Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879407 times)

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5040 on: August 26, 2013, 08:56:50 am »

Seems to me like a perfectly finely situated bridge, but my dwarfs refuse to build it. No cancellations, building isn't suspended, they just won't.

Without my sloppy drawing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:11:08 am by moondowner »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: August 26, 2013, 09:04:38 am »

Do you have any dwarves with the architecture labor enabled?

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: August 26, 2013, 09:09:10 am »

Of course. I've built some other bridges since I ordered this one, not to mention workshops and stuff.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: August 26, 2013, 09:16:21 am »

Was just checking. Maybe some kind of accessibility issue? Try canceling the structure and trying again?

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: August 26, 2013, 09:49:12 am »

Was just checking. Maybe some kind of accessibility issue? Try canceling the structure and trying again?
Tried several times. Also tried building constructed floor over this 1-tile-wide open space, with the same lack of success. Constructing floor on adjacent squares worked fine. Finally, I've given up and mined two tiles to the left of the bridge.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: August 26, 2013, 10:07:49 am »

I want to build a glass ceiling to prevent female dwarves from becoming nobility cave adaptation and possibly to generate happy thoughts. I have a few newbie questions.

1. Can you build glass floors/ceilings? If so, how? The glass section of the wiki doesn't spell out what specific items can be made out of glass.
2. Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, will a glass roof help stave off cave adaptation for dwarves who walk under it? Will it work for multiple Z levels if I make more glass floors at the same X/Y areas across many Z levels?
3. Will dwarves get happy thoughts from glass floors? Will this also trigger happy thoughts from dwarves who specifically like glass?
4. Can building destroyers smash their way through glass floors?
5. Do different colors of sand make different colors of glass (assuming you don't add pearlash to make it clear)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: August 26, 2013, 10:12:10 am »

Tried several times. Also tried building constructed floor over this 1-tile-wide open space, with the same lack of success. Constructing floor on adjacent squares worked fine. Finally, I've given up and mined two tiles to the left of the bridge.

Strange, could be some kind of pathing issue.

I want to build a glass ceiling to prevent female dwarves from becoming nobility cave adaptation and possibly to generate happy thoughts. I have a few newbie questions.

1. Can you build glass floors/ceilings? If so, how? The glass section of the wiki doesn't spell out what specific items can be made out of glass.
2. Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, will a glass roof help stave off cave adaptation for dwarves who walk under it? Will it work for multiple Z levels if I make more glass floors at the same X/Y areas across many Z levels?
3. Will dwarves get happy thoughts from glass floors? Will this also trigger happy thoughts from dwarves who specifically like glass?
5. Do different colors of sand make different colors of glass (assuming you don't add pearlash to make it clear)

1. Yes, with glass blocks.

2. Yes, once a tile is exposed to outside and light, it stays lit even if you roof it over later.

3. 'C'onstructed floors and walls don't generate thoughts.

4. No.

5. Nope.

The floor itself won't generate happy thoughts, but if you put stuff like statues in the area you can get happy thoughts from being there, however, having the floor as a roof WILL fight cave adaption as long as the area is marked as being lit when you loo'k' at the tile.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:17:41 am by smjjames »

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: August 26, 2013, 11:22:42 am »

I am at 150+ dwarfs and I have usually 100+ idlers ... I know I need to add industries but my pressing problem at the moment is food ... I have 15 tiles of strawberries, 15 tiles of Plump helmets at 4 seasons each and 15 tiles with 2 seasons each of plump helmet and pigtail .... they look to be planted ... some goes to booze ... but I have tons of seeds and no plants .... is it possible that I need more farm plots?  Egg 'industry will be ready after the next hatching, no fishing, meat is a little limited right now
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: August 26, 2013, 11:50:50 am »

That should be more than plenty enough farm area.  How many farmers do you have, and what are their skill levels?  High skill with your farmers can dramatically improve yields compared to low skill farmers.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: August 26, 2013, 12:02:59 pm »

That should be more than plenty enough farm area.  How many farmers do you have, and what are their skill levels?  High skill with your farmers can dramatically improve yields compared to low skill farmers.

I have 4 with 'planter' designation ... I set their labor to only fields and food hauling their skills are in the middle range as I understand the skill titles (I have to go to workshop profile settings and scroll thru just to remind myself if "competent" is better than "skilled" LOL)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: August 26, 2013, 12:07:24 pm »

Strange, could be some kind of pathing issue.

1. Yes, with glass blocks.

2. Yes, once a tile is exposed to outside and light, it stays lit even if you roof it over later.

3. 'C'onstructed floors and walls don't generate thoughts.

4. No.

5. Nope.

The floor itself won't generate happy thoughts, but if you put stuff like statues in the area you can get happy thoughts from being there, however, having the floor as a roof WILL fight cave adaption as long as the area is marked as being lit when you loo'k' at the tile.

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but any place with a ceiling does nothing to prevent cave adaptation, even if it has been subjected to the cruel surface light at some point and is now considered 'outside'
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: August 26, 2013, 02:08:17 pm »

I have 4 with 'planter' designation ... I set their labor to only fields and food hauling their skills are in the middle range as I understand the skill titles (I have to go to workshop profile settings and scroll thru just to remind myself if "competent" is better than "skilled" LOL)

That should be enough farm space for that population then.  You aren't using any mods, are you?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: August 26, 2013, 02:43:37 pm »

*snip long quote*

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but any place with a ceiling does nothing to prevent cave adaptation, even if it has been subjected to the cruel surface light at some point and is now considered 'outside'

The wiki says otherwise http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cave_Adaptation .

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: August 26, 2013, 02:54:09 pm »

That should be enough farm space for that population then.  You aren't using any mods, are you?

No.  DFHack runs to fix the growth bug but I don't mess with anything otherwise.  If it SHOULD be enough, I'll look at it more in depth.

I'll try things like assigning the planters to beds closer to farming and look into whether I have a wither problem.  I play at home but only have internet access at work so I have to ask questions by day and look at it when I get home.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: August 26, 2013, 03:26:45 pm »

Seems to me like a perfectly finely situated bridge, but my dwarfs refuse to build it. No cancellations, building isn't suspended, they just won't.
Where were the building materials coming from? I note that are are a couple of stones nearby the same colour as the bridge designation, and they're on the side of the water the dwarves can't reach until the bridge is built.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 422