Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879004 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5415 on: October 17, 2013, 12:10:45 pm »

In a much older version there was an attempt to simulate caveins because of inadequate support, but it was removed until a more realistic solution could be found that wasn't too irritating and that would work in real time.  I seem to recall that Toady was doubtful that would happen any time soon, and possibly never.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: October 18, 2013, 12:07:20 am »

In a nutshell: How do I force my dwarfs to stop fighting? And I did read military FAQ in the wiki.

I just started a new fort and needed to kill an undead raven. My two dogs couldn't kill it, so I recruited all my 7 dwarfs and send them unarmed to the raven. They were wrestling it for a month and now they all are legendary+5 wrestlers. But they still can't kill it and I can't stop them fighting. I tried to cancel their orders and to return them to civilian status. Looks like legendary warriors are too self-confident to run away from enemies. So, all my dwarfs stuck with the raven and are getting unhappy, hungry, thirsty and drowsy. And I doubt they will manage to kill the raven before they starve to death. Any ideas how to stop them fighting?
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: October 18, 2013, 12:12:32 am »

In a nutshell: How do I force my dwarfs to stop fighting? And I did read military FAQ in the wiki.

I just started a new fort and needed to kill an undead raven. My two dogs couldn't kill it, so I recruited all my 7 dwarfs and send them unarmed to the raven. They were wrestling it for a month and now they all are legendary+5 wrestlers. But they still can't kill it and I can't stop them fighting. I tried to cancel their orders and to return them to civilian status. Looks like legendary warriors are too self-confident to run away from enemies. So, all my dwarfs stuck with the raven and are getting unhappy, hungry, thirsty and drowsy. And I doubt they will manage to kill the raven before they starve to death. Any ideas how to stop them fighting?
Delete the squad.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: October 18, 2013, 12:32:29 am »

Delete the squad.

Didn't help. They became civilians but continue fighting.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: October 18, 2013, 02:52:05 am »

at least they have a chance that they run away now
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: October 18, 2013, 10:26:56 am »

Do they?  I thought when skills progressed to certain point they no longer ran.

Do we suppose the root of the problem is that undead can only be killed by cutting off their heads?  Need a migrant wave with an axe/sword?  Kucky path of caravan?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: October 18, 2013, 11:11:02 am »

Do they?  I thought when skills progressed to certain point they no longer ran.

Well, they didn't run. All died of thirst around 15th Malachite. I never had all my initial dwarfs dead that early.

Do we suppose the root of the problem is that undead can only be killed by cutting off their heads?  Need a migrant wave with an axe/sword?  Kucky path of caravan?

Looks like it was. Although my dogs did manage to kill another undead raven without any help from dwarfs. I wonder why couldn't they kill this one.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: October 18, 2013, 03:54:14 pm »

hammers and maces can 'kill' undead too, iirc
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: October 18, 2013, 06:18:56 pm »

Okay so im trying to build a massive tower with a channeled out basement for undergound aboveground farming ^^ and now i want to floor it all over. However, due to some recent *aghem* accidents with cave ins and mountains comming down on some unfortunate woodlovers, i started thinking i might need support for my floors.

So say i have channeled out a huge 30x30 square and i want to floor over it, at what point will the floors start to collaps? as in how far from the edge i start building my floor on can i go before i absolutely need to build support units?

say x is a regular (unmined) dirt block and x is a spot of open air due to it being channelled out, how far can i floor over it with c before all of it collapses due to not having any support

a c c c x x x
a c c x x x x
a c c c c c c

At what point will this whole scheme tumble to dust?

sorry for any wrong use of terms/words english is not my native tongue.

As others pointed out, in DF there's no need for load-bearing walls. I've had 30x30 towers and greater with no cave-in problems.

I suspect your issue might be that the lovable little morons building floors in the wrong order. Let's say you have a stairway surrounded by floors like this:
ABA
BXB
ABA

If they build any A square before the B square that's by it there will be a cave-in. When you're building major constructions like this your main problem is getting them to build things in the right order, and generally you have to suspend construction on at least half your tiles or they'll a) build through the 894 squares you don't need yet, while the six squares you needed built yesterday wait in the job queue, b) cut themselves off from the rest of the fortress by building walls in the wrong order (it's not unusual for you to not notice this until your legendary mason has starved himself to death), and/or c) cause unnecessary cave-ins.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: October 18, 2013, 06:44:31 pm »

Dwarves won't build floors and walls in an order that causes caveins, unless you've created extra access using a bridge, hatch, or grate. You can order a 20x20 chunk of floor to be constructed, and no dwarf will try and build diagonally.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: October 18, 2013, 07:08:10 pm »

If there is a nacromancer in a camp and you make a fort close enough, will the necromancer siege your fort?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: October 19, 2013, 02:50:43 pm »

What are the numbers some pots (& other things) get? (e.g. "<#6>", "<#11>", & "<#17>")

I first thought they were related to the build order that made them (i.e. #6 was the 6th item of a Make Rock Pots x6" order), but I've seen (apparently) the same pot with a different # (& also, #'s 11 & 17 were both results from smaller batches), so then I thought it related to the contents, except that Pot #6 was empty when it was Pot #4.

I've also (just) noticed that it's not just Pots & Barrels that get these numbers, I have a 2 #4 wheelbarrows at the moment.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: October 19, 2013, 02:54:26 pm »

What are the numbers some pots (& other things) get? (e.g. "<#6>", "<#11>", & "<#17>")

I first thought they were related to the build order that made them (i.e. #6 was the 6th item of a Make Rock Pots x6" order), but I've seen (apparently) the same pot with a different # (& also, #'s 11 & 17 were both results from smaller batches), so then I thought it related to the contents, except that Pot #6 was empty when it was Pot #4.

I've also (just) noticed that it's not just Pots & Barrels that get these numbers, I have a 2 #4 wheelbarrows at the moment.

That number is which stockpile it belongs to, AFAIK.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: October 19, 2013, 04:10:38 pm »

Useful to know. Thank you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5429 on: October 21, 2013, 07:19:17 am »

Judging by how silk collectors briefly become webimmune when harvesting various spider silks, am I safe in assuming that it is perfectly ok to send my craftsdwarves out to collect a field of FB silk that has covered my traps without them ending in gory deaths?
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 422