Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879493 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4890 on: July 28, 2013, 12:59:37 pm »

Does the proportion of region tiles of a certain biome impact the types and frequency of creatures spawning?

In other words, will an embark that's 3/4 evil biome spawn undead creatures 3 times as much as an embark that is 1/4 evil?
Spawning happens at the edge, so I assume that if 3/4 of your edge tiles are evil you'll get 3 times the evil creatures.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: July 28, 2013, 01:01:05 pm »

I am not finding quiver as a definable part of uniform ...is it assumed with crossbow as long as it is available?

Yep, same as waterskin/flask/vial if dwarves are allowed to carry drinks, as long as you have enough of such equipment

Does the proportion of region tiles of a certain biome impact the types and frequency of creatures spawning?

In other words, will an embark that's 3/4 evil biome spawn undead creatures 3 times as much as an embark that is 1/4 evil?
Spawning happens at the edge, so I assume that if 3/4 of your edge tiles are evil you'll get 3 times the evil creatures.

Spawning happens by biome and is limited by it too and the creature within it.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: July 29, 2013, 02:14:26 pm »

I'm slowly boxing myself through equipment management for military. There's still a lot of room for improvement imo but I am slowly getting a grip. I managed to equip my squads and even have my marksdwarves consistently restock ammunition (big challenge!). One thing still does not really work though: everytime I want a dwarf to drop(!) an item from the inventory, they just stand around doing nothing (e.g. drop cap to equip helm). I deactivated all other labours and tried but the forbid the item and mark it for dumping. Nothing happens...
Anyone with an idea how to fix this?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: July 29, 2013, 05:03:42 pm »

Is it just a matter of them not picking up helmets or other armor pieces?  The first thing to change there is to set their uniform to replace clothing rather than be layered over it.  It fixes almost every problem related to that.

If it's because you just want a dwarf to drop some gear to get something better, then all you can really do sometimes is wait.  They'll take their merry time doing it sometimes.  Issuing a station order will usually jump start it though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: July 29, 2013, 05:50:30 pm »

Is it just a matter of them not picking up helmets or other armor pieces?  The first thing to change there is to set their uniform to replace clothing rather than be layered over it.  It fixes almost every problem related to that.
i tried that at first. the issue with that is that you have to have all armor pieces made. if you want to slowly upgrade from cloth/leather to metal, this option would leave your dwarves pretty much naked and spell tantrums and FUN in the long run.
what I eventually did was to add all starter civilian items (gloves, mittens, socks, shoes etc.) to my uniform, so that they leave their clothes on. but now if I want to upgrade, let's say, my hood from cloth to leather, I can't get my dwarves to drop their old hoods.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: July 29, 2013, 06:02:40 pm »

Do you have their uniform set to specifically be leather hoods?  If not, keep in mind that they pick the most valuable item to wear, so if you've got masterwork cloth hoods they'll prefer those over cheap leather hoods.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: July 29, 2013, 11:19:18 pm »

So, my Monarch arrived and just happens to be a vampire.  Normally, I just assign a pleasant room for them, wall it in and put them to book keeping, but in this case I wonder what might happen if there were an unfortunate accident.  I usually put up with nobles, but I'd like to cleanse this ruler.

Is the Monarch replaced in this or any future fortresses of the same civilization? The wiki doesn't mention anything about this.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: July 30, 2013, 12:14:44 am »

In the current version, I'm pretty sure the monarch won't be replaced no matter what happens.  Presumably that will be changed in the upcoming version though.

Having said that, I don't know if there are any tangible consequences to killing him.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: July 30, 2013, 07:49:21 pm »

1) I am starting to get some results from barracks training: report screen has said in the past that dwarfs were sparring.  It seems to indicate now that they are fighting and I have had 3 deaths during training.  Two were wrestlers that seemed to 'land wrong' (collided with an obstacle) after being thrown and suffered damage that ultimately made them suffocate ... any profit in making a sand floor?
They're fighting (ie. showing up in the Combat reports) because there's no such thing as a sparring throw, and they're doing throws because they don't have any weapons with which to lightly tap each other. You can stop them from throwing each other around by giving them a weapon. A shield works too, as they'll use it as a blunt weapon.

If you do want them to practice Wrestling, then they'll need armour. Leather armour has stopped the injuries for me while I got metal armour made, but if you let them spar in only leather for long enough you'll probably get a fatality. Give the dwarves skull and spine protection at the very least -- a helm for the skull, and a mail shirt or breastplate/leggings-or-greaves for the spine. With this alone you may get quite a few broken wrists and legs, but nothing fatal or permanently crippling.

I don't know if sand is simulated to be softer than stone. If you can easily move your barracks to a sand area, do so. Either it will do no harm, or it will be helpful.

As for the lever issue, I'm not sure if it's been addressed, but raising bridges one tile wide don't visually change when they change states. Either build the bridges 2 wide, or find another way to check if they're up or down. If the area around the bridge is accessible to wagons, check the depot access. You could also try stationing soldiers on top of the bridge and checking the Unit list to see whether they're carring out the station order or complaining about 'unreachable location'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: July 31, 2013, 08:59:07 am »

1) I am starting to get some results from barracks training: report screen has said in the past that dwarfs were sparring.  It seems to indicate now that they are fighting and I have had 3 deaths during training.  Two were wrestlers that seemed to 'land wrong' (collided with an obstacle) after being thrown and suffered damage that ultimately made them suffocate ... any profit in making a sand floor?
They're fighting (ie. showing up in the Combat reports) because there's no such thing as a sparring throw, and they're doing throws because they don't have any weapons with which to lightly tap each other. You can stop them from throwing each other around by giving them a weapon. A shield works too, as they'll use it as a blunt weapon.

If you do want them to practice Wrestling, then they'll need armour. Leather armour has stopped the injuries for me while I got metal armour made, but if you let them spar in only leather for long enough you'll probably get a fatality. Give the dwarves skull and spine protection at the very least -- a helm for the skull, and a mail shirt or breastplate/leggings-or-greaves for the spine. With this alone you may get quite a few broken wrists and legs, but nothing fatal or permanently crippling.

I don't know if sand is simulated to be softer than stone. If you can easily move your barracks to a sand area, do so. Either it will do no harm, or it will be helpful.

As for the lever issue, I'm not sure if it's been addressed, but raising bridges one tile wide don't visually change when they change states. Either build the bridges 2 wide, or find another way to check if they're up or down. If the area around the bridge is accessible to wagons, check the depot access. You could also try stationing soldiers on top of the bridge and checking the Unit list to see whether they're carring out the station order or complaining about 'unreachable location'.
Thanks ... I went with 2-wides
I am still having issues with assigning gear ... when I first set up a squad there are fewer options on the 'canned embark'.  So I am never sure if they are being willful or if I just don't have it LOL

and I am having definite 'senior moments' trying to strip captive goblins ... I have seen many posts on how to and I am simply not getting it (once I had 5 or 6 dwarfs swarm a goblin cage .. later read that they were stripping the gear, but I haven't been able to repeat it)  And I've never been able to kill one in the cage with arrows

As I scroll down prospective recruits the top panel will include "not a hammerdwarf" or "not a marksdwarf" etc .... is thid because I have set the uniform to have specific weapon ... or had the previous dwarf in that slot been assigned to a hammer and this guy isn't?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: July 31, 2013, 12:36:36 pm »

and I am having definite 'senior moments' trying to strip captive goblins ... I have seen many posts on how to and I am simply not getting it (once I had 5 or 6 dwarfs swarm a goblin cage .. later read that they were stripping the gear, but I haven't been able to repeat it)  And I've never been able to kill one in the cage with arrows
I don't think you can attack something when it's inside a cage.

As I scroll down prospective recruits the top panel will include "not a hammerdwarf" or "not a marksdwarf" etc .... is thid because I have set the uniform to have specific weapon ... or had the previous dwarf in that slot been assigned to a hammer and this guy isn't?
I believe this is because of the uniform assigned.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: July 31, 2013, 12:40:32 pm »

d-b-d over the cages, then k over each of them and hit d. That'll designate everything within the area to be dumped, then undesignate the cage themselves from being dumped. Alternate method would be to use stockpile screen and dump/unforbid any forbiddened weapons.

And you can't kill things that's within cage, short of magma for non-safe material or atomsmasher. You have to pull the critter out before it dies to military.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: July 31, 2013, 12:56:44 pm »

d-b-d over the cages, then k over each of them and hit d. That'll designate everything within the area to be dumped, then undesignate the cage themselves from being dumped. Alternate method would be to use stockpile screen and dump/unforbid any forbiddened weapons.

And you can't kill things that's within cage, short of magma for non-safe material or atomsmasher. You have to pull the critter out before it dies to military.

the trapped goblins are in a stockpile for occupied cages ... do I need to 'build' that cage first?  So d-esignate, b-uilding settings, d-ump for each tile with cage ... and "k over each of them" would be normal going thru item list in pile?

the post I had read indicated the dwarfs come to take away the gear ... is it taken to a dump  zone?  I had found that post with a search query so it might have been a previous version

So those referring to easy target practice for marksdwarfs are releasing them behind fortifications with a lever?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: July 31, 2013, 01:10:21 pm »

the trapped goblins are in a stockpile for occupied cages ... do I need to 'build' that cage first?  So d-esignate, b-uilding settings, d-ump for each tile with cage ... and "k over each of them" would be normal going thru item list in pile?

the post I had read indicated the dwarfs come to take away the gear ... is it taken to a dump  zone?  I had found that post with a search query so it might have been a previous version

So those referring to easy target practice for marksdwarfs are releasing them behind fortifications with a lever?

Yes they'll dump stuff into dump zone. And yes, build and link to lever to open cage in an arena or barrack for dwarves to lay them low. I don't really bother using stockpile list to try to dump stuffs since I just strip everyone naked before either pitting them outside if I feels bored and generous, or using lever to give my dwarves military training.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: July 31, 2013, 03:38:18 pm »

You forgot that you also need to unforbid their equipment.  Also, you don't need to build a holding cage, just view said cage using 'k' and press 'd' to remove the dump flag.  Full key sequence over the captive is;

d-b-c-<rtnX2>(unforbid equipment)-d-<rtnX2>(dump equipment)-esc-k-d(remove dump flag from cage)-esc

For captive disposal, I build a 8x8 room accessed by set of 1x1 down-stairs, build hatch cover so I can lock everything in, channel a 1x1 access (NOT next to the stairs) over the room and designate it as a 1x1 pit.  I then move a squad of recruits into the room, lock the hatch and start pitting the prisoners into the room.  (Any children who follow the squad into the room either gain battle skills or die.  Nobody said being a dwarven child would be easy.)  Once the fun is over, unlock the hatch, remove the Station order, and mark all remains for dumping.
Also, though I've never tested it, I believe Elves will buy prisoners for use as slaves, but imho using them as training dummies is more productive..
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 422