Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879050 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5460 on: October 27, 2013, 07:24:44 pm »

Er, I tried to take advantage of natural water pressure which ended up not actually working. Oh well, I can adapt the system a little to use a pump.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: October 28, 2013, 04:51:05 am »

Stuff like how to equip them, how to give them proper orders etc. still flabbergast me. (For instante, wild langurs keep raiding my settlement and outside of pulling up the drawbridge I have no clue how to tell my freaking fighters to just chop them up.)
Equip: [m] [e] [ U]
Defaults for melee and ranged are provided. Move the highlighting to the right and select a uniform, using Shift + Enter to apply it to the whole squad. That'll do for a start.

Kill Langurs: [ s] [<squad letter>] [m] <select station location>
You can also order them to kill the langurs by selecting said langurs off the creature list or highlighting the area they're in (instructions not given), but I prefer move orders. The creature list can be long and unwieldy, and the area select will apply the kill order to any valid creature within it. Either option will see the dwarves splitting up to chase individual targets. Since the langurs have a definite destination in mind, you can raise the drawbridge, station your fighters behind it, and then lower the bridge and wait for your targets to come to you. Then you can make langur burgers.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #5462 on: October 30, 2013, 08:11:58 am »

So a werebeast bit a war dog. Will the war dog also become a werebeast? Or is it only dwarves that are effected? (Were-Gecko, for those interested.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: October 30, 2013, 08:31:18 am »

No, only creatures with the 'intelligent' tag (I think, it's some specific tag) can become werebeasts. Which means pretty much every creature in the creature_standard.txt file.

I think I saw a kobold become a werebeast in legends.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: October 30, 2013, 08:47:26 am »

Well, the fortification is most likely going to be fully submerged. Should investigate into the wind power of the area.

If you use pressure to snake your water tunnel up/down a Z-level or two, you could place a grate at one of the ramps, abusing the fact that destroyers can't destroy from below.

Assuming the entire thing isn't going to be open to the surface.
Unfortunately, the grate won't work. If a grate is completely submerged, things can still swim through it. Only when there's water one one side and air on the other does a grate prevent things from passing through. It's one of those little things I find annoying. Also pressure is a funny thing in DF. "Natural" pressure seems able to push water up to Z-1 (where Z is the level the water is sourced from) whereas a pump on level Z can push water up to level Z. I noticed this behavior on a series of wells I made for my prison once.

The first well was connected to a source of water via a diagonal pressure reducer. Later, I built more wells nearby during the construction of a prison complex and decided to connect all the wells together via tunnels at their base and have those tunnels connect to the bottom of the first well (let me take advantage of the access stairwell used during the digging of the first well). When I turned on the water again, the first well filled up to the top like it had previously. However, all the other wells filled up to one level below the first well. I've since noticed that Z-1 behavior repeatedly in different situations.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #5465 on: October 30, 2013, 06:59:50 pm »

No, only creatures with the 'intelligent' tag (I think, it's some specific tag) can become werebeasts. Which means pretty much every creature in the creature_standard.txt file.

I think I saw a kobold become a werebeast in legends.

Excellent, thank you!

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: October 30, 2013, 10:06:21 pm »

I was doing shallow plumbing work (part of My Big Megaproject, you'll probably see more of that later), when I accidentally exposed the water channel to the outside - which would be fine, if I weren't working in a freezing biome. The channel's blocked up with ice, and there are works on the sides and below that stop me from going around it. Is there any way, including modification, for me to undo this or alternately keep the ice melted, perhaps by using magma?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:08:12 pm by Aaarrgh! »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: October 30, 2013, 10:11:46 pm »

I was doing shallow plumbing work, when I accidentally exposed the water channel to the outside - which would be fine, if I weren't working in a freezing biome. The channel's blocked up with ice, and there are works on the sides and below that stop me from going around it. Is there any way, including modification, for me to undo this or alternately keep the ice melted, perhaps by using magam?

Running magma underneath the iced tile should thaw it.

I'm not sure if turning off temperature will melt the ice, but I think that would be unlikely. You could off temperature, then mine the blocked tile, but you would have to leave temperature off or else it would just freeze again.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: October 30, 2013, 11:18:46 pm »

Just tried that. Didn't work.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: October 31, 2013, 04:38:01 am »

Then I can legitimately say that you're not using enough magma. Running magma directly under the natural ice block should melt it; if it doesn't, you've either turned temperature stuff off, or it's ball-shrivellingly cold on your map.

And I don't know if it's possible for a map to get cold enough that direct underfloor magma heating would fail to melt the ice.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: October 31, 2013, 05:08:38 am »

Then I can legitimately say that you're not using enough magma. Running magma directly under the natural ice block should melt it; if it doesn't, you've either turned temperature stuff off, or it's ball-shrivellingly cold on your map.

And I don't know if it's possible for a map to get cold enough that direct underfloor magma heating would fail to melt the ice.
Hmm, maybe it's my method. I:
Drained the channel,
Channeled out the ice blocks to create a trench,
Spawned enough magma directly above the trench to fill it (spawning it directly doesn't seem to work properly),
Constructed a floor to cover the trench,
And flooded the channel again.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: October 31, 2013, 05:20:51 am »

I wonder if it's because you're spawning it? I know jack about dfhack.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: October 31, 2013, 05:36:10 am »

I wonder if it's because you're spawning it? I know jack about dfhack.
The trench walls show as warm, so there shouldn't be a reason why the roof isn't, either.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: October 31, 2013, 06:00:23 am »

You need 7/7 magma to melt ice from underneath. Do you have enough magma to maintain 7/7 magma depth?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: October 31, 2013, 08:35:50 am »

I seem to recall a previous thread involving magma melting ice. It turned out that flowing magma melted the ice, but as soon as the flow stopped, the ice reformed. Perhaps that's your problem?
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 422