Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879487 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4920 on: August 03, 2013, 12:14:00 pm »

1) does water pick up 'force' as it goes down 'Z'?
2) can I reduce the mud accumulation in my aqueduct with faster flow?
3) Windmill produces power; automated waterwheel produces power (and uses a portion to self perpetuate) ... what do I need power for if I can't run a blast furnace with it?

If I read the wiki correctly I can do one gear and an 5 tiles of axle before my windmill will not power the screw pump or is windmill power variable?  the one I built produces 20

1 and 2, no, water don't have 'force' as in pressure, it can flow but it's not the same. And mud happens anywhere water even touches.

3 to run pump stack, move mine cart automatically, to build computing system at a mad whim. Oh, there're also millstone, but quern's more than good enough for most purpose.

EDIT: Wind power is variable between embark, IIRC, I've not bothered to use windmills outside of occasional experiments. I've seen it provide 0, 20 and 40 power. Your calculation's accurate, though

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: August 03, 2013, 01:08:53 pm »

3) Windmill produces power; automated waterwheel produces power (and uses a portion to self perpetuate) ... what do I need power for if I can't run a blast furnace with it?

If I read the wiki correctly I can do one gear and an 5 tiles of axle before my windmill will not power the screw pump or is windmill power variable?  the one I built produces 20

1 and 2, no, water don't have 'force' as in pressure, it can flow but it's not the same. And mud happens anywhere water even touches.

3 to run pump stack, move mine cart automatically, to build computing system at a mad whim. Oh, there're also millstone, but quern's more than good enough for most purpose.

EDIT: Wind power is variable between embark, IIRC, I've not bothered to use windmills outside of occasional experiments. I've seen it provide 0, 20 and 40 power. Your calculation's accurate, though
the computing system would be a bad idea ... last thing you need is all your dwarfs sitting around playing computer games ... developing Legendary chat room skills ...
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: August 03, 2013, 01:36:54 pm »

the computing system would be a bad idea ... last thing you need is all your dwarfs sitting around playing computer games ... developing Legendary chat room skills ...

Computer is more for controlling automated systems, or for turning your fortress into a working digital calculator to show off.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: August 05, 2013, 01:33:17 am »

Is it possible to mine from below, without ever opening a path to the level being mined?  I know this volcano breach method allows for mining from below, but it requires setting up from the level to be mined on for the breach.

What I'm hoping to accomplish here is accumulating rain water by expanding some murky pools, without opening up the sealed fortress to the surface level (there are about 100 zombies and husks out there right now).
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: August 05, 2013, 01:46:24 am »

Is it possible to mine from below, without ever opening a path to the level being mined?  I know this volcano breach method allows for mining from below, but it requires setting up from the level to be mined on for the breach.

What I'm hoping to accomplish here is accumulating rain water by expanding some murky pools, without opening up the sealed fortress to the surface level (there are about 100 zombies and husks out there right now).

Only method that I know of that allows inaccessible mining from below for water supply is to cave in something from above. And that doesn't seem to stop swimming creatures anyway, they don't need ramps. Only safe method I know of is to mine and use floor grate on the internal side to pump water out through and to use machinery to power the pump.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: August 05, 2013, 11:21:53 am »

maybe I don't understand the question ... stairs up then mine the tile above

edit
OIC ... once I reread your purpose I understood
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:16:57 pm by WhimsyWink »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: August 06, 2013, 10:14:38 am »

In the two embarks and fort starts that I did, there were one or two barrels that stayed outside even though I had made a generic everything stockpile to bring everything in and I had to jump through a hoop or two to get the dwarves to bring those in.

Any idea why this happens (I know it isn't storage space issues) and how do I get them to move everything, quantum dump pile? Which I guess would actually be more effective.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: August 06, 2013, 10:21:19 am »

In the two embarks and fort starts that I did, there were one or two barrels that stayed outside even though I had made a generic everything stockpile to bring everything in and I had to jump through a hoop or two to get the dwarves to bring those in.

Any idea why this happens (I know it isn't storage space issues) and how do I get them to move everything, quantum dump pile? Which I guess would actually be more effective.

What were in those barrels? If nothing else, letting dwarves dump from outside ( o-r something there ) and dumping them inside should work ( use k to dump just the barrel, if it have content, otherwise the innard'll be dumped too ). If it's food and drinks, it might be dwarves are slow in getting things moved in.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: August 06, 2013, 10:27:35 am »

What were in those barrels? If nothing else, letting dwarves dump from outside ( o-r something there ) and dumping them inside should work ( use k to dump just the barrel, if it have content, otherwise the innard'll be dumped too ). If it's food and drinks, it might be dwarves are slow in getting things moved in.

They were drink barrels both times. I thought intially it was maybe because a dwarf had claimed it for drinking or something and when I moved stuff in, but they had moved everything at once (as much as 7 dwarves could do it at once anyway) when I set up the indoor stockpile.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: August 06, 2013, 10:30:24 am »

They were drink barrels both times. I thought intially it was maybe because a dwarf had claimed it for drinking or something and when I moved stuff in, but they had moved everything at once (as much as 7 dwarves could do it at once anyway) when I set up the indoor stockpile.

Does the stockpile have enough barrel allocated? It might seem obvious and probably working if the food got hauled in, but I've had it mess with me or dwarves hauling food out of barrels without me noticing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: August 06, 2013, 10:41:04 am »

I did try that and didn't work the first time around, of course though, at first the stockpile didn't work, was cofused for a min and then realized my noob mistake, I had forgotten to set the stockpile settings.. The second time that it happened might actually have been related to room in the stockpile, not sure.

The first time, I got the thing through with a dump order and the second time I forget exactly what I did.

For the first one, I had a troop of grey langurs attempting to thieve the supplies (one did make off with a rope) and getting slaughtered by the dogs while doing so, so I was in a bit of a hurry to get everything in that time.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: August 06, 2013, 01:13:31 pm »

Today's questions after last nights' play session:

Wounded pet dog after a siege (broken rear leg and missing front paw)... tried to build a hospital zone on top of him; then I thought he needed a bed to get diagnosed ... so I was building him a dog house (so I could build a bed 'inside'); during which time he managed to drag himself off the hospital zone and onto a prospective wall tile ... redesigned only to have him move again out from under a roof ... eventually the rear leg healed and he went looking for his owner ... anything to be done for them or no?

I finally am having some progress on trading, but items are laying around at  the depot ... is my stockpile too full or dwarfs too busy?

Trapped some badger sow/boar; waited till they produced cubs then tamed a breeding set of those ... any point in that besides my learning how?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: August 06, 2013, 01:23:49 pm »

Dog Medical: Nope, it's bugged this version, noone will help wounded pets.

Depot: Lot of possibilities, what exactly is still hanging around the depot?

Badger: Food, not worth the energy.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: August 06, 2013, 01:35:35 pm »

Dog Medical: Nope, it's bugged this version, noone will help wounded pets.

Depot: Lot of possibilities, what exactly is still hanging around the depot?

Badger: Food, not worth the energy.

items I got in trade do not leave nor do items that I fail to trade ... tho they used to so I may have had too many dwarfs landscaping

well I'll put the tame badgers outside the wall to harass invaders ... maybe their rage can work for me LOL

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: August 06, 2013, 02:25:28 pm »

Badgers are fun, keep breeding them and keep training them until you wind up with a generation of fully domesticated badgers, which you can then keep safely without having to worry about retraining.  They breed prolifically, they can make fine sources of meat, bones and leather even with the bug that fortress-born creatures don't grow to full size.  That rage makes them fun to use as a first line of defense against invaders, or to keep a pit of them to toss captives into.  They don't graze, so you can pasture them anywhere.

Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 422