Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879324 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5145 on: September 08, 2013, 05:17:48 pm »

I already have two former migrants with high animal training skill, so I used those. I kept two of the langurs and butchered the other since my fort is a bit low on food rations (not starvingly low, but I do need a resupply). Even made a pen area for them.

I don't know if it's a one time occurance since that's just the only time they tried raiding the fort and I don't really pay attention to the comings and goings of wildlife.

Edit: AAAND, just now a troop of regular gray langurs decided to assault the fort, lol.

They might even be already pregnant, if they originally had males in the group with them when they got trapped. Since people have had wild animals (that hang around for longer than usual) give birth. But I guess you should have, or should be, finding out about that soon enough.

My question: I have a dozen or so creeping eyes hanging around in the water in cavern level 3. I read already that they don't drown due to lack of lungs, but are they stuck, or will they path out of there at some point? (edit: removed sentence due to off-topic rambling)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:35:33 pm by Snaake »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: September 08, 2013, 05:38:58 pm »

I have a bunch of giant gray langurs that got themselves trapped in an attempt to raid the fort, all female, are they worth keeping to breed and tame? I REALLY need to get a meat industry going, heh.

Given their size, they should provide a lot of meat. They also live respectably long lives, about 30 to 40 years.

The downside is that they will take 3 years to mature into adults. Though they should reach their adult size at year 2.

3 years? Dang. I'm not desperate for foodstuffs for the fort anyway and the bunch of animals that the elves just brought (and I purchased and about to butcher) will provide some supplemental food.

Also, I'm in a savage biome with plenty of giant animals roaming around, so I guess I could scatter some cages around.....

I do have a rhino calf (I modded their grazer tag to around that of an alpaca or kangaroo), but I think they take 10 years to mature or something because I got the mom off the elves really early at year 2 or 3 and a year or two later she gave birth to two female calves. One calf got killed by goblins and the mom died from starvation somehow. The calf is currently in a safe pasture area and it's currently year 7 of the fort.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:43:19 pm by smjjames »

Vagabond.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: September 08, 2013, 05:47:15 pm »

Another question, though this should probobly go into the Mod section:
How can you alter the ammount of Dwarves you get on an Embark?
If I do something incredibly idiotic, slap me.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: September 08, 2013, 05:59:04 pm »

When playing as an adventurer, do projectiles auto-correct trajectory or do you need to lead the target? (Or, for that matter, are projectiles instant despite the visible projectile?)

I've never had much luck hitting stuff, but then again I've never bothered to train the related skills enough (in other words, too much spread to tell.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:03:18 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: September 08, 2013, 06:05:42 pm »

When playing as an adventurer, do projectiles auto-correct trajectory or do you need to lead the target? (Or, for that matter, are projectiles instant despite the visible projectile?)

I've never had much luck hitting stuff, but then again I've never bothered to train the related skills enough (in other words, too much spread to tell.)
I'm pretty sure that projectiles are instant, though I could be wrong.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: September 08, 2013, 06:33:55 pm »

Another question, though this should probobly go into the Mod section:
How can you alter the ammount of Dwarves you get on an Embark?

There's a script for DFHack called startdwarf that allows you to alter how many dwarves you start with on embark. I think it's included with the latest version of the Lazy Newb Pack.

The script has to be used while choosing an embark site, before choosing an embark profile.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: September 10, 2013, 05:57:28 am »

Do burning artifacts show that they are on fire, or do they just produce smoke silently?

If an artifact is burning will it cool off after a time?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: September 10, 2013, 07:10:32 am »

I think I recall that artifacts are immune to fire, magma and even dragonfire but they can still catch fire, so you'd have tp put them out with water.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: September 10, 2013, 10:28:43 am »

How do I get a stockpile next to the still to get reserved barrels? I know I managed it before, but I forget how, other than telling the main stockpile to send to that small one. The main furniture stockpile is right above the still anyway and with the workflow, I have no problem maintaining the drinks anyway.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: September 10, 2013, 11:01:37 am »

I've never used the reserved barrels feature so I'm not positive, but in my experience it's easy and effective enough to do just what you said: tell a main stockpile to give to a barrel stockpile next to the still.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: September 10, 2013, 12:04:31 pm »

I think I recall that artifacts are immune to fire, magma and even dragonfire but they can still catch fire, so you'd have tp put them out with water.

Is there an easier way than flooding the entire area?

Also I read it on the wiki that, equipping bone greaves is possible via telling dwarves to wear white metal greaves, yet they equip iron greaves. (I solved it by giving them leggings instead, but still.)
Is iron white? Are dwarves color blind?

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: September 10, 2013, 12:37:41 pm »

dump it to a pit designation and change it to a pond?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: September 10, 2013, 02:36:35 pm »

Not if its  on !!!FIRE!!! though.

Is there an easier way than flooding the entire area?

Also I read it on the wiki that, equipping bone greaves is possible via telling dwarves to wear white metal greaves, yet they equip iron greaves. (I solved it by giving them leggings instead, but still.)
Is iron white? Are dwarves color blind?

Put walls around said smoking artifact if you have to, then make a channel above it and make it into a pond.

As for the bone armor, I haven't messed with that and squads yet, but yea the equipment and uniform menus are kind of fiddly.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: September 10, 2013, 02:45:12 pm »

I embarked with a ton of bituminous coal, but unexpectedly gained early access to magma workshops. What is the best use for 81 units of coal?

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: September 10, 2013, 02:58:39 pm »

Not if its  on !!!FIRE!!! though.

I was guessing.  That wouldn't stop me from trying to channel right there and make the pond.  unless z-1 was already dug out of course
Ellipsis free since August 2013.
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 422