Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879001 times)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5445 on: October 26, 2013, 12:24:20 pm »

I've been trying a new tactic for clearing freshly dug areas.  I've been mass dumping the area to a garbage zone in the center of a my stomeworkers and reclaiming as I want to use different materials. 

I ran into a hiccup in a particular area: it just wasn't being cleared.  I tried removing the dump designation, trying forbidding/unforbidding.  I dug out an addition path to it.  I added a dump zone to the middle of the area. 

Is it possible that my queued up jobs in manager have 'claimed dibs' on the stones?  I think (C)onstruction orders do claim blocks when the order is given.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: October 26, 2013, 01:46:00 pm »

Construction (& I believe, other build jobs) do indeed claim the materials when you create them.

Edit; Erroneous Info (sorry):The other problem you might be having is that I believe the size of a stockpile or garbage dump, in tiles, sets an upper limit on how many dwarves can be interacting with it at one time (IOW, I think a 1-tile garbage dump is only ever going to generate 1 "dump" task at a time).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 06:14:01 pm by JAFANZ »

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: October 26, 2013, 01:56:46 pm »

Construction (& I believe, other build jobs) do indeed claim the materials when you create them.

The other problem you might be having is that I believe the size of a stockpile or garbage dump, in tiles, sets an upper limit on how many dwarves can be interacting with it at one time (IOW, I think a 1-tile garbage dump is only ever going to generate 1 "dump" task at a time).

I've had 40 dwarfs swarm a mass dump area to bring to the one tile dump, so I don't think that could be the whole answer.  What about the pile of reclaimed stone on that tile for use by nearby workshops?  Not to mention the second dump tile that I tried to use.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: October 26, 2013, 02:55:48 pm »

most likely, as you said, it's reserved for wall construction or the like
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: October 26, 2013, 03:10:10 pm »

I've been trying a new tactic for clearing freshly dug areas.  I've been mass dumping the area to a garbage zone in the center of a my stomeworkers and reclaiming as I want to use different materials. 

I ran into a hiccup in a particular area: it just wasn't being cleared.  I tried removing the dump designation, trying forbidding/unforbidding.  I dug out an addition path to it.  I added a dump zone to the middle of the area. 

Is it possible that my queued up jobs in manager have 'claimed dibs' on the stones?  I think (C)onstruction orders do claim blocks when the order is given.

As far as I know, only active jobs claim materials, that is only one stone per workshop. Constructions claim all necessary materials.  Anyway, those usually claim the nearest materials. Did you order to costruct any big buildings nearby?

The other problem you might be having is that I believe the size of a stockpile or garbage dump, in tiles, sets an upper limit on how many dwarves can be interacting with it at one time (IOW, I think a 1-tile garbage dump is only ever going to generate 1 "dump" task at a time).

I think, it is dumped items that generate jobs, not dumping zone.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5450 on: October 26, 2013, 06:16:19 pm »

Apologies, that comment about dumping was based on my interpretation of observed behaviour (i.e. mass dumped food rotting in place rather than being dumped on the garbage dump with a food stockpile underneath), not !!SCIENCE!!.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: October 27, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »

on the east edge of the zone the 'refused dumps' were all within 5 of the map edge and on the north edge it was 6.  If it had been 5 on both I'd have tagged that as being related to contruction blocking at map edges.

I sent then all to a stockpile then dumped from the stockpile.  Next embark I'll see if it will repeat.

masterkazoom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: October 27, 2013, 12:57:31 pm »

Hey friends, first time posting, have been playing DW for some time, usually following all those amazing video guides out there. I have a problem with how to approach the game after the third immigration waves hits (the one that brings you to 50~) - it's always a HUGE change because suddenly I have so many workers and things to keep track off I lose my head. I usually start my military around this time but I don't know what else is usually a good idea to do around this time - the bigger my fort gets, the more likely I'm going to be attacked, right? I've perused a lot of guides but I never get any concrete advice what to do in this transition :X

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: October 27, 2013, 02:02:42 pm »

I don't get those big third-wave rushes, regardless of what I've been doing in terms of wealth production. Something I always do is to set the pop cap to 35 or so and raise it a touch when I want more bodies, and it may be this that limits the size of the first non-mandatory migration wave.

If you're stuck with a bunch of extra dwarves, put them on food / drink / bed / space production (this is always a safe bet) or in squads of three. Having a teacher and all is good, but diluting any current military force by turning one squad of three competent dwarves into three squads of mostly goblin fodder is bad.

Give your newbie military a helm and mail shirt / breastplate plus a pair of shields each and let them spar. The helm and torso protection are just in case they try any wrestling moves and end up skidding somebody's upper spine across the floor. Once you've got enough armour to cover them and they have enough shield skill (Proficient at the very least, Accomplished if you have time), armour them up and let them wrestle. Once they've gained some armour skill and aren't slower than a goblin while armoured, you can either give them a 'proper' weapon or let them wield a @copper shield@ in each hand. A heavy shield is a perfectly good substitute for a hammer.

The squads of three are to reduce the amount of catch-up demonstrations needed, while allowing for at least one sparring partner to be available to any one dwarf. Give your military waterskins, always -- drinking is a huge time sink, and waterskins make the process much quicker.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

masterkazoom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: October 27, 2013, 02:21:42 pm »

thanks for the tips! I was just going to start to heavily go into crafting and building defenses. The whole military is still kinda iffy to me since the small tutorial on the wiki doesn't cover it all that well. Stuff like how to equip them, how to give them proper orders etc. still flabbergast me. (For instante, wild langurs keep raiding my settlement and outside of pulling up the drawbridge I have no clue how to tell my freaking fighters to just chop them up.)

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: October 27, 2013, 02:26:43 pm »

You will have sieges after 80 population. If you are not ready for them, try not to create too much wealth. I usually try to have at least one metal-equipped squad by that time.

About work managment: When you have enough dwarfpower make "guilds". For example, find 4 useless dwarfs, give them nicknames Engraver1, Engraver2, Engraver3 and Engraver4, disable everything except stone detailing and send them smooth everything. When they got legendary status, send them engrave everything. You don't have to have an eye on each dwarf, only on "guilds".

Things you may want to do when you got extra dwarfpower:
Dig all the way down to magma, every 10 layers search for caverns and ores. Then dig a decent (I make 3x3) bedroom for everyone.
Move all your metal industry down to magma (or move magma up).
Smooth end engrave everything, starting with the dining room and bedrooms.
Provide everyone with all kinds of furniture.
Cut down all the trees (including those in caverns).
Make caverns secure by building walls right up to the map edge. (Don't forget about fliers and swimmers)
Prepare everything for the next 50 immigrating dwarfs. Prepare rooms for nobles in advance.
Make a quantum stockpile near your mason's workshop and bring there couple hundreds stones so the mason don't spend time bringing stone. The same with other workshops.
And so on.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: October 27, 2013, 06:39:52 pm »

Would my fort be safe if I put constructed fortifications next to a stream (and then channel the streambank) for water access to the fort itself? I've heard of some glitches where creatures can pass through fortifications, mainly I'm just wondering if zombies will get into the well system.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: October 27, 2013, 06:46:25 pm »

Would my fort be safe if I put constructed fortifications next to a stream (and then channel the streambank) for water access to the fort itself? I've heard of some glitches where creatures can pass through fortifications, mainly I'm just wondering if zombies will get into the well system.

From what I understand, they won't get through unless water pushes them through or the fortification is fully submerged.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: October 27, 2013, 06:52:52 pm »

Well, the fortification is most likely going to be fully submerged. Should investigate into the wind power of the area.

Edit: Total power: 40, nice.

Edit2: What about wall grates or bars?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 06:57:54 pm by smjjames »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: October 27, 2013, 07:02:26 pm »

Well, the fortification is most likely going to be fully submerged. Should investigate into the wind power of the area.

If you use pressure to snake your water tunnel up/down a Z-level or two, you could place a grate at one of the ramps, abusing the fact that destroyers can't destroy from below.

Assuming the entire thing isn't going to be open to the surface.
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 422