Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879364 times)

Taverius

• Bay Watcher
  • Curly says go!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5100 on: September 01, 2013, 08:42:16 pm »

So a human caravan came and and got ambushed by gobbos.

So the wagons get annihilated, but all the goblins either die or leave the map, so I go and mass-reclaim all the stuff left over.

Smaaaalll problem, three traders with camels are left nearby, not moving, and the damn camels keep spooking the dorfs.

So I went and mass-forbid all the stuff again ... but they still try to move the stuff to the fort. There's like, 40 dorfs doing the spook dance on the road over the brook.

Help!?
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: September 01, 2013, 10:14:26 pm »

Worst case scenario is you can just get your soldiers to kill the camels.  There probably won't be any negative consequences if the rest of the carvan was killed already.

What I don't understand is why the civilians would be afraid of the camels.  They're human caravan camels?  I don't know how they could be considered hostile to your dwarves if that's the case, unless they went insane, which only happens if they've been trapped too long in your fort as far as I know.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Taverius

• Bay Watcher
  • Curly says go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: September 01, 2013, 10:19:11 pm »

Not sure why the camel was hostile. One of my hunterdorfs was even shooting at it. The traders were not hostile, so huh.

It was all hurt from the fight, which is the reason why it took 2 months for the traders to get off the map. I just set the main burrow alert till that happened and then reclaimed all the goodies :)
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: September 02, 2013, 12:48:35 am »

I made a 'rookie' mistake and built my butcher in a secure courtyard so all of the hoof, hair, bone, skull is cluttering the workshop because it won't be carried to refuse pile.  Rather than toggle 'indoor only' to 'include exterior' (and how do I do that?), I was planning to just build a roof over the butcher.  Is that going to work?  I know I can build beds once I roof something over, but I dunno if the routine to collect refuse 'indoors' will see that as a change.

No, once an area is toggled as outdoors by exposing it to the sun, it's always outdoors.  This can be really handy for folks who like a whole lot of crop diversity - lets you build aboveground crop farms, then seal them in.

Move the butcher shop underground, and turn on refuse handling outdoor long enough that your dwarves go and collect the stuff from the old butcher shop.  You can control where the dwarves are allowed to go aboveground by setting a temporary burrow between the old butcher shop and the refuse stockpiles and assigning your dwarves to it.  When the area is cleaned, remove the burrow, and turn outdoor refuse gathering off.

If you are in a benevolent setting and don't care if your dwarves wander everywhere outdoors, don't bother with the burrow.  You might pick up some useful items from outdoors that you didn't even realize were there.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: September 02, 2013, 03:59:42 am »

Not sure why the camel was hostile. One of my hunterdorfs was even shooting at it. The traders were not hostile, so huh.

It was all hurt from the fight, which is the reason why it took 2 months for the traders to get off the map. I just set the main burrow alert till that happened and then reclaimed all the goodies :)

The camels were hostile because getting attacked made them mad and they went berserk (can happen to all traders/pack animals and possibly diplomats). It's a pretty strange case, because led pack animals don't move independently, they're always dragged around by their handler, and even berserkness doesn't break that behaviour. You can have 'melancholic' or 'stark raving mad' merchants standing near the map border, holding the reins of a berserk camel. The camel won't attack anyone because it's still being held, but it will spook your civilians.

For extra crazy points, merchants who went insane due to enemy action will still count as a caravan present on your map - they won't path to the depot, let alone offer a trade, but you'll get the 'traders about to leave' and 'traders have embarked' messages, and once time for leaving has come, insane traders of this type will often successfully leave the map.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: September 02, 2013, 05:11:08 am »

Can miasma escape through fortifications, like a vent?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: September 02, 2013, 06:32:08 am »

yes
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: September 02, 2013, 01:08:36 pm »

Thanks! Also, how do I safely throw goblins in a pit without people getting scared and letting him go?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: September 02, 2013, 01:40:57 pm »

Thanks! Also, how do I safely throw goblins in a pit without people getting scared and letting him go?

Put a hatch over the hole, that way they won't get spooked by anything already down in the pit. Just make sure that there is no way for anything to reach your hatch again so it can't come crawling back out.

sandi Mexicola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: September 02, 2013, 08:27:20 pm »

or dig a deeper pit.  i usually dig 10 z-levels

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: September 03, 2013, 10:55:27 am »

I don't think that will work.
You can set orders to allow refuse hauling outdoors by pressing [o]rders->[r]efuse->[o]utdoors

Thanks

I made a 'rookie' mistake and built my butcher in a secure courtyard so all of the hoof, hair, bone, skull is cluttering the workshop because it won't be carried to refuse pile.  Rather than toggle 'indoor only' to 'include exterior' (and how do I do that?), I was planning to just build a roof over the butcher.  Is that going to work?  I know I can build beds once I roof something over, but I dunno if the routine to collect refuse 'indoors' will see that as a change.

No, flooring it over doesn't work at all. The refuse option doesn't actually check whether a piece of refuse is 'inside' or 'outside', but rather whether it's 'aboveground' or 'subterranean'.
To get rid of the remains cluttering up your butcher's shop, the most profitable way is to build a craftsdwarf's workshop nearby and put 'make totem' and some of the crafting jobs on repeat, 'make xxx craft' if you actually want to get some purchase power, 'decorate with xxx' if you just want to get rid of the stuff. Bones are also good for practice and hunting crossbow bolts. With such jobs on repeat, it shouldn't really be possible to get serious clutter problems in the butchery.

Cluttered butcheries aren't much of a problem anyway, because slaughter jobs are instantaneous and ignore clutter.
Thanks good to know on clutter not delaying a slaughter
I had a craft dwarf right next to it and couldn't keep up with just the skulls.  I'm getting the sense that 'Dump' doesn't work on outdoor items either.  I don't care how far down dump is on priority, with 80 idlers at any given time they should get to it.

new issues:
1)I'm at the point where I'm going to cage some yaks and sell them.  But I don't see them in trade screen. 
2) I messed up and pulled my broker off of repeat brewing for a trade session and did not replace him.  I hit zero on drinks.  I put a brewer in both stills on repeat and for good measure I added 2 30 brew batches to the managers job list.  I keep getting the no food storage container.  A) I have plenty and am making more B) I removed the barrel reservations on my big stockpiles, just in case C) I have such a glut of plants: is it possible the barrels are 'reserved' in some other way?  I found withered plants and rotten prepared meals at the refuse pile and finally D) it has been a little while since I noticed the zero drink and applied my attempted fixes and checks yet I cannot find anyone with a bad thought regarding drinks yet
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: September 03, 2013, 12:37:03 pm »

I'm getting the sense that 'Dump' doesn't work on outdoor items either.

Yep, 'dump item' uses the 'refuse hauling' labour and observes the 'collect refuse from inside/outside' setting.

new issues:
1)I'm at the point where I'm going to cage some yaks and sell them.  But I don't see them in trade screen. 

You have to build the cage to load your yaks inside, _then_ deconstruct the cage so it becomes a loose, haulable item again. If you did this, 'yak cage (*material*)' should show up under the 'cages' register in your depot item listing.

Slaughtering animals and turning them into products generates more profit, but i find selling live animals a legitimate way to get rid of extras when you're drowning in animal products already.

[brewing] I keep getting the no food storage container.  A) I have plenty and am making more

First of all, make sure there aren't messed-up stockpile links to the still - if a food stockpile with plants 'gives' to the still, you _also_ need a furniture stockpile with barrels/pots to 'give' to it, or all jobs will fail for lack of accessible barrels.

Dwarfs try to store all food in barrels, so with a large farming concern, having all barrels blocked can easily happen. Reducing the barrel count for stockpiles can alleviate the situation if you also offer large no-barrel stockpiles (so they can actually take the stuff out of the barrels), but if the problem really is a lack of free barrels, the only cure is making more containers, preferably large stone pots (made by stonecrafters at the craftsdwarf's workshop, from rock).

And whenever a caravan swings around, you can buy drinks and empty barrels from them. That can help quite a bit with getting the drinks situation righted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: September 03, 2013, 02:19:16 pm »

I'm getting the sense that 'Dump' doesn't work on outdoor items either.

Yep, 'dump item' uses the 'refuse hauling' labour and observes the 'collect refuse from inside/outside' setting.

new issues:

You have to build the cage to load your yaks inside, _then_ deconstruct the cage so it becomes a loose, haulable item again. If you did this, 'yak cage (*material*)' should show up under the 'cages' register in your depot item listing.

Slaughtering animals and turning them into products generates more profit, but i find selling live animals a legitimate way to get rid of extras when you're drowning in animal products already.

[brewing] I keep getting the no food storage container.  A) I have plenty and am making more

First of all, make sure there aren't messed-up stockpile links to the still - if a food stockpile with plants 'gives' to the still, you _also_ need a furniture stockpile with barrels/pots to 'give' to it, or all jobs will fail for lack of accessible barrels.

Dwarfs try to store all food in barrels, so with a large farming concern, having all barrels blocked can easily happen. Reducing the barrel count for stockpiles can alleviate the situation if you also offer large no-barrel stockpiles (so they can actually take the stuff out of the barrels), but if the problem really is a lack of free barrels, the only cure is making more containers, preferably large stone pots (made by stonecrafters at the craftsdwarf's workshop, from rock).

And whenever a caravan swings around, you can buy drinks and empty barrels from them. That can help quite a bit with getting the drinks situation righted.

I completed 20 rock pots and got not a single brew done ... and there were barrels and pots sitting around empty prior I don't have give to's and take from's set up

I had a leaving caravan and an arriving caravan block each other on the map and before I could cut the trees to allow them to get past each other the traders left the depot.  So the wagons arrived and no trading was possible I think the last wagon got stuck trying to get into the depot as the wagons were trying to leave again.  Net result was I ended up with all the goods from the wagons including several caged animals which I would just as soon sell given my animal byproducts problems.   They do not show on my trade screen either so I was going to try releasing them and re-cage.  Can I pit them with a ramp exit rather than hooking each to a lever?  I don't mind for one but 6 cages takes a while.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: September 03, 2013, 02:55:20 pm »

reserved barrels is pretty much exactly for the brewing job. Removing reserved barrels means that the previously reserved for jobs barrels are free to be used for storage
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: September 04, 2013, 04:37:48 am »

I appointed my militia commander, as a champion, thinking she will teach everyone about her legendary combat skills, but she doesn't even train her own squad, she just keeps doing individual combat drills.

Should I appoint some clueless bloke instead, so that she at least trains her own squad, or will she finally decide on her own, it's training time?
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 422