Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879325 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5190 on: September 12, 2013, 05:37:38 pm »

Smoothing doesn't work.  I've got the occassional bush cropping up in the mud near my waterfall.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: September 12, 2013, 05:48:01 pm »

Hrm, the trees themselves don't obstruct the waterflow do they? Probably don't have to floor over the entire thing and besides flooring the reservoir alone would require 1,300+ blocks.

Actually, from the wiki, it sounds like it would be pointless to build floors because underground stuff will grow on muddied floors.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 05:59:52 pm by smjjames »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: September 12, 2013, 05:58:30 pm »

Hrm, the trees themselves don't obstruct the waterflow do they? Probably don't have to floor over the entire thing and besides flooring the reservoir alone would require 1,300+ blocks.

Trees obstruct waterflow.  Makes for a wonderful woodcutter surprise.

"I'll just cut this tree down... OH GOD IT'S NEW ORLEANS ALL OVER AGAIN!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: September 12, 2013, 06:02:12 pm »

Hrm, well okay, what about building floors? I know the wiki says that saplings won't mature until the sater level drops, but I'm trying to see about ways to keep the reservoir and river channel from getting blocked up.

sandi Mexicola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: September 12, 2013, 06:06:04 pm »

i sometimes pave my aqueducts, after digging and before filling! :)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: September 12, 2013, 06:07:01 pm »

As in paved roads? Hm, yea that could work.

sandi Mexicola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: September 12, 2013, 06:08:23 pm »

yeah, paved roads, seems faster than building floors

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: September 12, 2013, 06:49:34 pm »

Are there ways of making sure trees don't grow on muddied ground underwater besides constructing floors or bridges? I thought I had read that smoothing also works, but I'm trying to find that out on the wiki. I don't have enough stone blocks to cover the whole river channel and the floor of the reservoir.
Gonna have to construct something... Cheapest I've found is paved roads for long term plant prevention. Mind, the trees will only grow on muddied floor that isn't currently underwater, so I don't bother paving cisterns or such. But will pave drainage channels that are only wet intermediately. Those tend to get quite muddy and quite good at growing things I don't want. But cisterns stay filled and as such aren't a problem.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: September 13, 2013, 03:32:42 am »

Also I read it on the wiki that, equipping bone greaves is possible via telling dwarves to wear white metal greaves, yet they equip iron greaves. (I solved it by giving them leggings instead, but still.)
Is iron white? Are dwarves color blind?
As for the bone armor, I haven't messed with that and squads yet, but yea the equipment and uniform menus are kind of fiddly.
[/quote]

I realised my error, I had partial matches for the uniform, instead of exact matches.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: September 13, 2013, 07:40:03 am »

Does clothing contibue to wear out on caged units? I was thinking about a ghost-proof way to use a vampire as a fortress immortalizer (as in, can't get a game over because thoere is always at least one living dwarf).
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: September 13, 2013, 09:10:38 am »

Does clothing contibue to wear out on caged units? I was thinking about a ghost-proof way to use a vampire as a fortress immortalizer (as in, can't get a game over because thoere is always at least one living dwarf).

I don't think so, however, can vampires die from hunger for blood? Also, said vampire could still go insane in the cage.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: September 13, 2013, 03:16:14 pm »

Clothing wears out on caged prisoners, and I don't see any reason for friendly units to be excluded from this.

Armour doesn't, so ensure that your caged vampire is wearing boots, leggings/greaves, and leather armour or a mail shirt/breastplate. Having no thoughts other than 'depressed about being confined', they should level out just below the default dwarven mood of 100, leaving them feeling fine. If they have any friends or family, the death of those dwarves will lower the vampire's mood (I think, anyway). Attachments to friends will fade over time, iirc, but as an added precaution you can get the vampire used to tragedy before they're caged.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Vagabond.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: September 14, 2013, 07:46:59 am »

Qustion: How do you manage to get a lot of iron in your world?
If I do something incredibly idiotic, slap me.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: September 14, 2013, 08:01:51 am »

Just set the mineral scarcity to a low number, like between 200-500. However, even that isn't an absolute guarantee that you will have tons of iron on the site, it's still possible to get an iron poor site.

If you have DFhack, you can use the prospect command pre-embark to get an idea of how much iron there is.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: September 14, 2013, 11:24:11 am »

iron most often appears in sedimentary layers. If you have a high level of volcanism and lots of volcanos, you might have a bit less sediments. Mountains are, usually, low on sedimentary layers while river valleys have a bigger chance for them. Lots of soil is often a good indication of sedimentary layers, as most soil is a sediment too
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 422