Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879326 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5130 on: September 07, 2013, 04:17:10 am »

When a barony becomes a county, what happens to the baron? When a the monarch arrives at a duchy, what happens to the duke?

In the first case, the baron becomes a count. The relationship is basically like that between the expedition leader and the mayor - the mayor is the upgrade of the expedition leader which replaces that position.

In the second case, you will have both, the duke _and_ the monarch. That relationship is like that between mayor and baron - they are two different titles and both can be present in the same fort at the same time (although expedition leader/mayor are obligatory ranks - as long as you have a single sane adult, you'll have a leader/mayor; landed nobles are thoroughly optional).

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: September 07, 2013, 04:32:48 am »

something regarding linked stockpiles?

that falls under #5 but I can't imagine where that would be in order to effect all things that USE the pots & barrels.  near as I can tell nothing has gone into a barrel or pot in about a year

Might have already been asked.  Have you checked your "stocks" page to see if any of your pots are forbidden or set to dump?  Also are you sure you weren't making jars?  jars are for honey products, and will not be used for other foods or drinks.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: September 07, 2013, 03:48:11 pm »

Really though, I wish there was a way to get around the fish going extinct or not even being there in the first place.

I think setting really high population numbers in raws before embarking might help. Though it's a pain to do it for every vermin fish type.

I was thinking about this the other day, wondering how masterwork handles this (and possibly regular, huntable animals "running out", since those have per-biome pop numbers too), since I heard kobold camps in particular are more dependent on fish? Hopefully next version of vanilla will fix both, since the world is in general going to "live" more after genning it, too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: September 07, 2013, 06:18:35 pm »

Hm, I looked at the thoughts through DT and saw this 'Military (unprotected): Was worried not to have adequate protection recently'. It shows for all dwarves which aren't in the 6 dorf squad that I have (in other words, all the civillians) and I haven't seen this thought before. I know it isn't clothes related because I've seen the clothes related ones before.

I suppose they got scared when I had them pasture the 'tamed' invader mounts which turned on them (I was trying to butcher them and had no clue why they no longer showed up in the animals list) and while the crocs did end up killing two haulers, I did have my macedorfs go over to the pasture area to kill the hostile mounts.

Or maybe when I accidentially let a goblin out of the cage (got killed by cage trap and ignored the dwarves) and then I decided to let the other one out just for the heck of it.

Or maybe because a failed mood dwarf (clothier that I didn't want a mood for) went beserk in the bedroom area, although two or three children actually held their own quite well until a macedorf came to the rescue.

OR, it's a subtle hint that I should beef up the military?

Edit: The wiki brings up nothing.

Edit: Oh, it's something the siren script in DF hack uses. nvm then. Source: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118497.msg3751594#msg3751594
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:35:16 pm by smjjames »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: September 07, 2013, 08:05:26 pm »

Yeah. It should be in the game itself and, iirc, has something to do with the number of royal guards or fortress guards. But the thought isn't used, and siren uses it as part of the price of sounding the alarm.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: September 08, 2013, 10:13:45 am »

ARG!, I'm trying to deconstruct scaffolding and they keep making each other fall, two dwarves got killed already, how do I keep them from sending each other plunging down?

One z level above the ground (or floor as it were) just makes bruises, but several z levels up can be deadly.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: September 08, 2013, 10:25:54 am »

The practicality depends very much on the layout of tiles you want deconstructed, but floor can be deconstructed safely by not designating adjacent tiles:
Code: [Select]
first round: +D+D+D+D second:D.D.D.D.
             ++++++++        ++++++++

Dwarfs won't normally deconstruct the tile they're standing on, but if multiple adjacent tiles are designated, it often happens that one of the deconstruction workers stands on a 'to deconstruct' tile while another is chipping away at it, with expected results when the neighbour finishes their job.
The 'non-adjacent' designations make the work take longer and need some adaption to handle different situations, but at least you don't have to hover over your dwarfs' shoulders and un-designate tiles whenever someone's standing on top of a tile while someone else deconstructs it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: September 08, 2013, 10:31:16 am »

I was deconstructing up/down stairs (AKA scaffolding) and yeah I'm forced to stagger the tiles like that.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: September 08, 2013, 10:46:15 am »

I don't know of a really safe way to deconstruct access staircases - eventually you'll have stairs that are only accessible from below, and a dwarf constructing a stair from there will dump the building material on top of themselves.

You can use ramps instead of stairs, or, if you plan a long way ahead, you can build a separate/separable access staircase that can eventually be collapsed by levering away a support.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: September 08, 2013, 10:58:17 am »

something regarding linked stockpiles?

that falls under #5 but I can't imagine where that would be in order to effect all things that USE the pots & barrels.  near as I can tell nothing has gone into a barrel or pot in about a year

Might have already been asked.  Have you checked your "stocks" page to see if any of your pots are forbidden or set to dump?  Also are you sure you weren't making jars?  jars are for honey products, and will not be used for other foods or drinks.

not forbidden, not dump designated, and yes they are pots (I ran into the pots vs jugs issue earlier in my DF career) also I had made a '30-batch' of barrels without getting one of them used.
   I have saved out a copy, but started a new embark.  Maybe if I look at it again later, I'll see something
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: September 08, 2013, 03:34:45 pm »

I have a bunch of giant gray langurs that got themselves trapped in an attempt to raid the fort, all female, are they worth keeping to breed and tame? I REALLY need to get a meat industry going, heh.

Edit: Looked by butchering one and the returns seem decent.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:14:13 pm by smjjames »

Vagabond.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: September 08, 2013, 04:18:42 pm »

Question:
What would be the best location for a newbie to embark, or at least a heavily forested embark with lots of trees, Flux, Iron Ore, and a river?
If I do something incredibly idiotic, slap me.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: September 08, 2013, 04:19:32 pm »

I have a bunch of giant gray langurs that got themselves trapped in an attempt to raid the fort, all female, are they worth keeping to breed and tame? I REALLY need to get a meat industry going, heh.

Edit: Looked by butchering one and the returns seem decent.
they can get impregnated by any visiting wild male that enters your map, so if you get them occasionally as visitors and this wasn't a one-time occurence you can keep them around. They need to be out of the cage for that. If you can stand having them around for a year or two before slaughtering them all? They only take some trainer time and some initial food for training, which is just good practise as well for the trainers.

Question:
What would be the best location for a newbie to embark, or at least a heavily forested embark with lots of trees, Flux, Iron Ore, and a river?

Lots of trees help to get a metal industry going without having to worry about magma, so that might help. A river is good, so your dwarfs don't die of thirst when injured or when you accidentally run out of booze. Untill you want to start an actual melee militia, copper and silver are good enough for trap weapons, so iron is not a complete requirement, but it's always nice. Flux is for steel which is absolutely not required to run a successful fortress. What I'd advice as 'required' is enough soil, deep enough, for farming, but no aquifer. A river or stream or anything would be nice. Pretty much anything else is optional. Any copper is enough for traps, bolts and crossbows, which is all you need for simple but efficient defences.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:39:58 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: September 08, 2013, 04:24:39 pm »

I already have two former migrants with high animal training skill, so I used those. I kept two of the langurs and butchered the other since my fort is a bit low on food rations (not starvingly low, but I do need a resupply). Even made a pen area for them.

I don't know if it's a one time occurance since that's just the only time they tried raiding the fort and I don't really pay attention to the comings and goings of wildlife.

Edit: AAAND, just now a troop of regular gray langurs decided to assault the fort, lol.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:28:22 pm by smjjames »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: September 08, 2013, 04:25:22 pm »

Given their size, they should provide a lot of meat. They also live respectably long lives, about 30 to 40 years.

The downside is that they will take 3 years to mature into adults. Though they should reach their adult size at year 2.

Question:

A warm biome would be good, so that you won't have any accidents caused by any frozen pools thawing out from under your dwarves. Rivers are good too, as that lowers the chance of dehydration since there will always be a source of fresh water. Avoid aquifer regions, unless you have experience in dealing with them. Though aquifers can be disabled in the init file.
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 422