Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879583 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4770 on: June 29, 2013, 03:06:23 pm »

*headscratch*  Alright, I wounded my hammerer due to bad lever control decisions, and he's just lying on the floor with a broken leg, dying of thirst and hunger.

I just slapped together a few traction benches and stuffed 'em into the hospital, just in case.  There's open beds there as well.  I can't even get a 'drag wounded' or whatever the job name is to cycle into the job list, nevermind get this poor guy up to the hospital.  there's no alerts and he's very accessible in the internals of the fort, and I've got tons of hauler types with recover wounded enabled.

What am I missing to get this guy to not end up dead as a doornail?
This may or may not work, but try making a meeting area over him.
It works for cleaning, it might work for other ultra-low-priority jobs.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: June 29, 2013, 03:27:39 pm »

Oddly enough, the situation resolved itself just as another of my members died randomly in the kitchen from wounds since two of my dorfs decided to have a fistfight (which is odd, they've all got crossbows).  One of my masons (for reasons unknown) actually cared enough to go fire up the job request and drag his sorry butt up to the hospital.

I have no idea why it finally fixed itself, the poor guy was starved and dehydrated nearly to death, but he's on the mend now.

Thom293

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: June 29, 2013, 11:20:55 pm »

Couple of questions:

1.  Ive loads of chopped wood lying about where it was cut (cut before 3 sieges ago I would guess).  Ive turned off all jobs but woodhauling for a number of dwarfs.  They will pick up newly chopped wood, but stuff that has been out there a while - they wont touch.  I have checked the stocks screen and none of the logs are forbidden.  Is there a way I can make them go pick this stuff up?  I do have a general "inside" burrow set up for basically 140 levels inside my mountain, and technically the stockpiles are in that burrow, but its not activated right now...  Anyway - some of the logs are in caverns that are inside the 'inside' burrow.

2.  Bones/Skeletons - I have a number of Partial X skeletons and some full skeletons laying about.  Some in a large refuse pile.  Some on the floor.  I would like the bones to make bolts.  Wiki says I need to butcher the skeletons to get the individual bones, but the jobs cancel them when I list them in a butcher shot.  Again - I dont think any of these are forbidden.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 11:24:07 pm by Thom293 »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: June 30, 2013, 12:12:41 am »

1.  Ive loads of chopped wood lying about where it was cut (cut before 3 sieges ago I would guess).  Ive turned off all jobs but woodhauling for a number of dwarfs.  They will pick up newly chopped wood, but stuff that has been out there a while - they wont touch.  I have checked the stocks screen and none of the logs are forbidden.

Hit 'k' and then look at them directly.  If they're surrounded in {} they're forbidden.  Don't always trust stocks, I've found.

Is there a way I can make them go pick this stuff up?  I do have a general "inside" burrow set up for basically 140 levels inside my mountain, and technically the stockpiles are in that burrow, but its not activated right now...  Anyway - some of the logs are in caverns that are inside the 'inside' burrow.
Double check your alerts and make sure you don't have a civilian alert still active.

2.  Bones/Skeletons - I have a number of Partial X skeletons and some full skeletons laying about.  Some in a large refuse pile.  Some on the floor.  I would like the bones to make bolts.  Wiki says I need to butcher the skeletons to get the individual bones, but the jobs cancel them when I list them in a butcher shot.  Again - I dont think any of these are forbidden.
If they're from a sentient being they won't be butchered.  I usually just 'd'ump them and atomsmash.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: June 30, 2013, 12:20:43 am »

Check (o)rders menu.  That thing is a curse.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: June 30, 2013, 04:27:46 am »

skeletons from tame animals also won't be butchered
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: June 30, 2013, 10:54:51 am »

However, arms and heads and the like will eventually decompose into a pile of bones. This is the only way to get goblinbone.

As for the wood, do you have stockpile space? They won't pick things up if there's no "store in stockpile" job generated.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: June 30, 2013, 11:08:49 am »

Do mandates generate announcements?
my baroness just flipped her wig, and it looks like I missed a Mandate, and I was looking to change announcement behavior when a mandate occurs, but I can't see anything. It's mentioned in the wiki on the mandate page, obliquely "if you miss an announcement..." but not on the announcement page.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: June 30, 2013, 12:02:13 pm »

would this help?
You can control which types of announcements do and don't pause and/or recenter the game by editing the announcements.txt file, found at Dwarf Fortress/data/init/announcements.txt. An announcement type containing P will pause when that announcement type is made, and one containing R will re-center when that announcement type is made. For example,
[MIGRANT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:P:R]
means that the game will pause and recenter upon the announcement of migrants arriving. You could change it to
[MIGRANT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:R]
to cause the game to recenter on the arriving migrants, but to not pause the game.

find the one for the start of a mandate and make it pause perhaps?

edit:
alright, so I can't find the anouncements for mandates or export bans quite yet, but I'm sure it's possible
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 12:07:03 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: June 30, 2013, 06:25:32 pm »

That's about where I got to. I was hoping to make it pause/center, and then I couldn't find anything that seemed to relate to mandates, even though I feel like I've seen announcements on them. Maybe I haven't?

would this help?
You can control which types of announcements do and don't pause and/or recenter the game by editing the announcements.txt file, found at Dwarf Fortress/data/init/announcements.txt. An announcement type containing P will pause when that announcement type is made, and one containing R will re-center when that announcement type is made. For example,
[MIGRANT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:P:R]
means that the game will pause and recenter upon the announcement of migrants arriving. You could change it to
[MIGRANT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:R]
to cause the game to recenter on the arriving migrants, but to not pause the game.

find the one for the start of a mandate and make it pause perhaps?

edit:
alright, so I can't find the anouncements for mandates or export bans quite yet, but I'm sure it's possible

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: July 01, 2013, 12:30:40 am »

I'm not sure I've ever seen this before.  When I go into (u)nits, some of my dorfs have flashing names.  There's nothing of note going on in their bios or jobs.  What gives?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: July 01, 2013, 12:50:59 am »

I'm not sure I've ever seen this before.  When I go into (u)nits, some of my dorfs have flashing names.  There's nothing of note going on in their bios or jobs.  What gives?
Flashing indicates a dwarf is legendary at at least one profession.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: July 01, 2013, 12:53:14 am »

Flashing indicates a dwarf is legendary at at least one profession.

Hunh, thanks.  I know I've had legendaries before (even in this fort), but just noticed tonight.

Looger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: July 01, 2013, 04:11:36 am »

I'm totally new to minecarts and have a problem with them: I have two stockpiles, both permitted for claystone blocks, a track that connects both of them and a station at each end linked to the adjacent stockpile. I have set up a route with following options:

Station 1: "take from" and "guide when at least 25% of desired items"
Station 2: "give to" and "guide when empty of desired items"

The minecarts gets loaded correctly but doesn't unload at the final station, instead moving back instantly with all items and now a few times between both stations loaded. what have I done wrong?

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: July 01, 2013, 04:23:03 am »

I'm totally new to minecarts and have a problem with them: I have two stockpiles, both permitted for claystone blocks, a track that connects both of them and a station at each end linked to the adjacent stockpile. I have set up a route with following options:

Station 1: "take from" and "guide when at least 25% of desired items"
Station 2: "give to" and "guide when empty of desired items"

The minecarts gets loaded correctly but doesn't unload at the final station, instead moving back instantly with all items and now a few times between both stations loaded. what have I done wrong?

Have you set up the stop at the dump end to dump the items in the proper direction (ie towards the stockpile)?
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 422