Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879422 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4995 on: August 22, 2013, 08:46:57 am »

Oh, I didn't know werebeasts entered the map sneaking, and I guess the disappearance before reaching the map edge was the human going into sneak mode while getting out?

Any idea why I'm getting these equipment mismatch message spam from the marksdwarves which are inactive?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:32:46 am by smjjames »

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: August 22, 2013, 09:37:12 am »

I embarked with a dwarf with the crossbow, ambusher and armor user skills.
I also had a crossbow, quiver, bolts and a full set of leather armor.

He picked up the crossbow, quiver and bolts and went hunting...but he didn't put on the armor. I want him to wear the armor as he hunts in case he encounters some tougher prey or hostile humanoids while in the field...and to build his armor user skill to later train military recruits. Nobody else claimed the armor before him, it was just left on the wagon.

How do I have him don his armor while still having him act as a hunter (rather than a military marksdwarf, since I want him to automatically seek prey and drag the bodies back to a butcher shop. )

Also, regarding the flask and backpack...how do those work in terms of letting him take food/drink with him into the field so he doesn't have to come all the way back when he gets hungry of thirsty.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: August 22, 2013, 10:01:03 am »

I embarked with a dwarf with the crossbow, ambusher and armor user skills.
I also had a crossbow, quiver, bolts and a full set of leather armor.

He picked up the crossbow, quiver and bolts and went hunting...but he didn't put on the armor. I want him to wear the armor as he hunts in case he encounters some tougher prey or hostile humanoids while in the field...and to build his armor user skill to later train military recruits.

Unfortunately you can't: hunter, miner, woodcutter professions have an invisible 'uniform' that interferes with any weapon/armor you would equip them with. Nobody found a solution to this bug yet, so we are stuck with their default choice of armor. You can control their choice of weapon by forbidding all the others that you don't want them to equip.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: August 22, 2013, 10:10:19 am »

Seriously, any idea why the marksdwarves on inactive duty keep doing the equipment mismatch thing? After the wereskunk attack, during which I had stationed them outside the fort, they were REALLY spamming the error when I made them inactive.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: August 22, 2013, 10:34:55 am »

they're confused about picking bolts?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: August 22, 2013, 11:24:06 am »

Seriously, any idea why the marksdwarves on inactive duty keep doing the equipment mismatch thing? After the wereskunk attack, during which I had stationed them outside the fort, they were REALLY spamming the error when I made them inactive.

It's pretty normal, it seem to be something to do with bolt assignment. It is a bit frustrating to see, though, if actually harmless outside of slowing them down a bit.

I've seen it when I mass manfacture too much higher quality armor with dwarves not having enough of good armors, too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: August 22, 2013, 04:06:42 pm »

Hm, just to clarify something for sure, when a bridge is in the lowered (or extended position), a building destroyer 2 tagged creature can destroy it, right? I was thinking of using bridges for the roof of this huge open fort thing that I made TOO open to cut down on material usage, though I can always make more green glass blocks. However, while I have yet to have a flying building destroyer2 creature, I'm having second thoughts about doing it this way.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: August 22, 2013, 04:27:37 pm »

Hm, just to clarify something for sure, when a bridge is in the lowered (or extended position), a building destroyer 2 tagged creature can destroy it, right? I was thinking of using bridges for the roof of this huge open fort thing that I made TOO open to cut down on material usage, though I can always make more green glass blocks. However, while I have yet to have a flying building destroyer2 creature, I'm having second thoughts about doing it this way.

Haven't had any destroy mine, at least no titans, trolls or minotaurs had, and I uses too much bridges for the same reason :D

Do keep in mind it'll stop murky pools from being rained on, if you have any that you cares about, when over it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: August 22, 2013, 05:42:43 pm »

I'm in a desert, and it hasn't rained since I embarked. The reason I'm asking is that I thought megabeasts and semi-megas destroyed bridges, or is that just when you attempt to atomsmash them or raise the bridge while on it?

Also, related question, if a megabeast or semi-mega such as a FB is on a retracting bridge, will the bridge still retract?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: August 22, 2013, 09:46:38 pm »

I'm in a desert, and it hasn't rained since I embarked. The reason I'm asking is that I thought megabeasts and semi-megas destroyed bridges, or is that just when you attempt to atomsmash them or raise the bridge while on it?

Also, related question, if a megabeast or semi-mega such as a FB is on a retracting bridge, will the bridge still retract?
I'm fairly certain that building destroyers won't attack a bridge, but FBs made of fire can destroy them by proximity if the material the bridge is made of has a low enough melting point.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: August 23, 2013, 03:05:23 am »

Anything too big will break the bridge if you tries to atmosmash. Retracting and lifting bridge with too heavy creature on it won't do anything.. I think elephant can do it, it's pretty much a function of size.

And above mentioned, extreme temperature can do it if it's through middle of bridge, like from dragonfire, which can hurt bluemetal. Magma can do it if it's not magma-safe anywhere inside, mechanism included.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Bridge#Notes

ED: corrected creature on bridge and temperature. Thanks for help from below.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 04:03:42 am by AutomataKittay »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: August 23, 2013, 03:56:17 am »

bridges don't deconstruct when something big is standing on it and you pull the lever, it simply doesn't work. That goes for retracting bridges too. Only when you lower the bridge on it does the bridge deconstruct
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: August 23, 2013, 09:49:51 am »

So much for my using a bridge to drop a FB into a pit. However, it doesn't have to be ON the bridge for the drop pit to work.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: August 23, 2013, 10:21:01 am »

I built an exterior wall to make a safe garden for my wild strawberries ... but I didn't check ahead of time on the farm-ability of the tiles and too many were not ... so rather than deconstruct the wall or channel over from the brook ...(or change my plan for strawberries) I went all 'dwarfish' on it ... if I understand the term correctly ... built a floor so my pump could reach past the slope of the pond ... build a surround to contain one tile of water ran a wall from that one tile to the wall of my strawberry garden ... another pump on top of the wall ... walls on either side of the top of the wall .... voila ... aqueduct ... windmill on top of second pump to run it ... manual start/stop for the bottom one so I don't  end up with a swimming pool instead ....

I was a little concerned about leakage ... which I didn't get so my question:

did it NOT leak because water doesn't flow thru Z change diagonals?  or because it was construction?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: August 23, 2013, 11:03:56 am »

did it NOT leak because water doesn't flow thru Z change diagonals?  or because it was construction?

I can't really picture what you've done, so I'll try to guess.

First, the material doesn't matter -- a wall is a wall as far as water is concerned.

Second, if by a "Z change diagonal" you mean something like this (side view):

Code: [Select]
  |~~~~     Wall, water
___#####    Floor, Wall
########    Wall

Where there is a solid wall beneath the water, and another solid wall next to it on the same Z-level, then the answer is "No, water won't go down *and* sideways simultaneously."
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 422