Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879039 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5505 on: November 10, 2013, 05:57:53 pm »

It's worth noting that melancholic and raving dwarves will still respect burrow orders. I don't believe berserk dwarves will, though.

they effectively leave your fort the moment they go berserk and become an enemy, so that's no big surprise
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:56:20 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: November 10, 2013, 06:07:29 pm »

they effectively leave your fort the moment they go berserk and become an enemy, so that's no big surprise

He's melancholy, not berserk. If he were berserk, I wouldn't be asking about the vampire dwarf gone insane. :P

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: November 11, 2013, 05:55:48 am »

right, now how do I delete this message?

In any case, I was just replying to the post before that one.

Next question! :P
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:58:10 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: November 11, 2013, 02:52:56 pm »

does higher quality 'craftsdwarfship' in a weapon increase its lethality?

more specifically:
is there more actual danger in a danger room from well crafted training spears?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: November 11, 2013, 04:02:13 pm »

I believe quality level only affects the likelihood that a weapon will hit its mark.  If that is true, quality level shouldn't affect the lethality of a danger room since you'd want armor that would render the attacks harmless anyway.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: November 11, 2013, 04:08:13 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Quality

As mentioned, higher quality weapons will increase the likelihood to hit. Just make sure that your dwarves wear a helmet. Though even high quality spears shouldn't be a large risk, since training weapons have a massive contact area. If you have access to feather wood, make the spears from that, and set the workshop profile to only accept low-skilled workers.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: November 11, 2013, 04:19:30 pm »

As mentioned, higher quality weapons will increase the likelihood to hit. Just make sure that your dwarves wear a helmet. Though even high quality spears shouldn't be a large risk, since training weapons have a massive contact area. If you have access to feather wood, make the spears from that, and set the workshop profile to only accept low-skilled workers.
thanks
I was under impression workshop profile settings were for the selected level OR HIGHER
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: November 11, 2013, 04:25:18 pm »

thanks
I was under impression workshop profile settings were for the selected level OR HIGHER

Profiles let you set the range of skill levels that are allowed to use the workshop, by setting minimum and maximum levels. You can also set them so that only certain dwarves can use them, but I can't think of a purpose for that other than for role-playing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: November 11, 2013, 05:38:23 pm »

Questions regarding undead sieges:

1. If necromancers usually show up along with the undead siege, how come I'm not seeing any with the last two (considering the fact that I can see them using DFhacks slayrace)? I captured most of the necromancers and killed a few, but there is one that is unaccounted for, the grand master so to speak.

2. If in theory I had captured or killed all the necromancers, would the undead sieges still come?

Probably need to increase exported wealth or something because the FBs, werebeasts, etc haven't been real active and the sieges aren't frequent.

Also, I'm not in a or near an evil biome, this worldgen actually doesn't have any.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:59:31 pm by smjjames »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: November 11, 2013, 06:56:30 pm »

2. If in theory I had captured or killed all the necromancers, would the undead sieges still come?
Yes, but possibly far less frequently.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: November 11, 2013, 07:45:09 pm »

Profiles let you set the range of skill levels that are allowed to use the workshop, by setting minimum and maximum levels. You can also set them so that only certain dwarves can use them, but I can't think of a purpose for that other than for role-playing.

Role-playing is a damn fine reason for individual profiles in my book.

If you have few dwarfs, restricting a workshop to the single dwarf with the best skill is easier and more reliable than ratcheting up the skill limit to their rank. A skill that's gone "rusty" or worse will usually be treated as "dabbling" by workshop profiles, which can mess up workshops only used very irregularly. Personal profiles tend to get unfeasible once you go over 70 dwarfs, though.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:58:57 pm by Larix »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: November 11, 2013, 09:03:06 pm »

The first purpose that comes to my mind is training a specific dwarf's skill level.  You might want him to gain a particular skill in case of a future mood, or for attribute training, or simply to develop him into a legendary worker.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: November 15, 2013, 12:39:52 pm »

Hey,

I'm learning to use mechanics and have succeeded in linking a windmill to a screw pump, and it is now pumping water like an insane.

How can I make a on-off switch?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: November 15, 2013, 01:03:50 pm »

Hey,

I'm learning to use mechanics and have succeeded in linking a windmill to a screw pump, and it is now pumping water like an insane.

With gears. You can connect them to a lever. It's, uh, generally adviseable to do that part before connecting up the power.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: November 15, 2013, 01:22:02 pm »

Hey,

With gears. You can connect them to a lever. It's, uh, generally adviseable to do that part before connecting up the power.

So windmill - axle - gear - axle - screw pump?

edit: I can't really get the grip of this. The gear is not getting powered, and if I try for instance to vertical axles on top of each other the bottom one does not get powered.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:47:59 pm by Kirkegaard »
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 422