Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879303 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5175 on: September 11, 2013, 04:56:10 pm »

Well, if anybody knows of a way that this might be possible, let me know :D

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: September 11, 2013, 06:11:23 pm »

Do baby grazers eat less than their adult counterparts? If so by what degree?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: September 11, 2013, 06:37:42 pm »

I think that, yes, it will refill to the original top level
Yes.

The whole embark tile on which the pipe sits generates magma until it's halted by solid floor or reaches its original level.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: September 11, 2013, 06:52:44 pm »

My civilization has no important leaders, they didn't send a caravan in the fall of the first year, and in the Legends screen they haven't had any events in nearly 1000 years. Are they gone? I'm not getting any more migrants, am I?

Do baby grazers eat less than their adult counterparts? If so by what degree?

I don't believe so, but it's probably best to overallocate space for each animal you have. It's almost impossible to keep track of it when all your animals get hungry and you'd lose more production if you forgot and let an animal starve than you would if you gave a few extra tiles to a pasture. Besides, it'd be an adult soon and then it'd definitely the full amount of grass.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:54:19 pm by beefsupreme »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: September 11, 2013, 07:41:27 pm »

I think that, yes, it will refill to the original top level
Yes.

The whole embark tile on which the pipe sits generates magma until it's halted by solid floor or reaches its original level.

Damn, so much for that idea, though MAYBE I can do something with making a cap somewhere?

My civilization has no important leaders, they didn't send a caravan in the fall of the first year, and in the Legends screen they haven't had any events in nearly 1000 years. Are they gone? I'm not getting any more migrants, am I?

It's dead Jim. (random Star Trek reference, lol)

Really though, if they haven't had any events in almost a thousand years, all you'd find are ruins, if they haven't been razed or built over.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: September 11, 2013, 07:46:52 pm »

Really though, if they haven't had any events in almost a thousand years, all you'd find are ruins, if they haven't been razed or built over.

Is there any way I could somehow increase my population drastically? I'm willing to abandon and reclaim with a new civilization, but I'd prefer to modify some raws or something to increase my population growth. I've got enough dwarfs for 6 married pairs if I can mate them all off. I already have the [CHILD:12] tag set to [CHILD:2] so I can use child labor, but I don't know how to increase my actual birth rate.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: September 11, 2013, 08:36:06 pm »

Is there any way I could somehow increase my population drastically? I'm willing to abandon and reclaim with a new civilization, but I'd prefer to modify some raws or something to increase my population growth. I've got enough dwarfs for 6 married pairs if I can mate them all off. I already have the [CHILD:12] tag set to [CHILD:2] so I can use child labor, but I don't know how to increase my actual birth rate.

[LITTERSIZE:MIN:MAX]

You cannot manipulate how often a creature gives birth, so may as well make them have more children per pregnancy.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: September 11, 2013, 09:05:40 pm »

Damn, so much for that idea, though MAYBE I can do something with making a cap somewhere?
You can drain the pipe and floor over the lowest safe level. You'll need to do different things depending on how many levels you want draining and how close to the lowest drain level you're building your floor. If you have time to build the floor before the magma comes back up, you don't need to halt the rise of the magma.

Do you have sourced surface water? If so, you can turn off pausing and announcing for cave-ins and redirect the river into the centre of the volcano. This will give your FPS a hammering, but the pipe will drain quite quickly from the dwarves' point of view. Once you can put a floor down that's out of range of the cave-in dust, build most of the floor before turning the water supply off.

Alternatively, build a small amount of floor and a large number of magma-safe bridges. This gives you the option of hooking them up to a lever at a later date and then uncapping the volcano as required. It won't be that spectacular without pumps, but you could do some interesting things with a winding path walled with fortifications.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: September 11, 2013, 09:22:00 pm »

I have a brook, would that work? Also the top of the volcano is 33 z levels above ground level, not that I couldn't build a pump stack.

Actually, I can just make a large reservoir to store the water in.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:56:33 am by smjjames »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: September 12, 2013, 01:54:46 pm »

Brook's fine. A major river would be better, since it has more water source tiles, but if it turns out not to be enough you may have to start bringing up cavern water.

Where are you going to put the reservoir, and what are you going to do with it?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: September 12, 2013, 02:07:19 pm »

The reservoir is almost finished being dig out. Although I had better check the positioning vs the magma pipe, but a short feeder tunnel to where the pumps would be should be fine. I already described the reservoir in the 'what's going on in your fort' thread and I'm using it as a reservoir for the pump stack to make up for the lower flow from the brook. I'm also thinking of using it as a multipurpose reservoir and besides, I want a water source that my dwarves can use because the brook is on the opposite side of the embark and outside my fort entrance.

If by where you mean z level, it's at ground level and is 4 z levels deep.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whimsywink has bugun a mysterious construction!
« Reply #5186 on: September 12, 2013, 02:34:46 pm »

Does a cave in/falling construction stop at first obstructed z level?  Or is there a matter of weight, momentum and ,I dunno, 'tensile strength'?  Does a cave in or falling construction (which I assume deconstructs when it falls) do damage based on the mass and/or velocity of object(s) 'reducing z value'?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Whimsywink has bugun a mysterious construction!
« Reply #5187 on: September 12, 2013, 02:52:42 pm »

Does a cave in/falling construction stop at first obstructed z level?  Or is there a matter of weight, momentum and ,I dunno, 'tensile strength'?  Does a cave in or falling construction (which I assume deconstructs when it falls) do damage based on the mass and/or velocity of object(s) 'reducing z value'?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cave_in

Depends on what it lands on. Floors should remain intact so long as there is something directly underneath them that can support them, whether it's natural/constructed walls or supports. Though I've had smoothed and constructed floors destroyed after a cave-in. The rock wall underneath was usually still intact somehow.

But I don't have much experience with controlled cave-ins, so you may want to save beforehand just in case something goes wrong.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whimsywink has bugun a mysterious construction!
« Reply #5188 on: September 12, 2013, 04:28:32 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cave_in

Depends on what it lands on. Floors should remain intact so long as there is something directly underneath them that can support them, whether it's natural/constructed walls or supports. Though I've had smoothed and constructed floors destroyed after a cave-in. The rock wall underneath was usually still intact somehow.

But I don't have much experience with controlled cave-ins, so you may want to save beforehand just in case something goes wrong.

Thanks for the link.  That pretty much explains an accidental cave-in punching through the smoothed floor and continuing on. 

Which brings me to another question, but I'll do the 'due diligence' on it first and check the wiki
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: September 12, 2013, 05:23:15 pm »

Are there ways of making sure trees don't grow on muddied ground underwater besides constructing floors or bridges? I thought I had read that smoothing also works, but I'm trying to find that out on the wiki. I don't have enough stone blocks to cover the whole river channel and the floor of the reservoir.
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 422