Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879551 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4845 on: July 14, 2013, 09:38:55 pm »

I can do that, but that doesn't answer the question of how to get more alcohol to be stored in each one.  I currently have a 3x6 area stockpile for drinks, and it's full of barrels holding about 5 alcohol each.  How do I get the dwarves to store more alcohol in each one?

You don't, the brewer does.  It depends on the stack that's made at the brewery, it's stored as a single unit in the barrel.  Will depend on your brewer, not you.  I don't know all the details though, I'm relatively sure it's not based on the plant stack size that's inserted.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: July 15, 2013, 12:41:34 am »

Anyway to change the default stockpile settings?
So, for instance, a brand new food stockpile will not use barrels and forbids eggs.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: July 15, 2013, 12:49:40 am »

So, for instance, a brand new food stockpile will not use barrels and forbids eggs.

I don't think that you can prevent automatically assigning barrels, but a custom stockpile might help, just use t in the stockpile menu to set up a foodpile and then forbid eggs from it ((e)nable food and (f)orbid eggs).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 12:51:50 am by hiroshi42 »
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: July 15, 2013, 09:51:08 am »

You don't, the brewer does.  It depends on the stack that's made at the brewery, it's stored as a single unit in the barrel.  Will depend on your brewer, not you.  I don't know all the details though, I'm relatively sure it's not based on the plant stack size that's inserted.

This is incorrect.  It is 100% dependent on the size of the stack of plants that get brewed.  Brewing skill only affects the speed with which the brewing job is completed -- it has no effect on the finished booze at all.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: July 15, 2013, 10:10:45 am »

q -> stockpile -> s

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: July 15, 2013, 10:20:28 am »

I started a new embark (in the LFR mod, but I don't think that's immediately relevant), and I'm getting floor fungus before I've found any of the caverns.  There's a black sand layer just below the surface, and while I was digging my entrance tunnel through that, I started seeing the fungus.

This embark site has a brook which flows south, drops 12 Z-layers (creating mist), then continues flowing south.

Do waterfalls generally cause fungus to appear, or is there an undiscovered hole leading to the caverns somewhere that I need to worry about closing?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: July 15, 2013, 10:23:43 am »

If you have breached the caverns in that area (you have a abadonded fort nearby), cave moss will appear even without breaching caverns again.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: July 15, 2013, 11:26:04 am »

If you have breached the caverns in that area (you have a abadonded fort nearby), cave moss will appear even without breaching caverns again.

Ah, that could be it.  I've had other fortresses in this world, but I don't know how far away they were.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: July 15, 2013, 11:40:11 am »

you only need to share a biome with one, actual physical distance is less important
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: July 15, 2013, 01:02:27 pm »

This is incorrect.  It is 100% dependent on the size of the stack of plants that get brewed.  Brewing skill only affects the speed with which the brewing job is completed -- it has no effect on the finished booze at all.

Oh.  I just re-read the wiki with that in mind and I interpreted what is written there incorrectly.  My apologies for spreading my confusion. 

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: July 16, 2013, 09:42:09 am »

Why does making a brand new bucket kick-start all the "Give Water" and "Give Food" jobs?

Maybe it's just me, but I've seen this across multiple fortresses.  If all my buckets are lying around with water[5] in them or whatever, my injured dwarves will lie in their beds starving and dehydrating.  But as soon as I make a new bucket, voila!  Four "Give Food" jobs!

Is this a known issue?  Is there a better workaround that doesn't involve making new buckets every month?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: July 16, 2013, 11:57:26 am »

no clue, sounds interesting
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: July 17, 2013, 02:01:44 am »

Why does making a brand new bucket kick-start all the "Give Water" and "Give Food" jobs?

Maybe it's just me, but I've seen this across multiple fortresses.  If all my buckets are lying around with water[5] in them or whatever, my injured dwarves will lie in their beds starving and dehydrating.  But as soon as I make a new bucket, voila!  Four "Give Food" jobs!

Is this a known issue?  Is there a better workaround that doesn't involve making new buckets every month?

Not sure why it is starting the give food jobs, but it is a known issue that if all your buckets are full of water they cannot be used to give water.  Try using dfhack's drybucket (or similar) command or dump the water from the stocks menu.

Question:  What are the thresholds for the various 'Tragedy' levels like "doesn't care about anything anymore".  I have been splashecutioning every nondwarf I can spare and have yet to see my civilians become remotely bothered.  I believe that everyone is in range of the death pit.

[edited for reading comprehension]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 05:03:58 am by hiroshi42 »
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

George7823

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: July 18, 2013, 02:47:03 am »

1.How do I get my Military Dwarfs equip their Full Amour and their Weapons? I seen most of Them have Helm and Caps but not their Breast Plate and boots.

2.Why Dwarf are not Training and Sparring anymore? Is it Because My Commander is Wounded from our Last Siege? :(

3.What is the quickest way to Found my Cavern?

4. Should I even look for my Cavern? My Military is really weak right now and Heard that Cavern have Ant People and Trolls in there should I still try finding it?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: July 18, 2013, 02:56:06 am »

1: wait wait and wait. If you're using the latest version they can't equip a helmet and cap at the same time though. Make sure they actually equip it and don't just claim it

2: That is not the reason. Maybe they're taking some R&R after all the fighting?

3: dig down anywhere that is not the exact middle of the map. It gives a good chance to find a cavern. Note tht there are 3 cavern layers, not just one

4: Sure. Likely as not you'll open the caverns somewhere from a ceiling ar up high in a wall. Then you can quietly close the hole again while you continue digging down and around with what you know now, make a proper guarded entrance and open the caverns again. Use traps etc if your militia is not up to the fighting
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 422