Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878986 times)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5520 on: November 15, 2013, 01:48:15 pm »

I usually disassemble part of the power train.  Is someone here saying I can link an on/off lever on a gear?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: November 15, 2013, 01:55:20 pm »

Yes, gears can be linked to levers - it's under "a", "link to a gear assembly". Switching the lever switches the gear assembly between engaged (transports/consumes power) and disengaged (doesn't).
The windmill must be supported by a solid building, so you cannot build it directly over a gear you wish to use for switching:
Code: [Select]
Gg%.
.#%#
.#x#
Windmill stands on gear G, the one next to it - "g" can be switched from the lever. If it's engaged, it will transmit power to the pump %% (pumping from north to south), if not, the pump turns off. The downside is that this already uses up the 20 power a windmill will provide in most biomes, so you have no power left over for axles or the like.

There are other options available: you could instead put a floodgate, door or raisable bridge in spot "x", the pump output. If that grid is blocked, the pump can no longer move liquid. Alternatively, you could place a lever-linked hatch cover over the tile the pump is pulling liquid from - if that hatch is closed, the pump cannot acquire liquid to move. In either case you can put the windmill directly on top of the pump; the pump itself can be active permanently.

And you can switch the pump by load - place the mill directly over the pump and attach enough switchable machinery to the pump that it will draw more power than the windmill can provide when the gears are engaged:
Code: [Select]
.%%g
#%%#
#..#
Two pumps side by side, windmill on top of one of the pumps. If the mill provides 20 power, that's just enough for two pumps, so when gear 'g' is engaged, load increases to 25 and the machine stops.

To halt a pump that's already installed without any switch-off machinery, you'll have to demolish the windmill, power train or pump if at all accessible. Or install some doors in the area that's about to get flooded and lock them. In some cases, you might have ways to stop liquid from reaching the pump intake. If you're unlucky, none of those options are available, which could mean you'll have to evacuate and re-build.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: November 15, 2013, 02:08:56 pm »

Two pumps side by side, windmill on top of one of the pumps. If the mill provides 20 power, that's just enough for two pumps, so when gear 'g' is engaged, load increases to 25 and the machine stops.

I'm loving this solution.  I'm going to put it in my notes as "break the camel's back"

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: November 15, 2013, 02:10:45 pm »

What is wrong with:

xxWxx
xxAxx
xxGxx

W = Windmill, A is axle (powered), g = gear. The gear is not powered.
If I place the screw same place as the gear it works.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 02:15:54 pm by Kirkegaard »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: November 15, 2013, 04:40:01 pm »

well, a windmill delivers power downwards, so you'd need to either make it on top of the pump or on a gear to change the axle direction. This means that the whole construction rests on the gear, which supports the windmill and any axles above it. The problem is that throwing the switch to 'deactivate' the gears stops the gears from supporting anything, making the whole thing collapse. You'd need to transfer power horizontally at some point to make deactivating a gearbox safe, which is not energy efficient.

as to:
So windmill - axle - gear - axle - screw pump?

edit: I can't really get the grip of this. The gear is not getting powered, and if I try for instance to vertical axles on top of each other the bottom one does not get powered.
most likely with the axles, you still have a floor between the different z-levels.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: November 15, 2013, 05:59:26 pm »

edit: I can't really get the grip of this. The gear is not getting powered, and if I try for instance to vertical axles on top of each other the bottom one does not get powered.
most likely with the axles, you still have a floor between the different z-levels.

You are right, it works now!

Thank you!

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: November 15, 2013, 08:33:54 pm »

Hey everyone! 

Does anyone out there know where I can find a list of reasons why dwarfs like certain objects, materials, and animals?  To me, these are the absolute funniest bits of the game as a whole - learning that dorfs like keas 'for their inquisitive nature' makes me laugh, especially when that inquisitive nature is so often crippling to my early forts!

So, yeah - is there such a list in the data files somewhere?  I checked the wiki for info, but despite there being a comprehensive, descriptive list of every material, as well as a solid explanation of the mechanics of dwarfen moods as a function of preferences, there seems to be nearly nothing on the in-game reasons for those preferences.  Except for liking 'Cows for their loud moos' <giggle>.

Help?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: November 15, 2013, 10:11:06 pm »

Hey everyone! 

Does anyone out there know where I can find a list of reasons why dwarfs like certain objects, materials, and animals?  To me, these are the absolute funniest bits of the game as a whole - learning that dorfs like keas 'for their inquisitive nature' makes me laugh, especially when that inquisitive nature is so often crippling to my early forts!

So, yeah - is there such a list in the data files somewhere?  I checked the wiki for info, but despite there being a comprehensive, descriptive list of every material, as well as a solid explanation of the mechanics of dwarfen moods as a function of preferences, there seems to be nearly nothing on the in-game reasons for those preferences.  Except for liking 'Cows for their loud moos' <giggle>.

Help?
There's not a single list.

Each animal entry has a section of prefstrings. You can see them on the wiki if you click the "raw" section that's usually hidden. Capybara's prefstrings are: enormous rodentness, graceful swimming, and resonant barking. Just click the raw section of this page to see for yourself:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Capybara

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: November 15, 2013, 10:23:10 pm »

Thank you for that.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: November 16, 2013, 09:45:01 am »

Cows are of course likeable for their haunting moos.  :)

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: November 16, 2013, 11:07:57 am »

I have more stupid questions.

Do different task that use buckets/barrels/others make them disappear or do they go back in the stockpile when used? For instance lye/ash/soap industry.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: November 16, 2013, 11:13:44 am »

Do different task that use buckets/barrels/others make them disappear or do they go back in the stockpile when used? For instance lye/ash/soap industry.

Creating workshops with buckets or barrels use them up (until you destruct the workshop)
But as far as I am aware no job destroys them.

While they are in use for milking, giving water to wounded or pets, lye making, etc, they might cause lots of cancellation messages from your dwarves. if you don't have extras around.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: November 16, 2013, 11:18:59 am »

Hmmm.  Do building destroyers go after windmills?

*wanders off muttering about weaponizing windmills, and how potentially anti-Quixotic it might be
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: November 16, 2013, 11:28:44 am »

Hmmm.  Do building destroyers go after windmills?

*wanders off muttering about weaponizing windmills, and how potentially anti-Quixotic it might be

Yes, but you can build your windmill on top of a platform and then remove the stairs.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: November 16, 2013, 11:39:29 am »

the other piece of this is that they may  leave a water bucket sitting just anywhere
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 422