Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879579 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4815 on: July 10, 2013, 06:37:56 pm »

I think water over 3/7 (or was it 2/7?) will only evaporate if the ambient temperature reaches water's boiling point.  Murky pools may behave differently from that, I'm not sure.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: July 10, 2013, 06:38:53 pm »

Okay, I was hoping this was just weird murky pool logic.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: July 10, 2013, 06:40:44 pm »

Does scorching temperature only affect murky pools? If I make an above-ground cistern, will it evaporate even if it has deep water?

If you cover the pool/lake/cistern with a roof you should be protected from the extreme biome related evaporation.  A roof should also prevent grass from browning if it hasn't dried up already.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: July 11, 2013, 07:21:29 pm »

I have used the "prospect all" and "reveal" commands to examine my new 3x3 embark site. "Prospect all" tells me that I have over 8000 raw Adamantine on-map. "Reveal" shows no sign of it. None... right down to the SMR level.

What gives? Do I have crap-loads of Adamantine, or not?
Never pet a burning dog.

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: July 11, 2013, 07:26:03 pm »

By default reveal won't reveal candy and related features so the clowns don't spawn.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: July 11, 2013, 07:56:36 pm »

By default reveal won't reveal candy and related features so the clowns don't spawn.

Got it, thanks.

Looks like that 8,000+ Adamantine is mostly in one SOLID spire, with no clown-car until I get a dozen levels down into the SMR.

Cool.
Never pet a burning dog.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: July 11, 2013, 11:12:17 pm »

Alright, my clothing operation is starting to annoy me.  I've got silk, cloth, and yarn for days, particularly cloth.  I keep getting cancellations about the stuff not being available.  I deconstructed/rebuilt the workshops to make sure I didn't have any accidental stockpile links, confirmed via stocks that the cloth/silk/etc is in the stockpile directly under the workshops (stairs connected, I see the dorfs using them), and that the orders screen for workshops is set to use 'any cloth'.

What am I forgetting to look at?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: July 12, 2013, 12:05:37 am »

When a Dwarf picks up a bin (to carry it someplace in order to add one more item to it, for instance), everything in the bin is unavailable until he puts it down again.

Try disallowing bins in your cloth and thread stockpiles.
Never pet a burning dog.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: July 12, 2013, 12:15:04 am »

Bins weren't tasked, unfortunately, but as an overkill measure I killed the stockpile, created a new one with no bins, and am loading cloth to that.  Seems to be working, but I've never ran into serious cancellations before from bin usage.  Minor, sure, but not to the extent of cancelling over 80% of the jobs.

Looger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: July 12, 2013, 02:28:52 am »

My bowyer just made an artifact bow. Is there any difference between a bow and a crossbow, except for the one being native and the other beign foreign?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:45:21 am by Looger »

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: July 12, 2013, 03:04:45 am »

My bowyer just made an artifact bow. Is there any difference between a bow and a crossbow, except for the one being native and the other beign foreign?

Bows require arrows which cannot be made locally without modding.  Either make nice with the elves (and maybe humans?) or store it somewhere
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: July 12, 2013, 04:06:14 am »

a bow used as melee weapon is less useful than a crossbow
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: July 13, 2013, 12:25:35 am »

Why?
._.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: July 13, 2013, 03:11:39 am »

Why?

It uses the 'sword' weapon skill and has no edge.

The main problem with bows is, as has been pointed out, the ammunition. Arrows must be imported, but luckily, there are enough sources to keep two or three bowdwarfs supplied. Elven and human merchants will bring arrows. Kobold ambushes always come with healthy bow-bold contingents, goblins can have bow-users, too. If you manage to kill/capture them before they empty their quivers, you can confiscate additional ammo from them. Arrows of elven make are best reserved for training; switch to metal only once you're happy with your bowdwarf's skill (you might need to de-mobilise/redraft when switching, to get rid of wooden arrows already in the quiver).

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: July 13, 2013, 08:44:26 am »

Try to understand conditions for cave moss: I know completely dry caverns may end without any growth but bloodthorn. But now I have a cavern (2nd layer) with plenty of water, mushroom trees and shrubs but zero moss (muddy floor) - is this normal? How does this happen? Could be relevant if I consider underground pastures. In another fortress I have seen muddy floor fertilized by dragon fire - moss started to grow after exposure. Can anyone explain how this works?
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 422