Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879489 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4905 on: August 01, 2013, 12:04:55 am »

Will a military uniform that does not include a weapon interfere with a civilian uniform that does?

I'm wanting to put all (4 of) my dwarfs in leggings, mail shirts, and high boots to keep them from going insane from nudity, long enough that I can clear out some zombies and trade in some pig tails.  Don't want to lose mining or woodcutting, though.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: August 01, 2013, 01:49:52 am »

As far as I understand it Hunter/Woodcutter/etc is a full uniform, including clothing.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: August 01, 2013, 04:07:17 am »

Also, though I've never tested it, I believe Elves will buy prisoners for use as slaves, but imho using them as training dummies is more productive..

As far as I know, anything non-tame will escape when cage's moved to trade depot, to displeasure of many a dwarves and overseer as goblins and dragons rampages around!

Will a military uniform that does not include a weapon interfere with a civilian uniform that does?

I'm wanting to put all (4 of) my dwarfs in leggings, mail shirts, and high boots to keep them from going insane from nudity, long enough that I can clear out some zombies and trade in some pig tails.  Don't want to lose mining or woodcutting, though.

It's full uniform setting, overriding everything, I just micromanage a bit by having woodcutters and miner only do those job and turning the job off and hauling on when they're done digging and chopping. If you does it quickly, then bad thought shouldn't hold out too long.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: August 01, 2013, 09:09:09 am »

So there I was all-pleased-with-myself for figuring out that the different colored 'F's in stock list indicated different amounts of forbidden gear ... y'know ... without having to ask

Since I am still not having the effect I expect with d-b-d (lets assume I have a glitch rather than going into my intelligence and/or sanity) ... I UN forbid weapons and shield in stock list and behold dwarfs go and collect them from the goblins ...

AND:
I had released goblins into a locked room with fortifications and my stationed squad with marks dwarfs wouldn't shoot them, assigned them to kill them ... still no shooting ... checked weapons ... at least one had crossbow check (didn't check others since apparently not the issue) checked for bolts squad assigned to use for combat and training (that is if the different colored 'CT' indicates that)

AND (on the subject of interface):
brew and cook permissions on the kitchen menu ... wouldn't it have been better to head two columns with brew and cook and yes/no the items?  is a blue cook to not cook it or to not eat it?  or is that red for no?  or is red for heat?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: August 01, 2013, 09:20:56 am »

Right, forbidden (default for items held by foreigners) overrides dump. So, you have to claim (unforbid) and dump the items you want removed.

Kill orders mean run up to the enemy and swing something at them. Give your marksdwarves a station order and they should start shooting.

The kitchen menu works similar to the stones menu in that red means disabled and the other color means enabled. Also note that cook specifically refers to cooking an item at a kitchen (which doesn't produce seeds btw). Your dwarves will eat anything edible and you have no way to control which ones.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: August 01, 2013, 10:07:08 am »

So there I was all-pleased-with-myself for figuring out that the different colored 'F's in stock list indicated different amounts of forbidden gear ... y'know ... without having to ask

Since I am still not having the effect I expect with d-b-d (lets assume I have a glitch rather than going into my intelligence and/or sanity) ... I UN forbid weapons and shield in stock list and behold dwarfs go and collect them from the goblins ...

Oops, I forget that you had to unforbid those stuffs too, it's not your intelligence or sanity. Well, at least it makes disarming them easier by doing the dump without claiming and going to stock list and unforbidding gears. Dimmed F means that there're at least one thing either unforbiddened or forbiddened but not all of them.

AND:
I had released goblins into a locked room with fortifications and my stationed squad with marks dwarfs wouldn't shoot them, assigned them to kill them ... still no shooting ... checked weapons ... at least one had crossbow check (didn't check others since apparently not the issue) checked for bolts squad assigned to use for combat and training (that is if the different colored 'CT' indicates that)

If dwarves are more than a step away from fortification, crossbowier can't shoot through them unless they're elite. I don't think actual kill orders works properly for crossbowier like that. Just stationing and making sure they're against fortification works for me. Checkmarks in equipment list aren't always accurate, it means equipments are assigned, not that it's on the dwarves themselves.

brew and cook permissions on the kitchen menu ... wouldn't it have been better to head two columns with brew and cook and yes/no the items?  is a blue cook to not cook it or to not eat it?  or is that red for no?  or is red for heat?

Red means to not to use, blue means to use it. Yeah, it's a bit of odd interface detail, but I usually ignore it and use stockpile giving to kitchen so they can't use anything outside of it and limit the stuff in there.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: August 01, 2013, 06:55:00 pm »

AND:

As I posted earlier, the OP who said to use d-b-d forgot to mention that, though it marks items for dumping, they remain forbidden, thus you can un-forbid them thru the Stocks screen or us d-b-c to un-forbid .  The problem with un-forbidding thru the Stock screen is it's cumbersome and if you've dumped a bunch of worn clothing, the dwarves are going to make unnecessary trips hauling Junk when they could be doing something more productive.

Check the Marksdwarfs with 'v' and look into it's inventory, highlight the quiver and press enter.  I you see no bolts, they've got no bolts.

Finally, Red means don't cook/brew.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

schoeggu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: August 02, 2013, 10:23:46 am »

Hello

The save of one of my worlds has somehow been corrupted. Now when i try to load the fortress, the game crashes.
Is there a way to abandon the fortress without loaidng it to save the world?
Or to extract the wordlgen parameters of this world without being able to use legends? (because there is still an active fort, which i cannot abandon because of the crash) So I could at least regen the world?

Thanks

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: August 02, 2013, 11:45:15 am »

I'm sorry to say this, as there's no truly reliable way to fix it, your world has experienced Armageddon.
Good luck on your next world gen.
I back-up my pre-embark/post-abandon world files so I can at least selvage those.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

schoeggu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: August 02, 2013, 12:12:33 pm »

Thank you for your answer. I expetcted that I'll have to regen a world.
Usually i don't hesitate in generating new worlds, but in this world i had multiple 10+ year fortresses and had planned to visit them on adventure mode.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: August 02, 2013, 02:01:07 pm »

AND:

As I posted earlier, the OP who said to use d-b-d forgot to mention that, though it marks items for dumping, they remain forbidden, thus you can un-forbid them thru the Stocks screen or us d-b-c to un-forbid .  The problem with un-forbidding thru the Stock screen is it's cumbersome and if you've dumped a bunch of worn clothing, the dwarves are going to make unnecessary trips hauling Junk when they could be doing something more productive.

Check the Marksdwarfs with 'v' and look into it's inventory, highlight the quiver and press enter.  I you see no bolts, they've got no bolts.

Finally, Red means don't cook/brew.
thank you
Despite repeated posts that it is more productive to train soldiers on captives, I'm beginning to think that pitting them live is better choice so I don't have to move all the laundry ... and until I can melt the metal most of the gear is useless to me

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: August 02, 2013, 08:35:29 pm »

the trapped goblins are in a stockpile for occupied cages ... do I need to 'build' that cage first?

There are two ways to get a goblin out of a cage.  You can either build the cage, and then hook it up to a lever, and pull the lever; or you can simply order the creature to be thrown into a Pit zone.

The lever takes a lot more work (you have to build the cage, build a lever, then connect the two), but the advantage is that you can hook up a whole bunch of cages to a single lever, and open them all at once.  You know, if you have some reason to want all the creatures released at the same time.  Also, the lever can be very, very far away from the cages.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: August 02, 2013, 10:15:28 pm »

you can also put a lot of goblins in one cage, no need to build all the cages seperately
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: August 02, 2013, 10:38:56 pm »

For maximum amusement, put a hatch over your melee barracks and your animal cages nearby.  Pit goblins directly to the melee barracks.

Not very clean, but highly amusing.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: August 03, 2013, 11:32:36 am »

1) does water pick up 'force' as it goes down 'Z'?
2) can I reduce the mud accumulation in my aqueduct with faster flow?
3) Windmill produces power; automated waterwheel produces power (and uses a portion to self perpetuate) ... what do I need power for if I can't run a blast furnace with it?

If I read the wiki correctly I can do one gear and an 5 tiles of axle before my windmill will not power the screw pump or is windmill power variable?  the one I built produces 20
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 422