :)

Will wood hold the creatures in? Or are all cages equal no matter what they are made of?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: November 19, 2013, 01:19:26 pm »

Or are all cages equal no matter what they are made of?

Yep, not even a Bronze Colossus can break out of a wood cage. Wood cages will still catch fire if exposed to it, or dragonbreath.

Though if something is ON fire and gets cage trapped, not sure. I think the cage will still be fine and the something will still be on fire and die. I've had captives die from injuries while in cages.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:21:46 pm by smjjames »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: November 19, 2013, 01:57:12 pm »

Re: stat boosts

Testing has shown that it's the time taken on a task that determines stat gain, not skill level. I don't think time spent on a job but not actively doing it counts -- if your miner spends 500 ticks walking to a tile and 50 mining it out, you probably only get 50 ticks of stat gain. The testing was done on a pair of engravers, with one having high speed and one having low speed. Despite engraving the same number of tiles, the slower dwarf got a bigger stat boost.

Physical stat boosts are sufficient to have a no-skill dwarf turning out high-quality goods on their first few attempts, so if you always have a couple of idling dwarves you can put them in the military to make them better crafters later on. They'll also pick up some combat skills, which is nice.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: November 19, 2013, 07:44:32 pm »

Activities/skill increases (apparently activities, though) increase a counter in an attribute that will increase the attribute once a certain level (500 by default) is reached on the counter. I think, given the above info, that that means that it's 5 seconds per stat increase. In the DBZ mod, I have it set up to be 75 instead of 500, which makes it pretty fast. Setting it to 1 and putting the cap to some extreme level is absolutely hilarious.

Twitchel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: November 20, 2013, 12:01:51 am »

new to the thread newbish to the game. but my question is because I read a lot of the 40k novels and such and hear of hive cities and I'm just wondering to myself "That is my next mega project" which would in fact be a combination of building up and down and with me I plan on giving (Though not need) all of my dwarves running water, so throw in a massive aqueduct/sewer/plumbing system.

the question would be how does one or what would be the easiest way to go about that. (Where would a good embark be how should the building architecture play out.)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: November 20, 2013, 12:56:21 am »

new to the thread newbish to the game. but my question is because I read a lot of the 40k novels and such and hear of hive cities and I'm just wondering to myself "That is my next mega project" which would in fact be a combination of building up and down and with me I plan on giving (Though not need) all of my dwarves running water, so throw in a massive aqueduct/sewer/plumbing system.

the question would be how does one or what would be the easiest way to go about that. (Where would a good embark be how should the building architecture play out.)

The obvious parts are that you would need a lot of stone and a source of renewable water. There are normally underground lakes in the majority of the world, but embarking on a river would probably save you from having to build more screw pumps than necessary. Screw pumps can be used to move water, and you will probably need a lot of them.

It might be better to embark on a flat area, so that you could get started on your hive city without having to move too much soil around to accommodate.

When building structures, don't use loose boulders. Turn all your boulders into blocks. This saves on materials, since 1 boulder makes 4 blocks. Though one wood log only gets one block, unfortunately. Same problem for glass, clay, and metal.

Finally, you will need to be aware of how water pressure works to avoid accidentally flooding your fort. So here's the wiki link:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Pressure

Twitchel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: November 20, 2013, 01:04:14 am »

Thanks going to need to do some surveying as it were when I get back to playing the game find a nice spot thats flat with a river.
I did try starting it today but it was a massive river and a massive hill wasn't quite what I was looking for and I wasn't sure how big a bridge I could build (Depending on where the trade caravans came from.
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 422