Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879384 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5055 on: August 26, 2013, 03:50:40 pm »

Seems to me like a perfectly finely situated bridge, but my dwarfs refuse to build it. No cancellations, building isn't suspended, they just won't.
Where were the building materials coming from? I note that are are a couple of stones nearby the same colour as the bridge designation, and they're on the side of the water the dwarves can't reach until the bridge is built.

I think that might be the case because I was building a quick up stairs and I thought it was using the rock next to it, but it was trying to use the rock above it, which is actually inaccessable.

Random question, do vampire dwarves get moods?

Also, do dwarves wear animalman leather clothes (clothes made from, not worn by animalmen)? Because I have a whole lot in my finished goods storage (from goblins most likely) which nobody seemed to want although I have seen a few animalmen leather items that were worn out.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:46:51 pm by smjjames »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: August 27, 2013, 01:05:12 am »

*snip long quote*

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but any place with a ceiling does nothing to prevent cave adaptation, even if it has been subjected to the cruel surface light at some point and is now considered 'outside'

The wiki says otherwise http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cave_Adaptation .

the wiki sometimes contains what people want to be true or everyone believes to be true instead of what is true. The increased damage war dogs do for example. However, since the discussion in which this came up came up about 2 years ago, I can't make any definite statements
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: August 27, 2013, 07:12:01 am »

I'd like my dwarves to wear armor, so that I don't have to make clothes.
Let's say I have enough gear (1 breastplate, 1 pair of gauntlets, 1 pair of high boots, 1 helm, 1 greaves, 1 shield, 1 weapon per person), 20 dwarves, 10 children. Among these dwarves are 5 miners and 5 woodcutters.
How should I go about it? Baby steps please, since apparently everytime I try this my dwarves prefer to go around naked.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: August 27, 2013, 07:24:04 am »

Either get rid of the miners, wood cutters (disable those labors) and children (atom smash?) or make clothes for them.

For the rest of them, make a uniform that contains all the gear you want then make squads that use that uniform and assign all your dwarfs to them.

Mining, wood cutting and hunting have their own invisible uniform that interferes with military uniforms. Children can't be placed into squads.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: August 27, 2013, 08:21:01 am »

So this would explain that... I thought it would only be trouble for the weapons.
Uniform should be "replace clothing" and schedule should be "inactive - uniformed" I assume?
Thanks, I'll try that.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:23:02 am by Fluoman »
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: August 27, 2013, 09:42:33 am »

That should be more than plenty enough farm area.  How many farmers do you have, and what are their skill levels?  High skill with your farmers can dramatically improve yields compared to low skill farmers.

I have 4 with 'planter' designation ... I set their labor to only fields and food hauling their skills are in the middle range as I understand the skill titles (I have to go to workshop profile settings and scroll thru just to remind myself if "competent" is better than "skilled" LOL)

That should be enough farm space for that population then.  You aren't using any mods, are you?

No.  DFHack runs to fix the growth bug but I don't mess with anything otherwise.  If it SHOULD be enough, I'll look at it more in depth.

I'll try things like assigning the planters to beds closer to farming and look into whether I have a wither problem.  I play at home but only have internet access at work so I have to ask questions by day and look at it when I get home.

My plant total had floated up a bit when I logged into my fortress last night.  A few minutes later I was getting the give food cancellations.  I looked at the season and it was pig tail season for one of my 15 tile farms.  So maybe 45 tiles of farming is enough but 30 (during pig tail season which is brew-able but not edible) must not be enough.  And clearly not building up enough surplus.  And now that I say this I wonder if I didn't set TWO of the 3x5 plots to run pigtails in fall.  In any case, I think I will build one more plot and turn off food hauling for the planters ... there are plenty of idle dwarfs to haul food and I wonder if the planters aren't doing long trips on some food hauling.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: August 27, 2013, 10:17:07 am »

Random question, do vampire dwarves get moods? I don't think the wiki mentioned about it.

Also, do dwarves wear animalman leather clothes (clothes made from, not worn by animalmen)? Because I have a whole lot in my finished goods storage (from goblins most likely) which nobody seemed to want although I have seen a few animalmen leather items that were worn out.

Guys, what about my two questions from a bit earlier? I'm especially curious about the wearing animalman leather clothing because I had gotten a good deal of it stockpiled up, but it seemed like nobody wanted them. However, I'm not so sure because I have seen a few animalman leather items that got worn out. Since they are all standard quality, the dwarves might have been going for the better quality items.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: August 27, 2013, 10:39:37 am »

Dwarves generally choose the most valuable item to wear. Regular leather has a value of 10 (modifier of x1) while pig tail fiber cloth has a value of 20 (x2). They'll usually choose to wear cloth items even over better quality leather items.

no clue on vampire moods. Don't see why not though.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: August 27, 2013, 11:38:29 am »

Last nights questions:
1) I built a cage pitting room as described in the wiki.  It worked fine for the giant caught in a cage, but (as predicted by the wiki) the ravens and kea were able to escape.  Yet assigning the flyers to one cage works fine.  So I can carry a flyer into the next room to a new cage, but I can't stuff him down a hatch.  Is there another solution or do I trade for a caged cougar and stuff the flyers in there?

2) trade screen: sometimes "crafts" is in the list as a category and other times not, but if I go down the list in the "ALL" category, I find items that are inaccessible using other categories (statues is the item I am thinking of).  So to add a question: What's up with that?
2a) do I need to separate stockpiles so that I don't have to go thru every bin of finished goods to keep from trading away my quivers?  or mandate exclusions?

3) I set up a jeweler workshop to cut limonite on repeat and forgot it.  After a couple years it occurred to me that I hadn't seen any at the trade screen and the stone stockpile looked the same. It was still on repeat.  What shall I check?  or just try a de/reconstruct?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: August 27, 2013, 12:00:23 pm »

2. You'd have to ask Toady One that, and yes they don't always appear in the categories that they should. Check if you have cull mandates on or ignore mandates as that will hide them, though it will also hide the bins that the mandated items are in. DFhack in the LNP adds a search function which helps.

3. Hm, I intially thought it was because it was set as an economic stone, but I tried to cut tetrahedrite and the job went through. Maybe you have the workshop profile set to certain dwarves? I don't know why they didn't go through with the job.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: August 27, 2013, 01:49:08 pm »

stockpile set to give to- or workshop to take from?

prepared meals also don't have their own category. It's just the way it is currently. So yes, you'll have to pay attention during trading

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: August 27, 2013, 02:39:36 pm »

Prepared meals don't have their own category? or they do not fall into a category?  I know I have seen the crafts category in the past,  But I cannot say which race was at the trade depot.  So I don't know if it is race specific or if it doesn't show if you don't have any.

If I can't trade whole bins at a time, then I constantly have merchants at the trade depot and I can't go thru my stock list and claim forbidden items laying around in case it is being worn by the caravan guard.  oopsie

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: August 27, 2013, 03:37:35 pm »

Can I cook meals from multiple items of the same kind?

Will dwarfs consider a cooked meal to be a different kind of food from its base components?

My dwarfs are kinda trapped in their fortress and the only consumable plant available is plump helmet (no water and thus no plants in the caverns, I already checked).  I'm wondering if I can alleviate the same old food thoughts by cooking up the raw plump helmets into biscuits or something.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: August 27, 2013, 04:12:37 pm »

Prepared meals don't have their own category? or they do not fall into a category?

Both :P
Prepared meals will only directly be found in the 'all' category, when searching for 'roast', 'biscuit' or 'stew'; and that will only catch those outside of containers.
If your prepared meals are in barrels or pots, you can find them in the 'barrel' and 'tool' categories. Just look at those categories, ask for 'prepared' (because they're all 'prepared food barrel/pot') or 'sort by value' - they'll be at the top of the list normally.

The trade interface is somewhat broken in that there are some items that have no purpose but export which can't be properly selected in the 'move to depot' interface. Most annoying are goblets and totems for me. They'll be stuffed into finished goods bins but don't have a sub-category where they can be found (unlike crafts, and instruments and the like).

I know I have seen the crafts category in the past,  But I cannot say which race was at the trade depot.  So I don't know if it is race specific or if it doesn't show if you don't have any.

You only get the categories displayed if you have any items that actually fit them. So if there wasn't a 'craft' item in the list, you either had no crafts (the sort of junk created when ordering, say, 'rock crafts' - rings, bracelets, figurines etc.) or the bins containing them were all in transit; or they were all hidden because of export bans.

I generally separate my finished goods piles - one is for export junk - crafts, goblets, totems; another for clothes. All other finished goods normally stay off the stockpiles - jugs, nest boxes, hives and ropes need to be available for building/constructing/pressing all the time, having them crammed into bins and carted all over the fort is massively counterproductive. And quivers and waterskins aren't much use in bins, either.

Quote from: weenog
Can I cook meals from multiple items of the same kind?

Will dwarfs consider a cooked meal to be a different kind of food from its base components?

Making meals out of multiples is entirely possible (yummy *dog tallow roasts* containing dog tallow, dog tallow, dog tallow and dog tallow are common); can't help you on the second question, i've never been in the situation to find out.

You could allow dwarven wine for cooking and hope plump helmet + wine biscuits count for variety. You could also cook some of the excess plump helmet spawn, but you'd have to be careful not to accidentally cook yourself out of seeds; mixing seeds and booze in cooking doesn't seem to work properly, dwarfs prioritise seeds when cooking.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:18:03 pm by Larix »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: August 27, 2013, 04:46:01 pm »

How do I get rid of escaped pet vermin? I have this tame bat which escaped from an elven caravan sometime (might have been the first one to escape) and has hung around on the animal list ever since. There have been other pet vermin that escaped from the elven caravans, but they don't stick around.

No idea if pet vermin cause lag, or maybe that's just when you assign them an owner.
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 422