Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879592 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4740 on: June 24, 2013, 02:42:15 pm »

Based on what I've read, it at least appears that dwarven pregnancy follows the same rules as any animal pregnancy, with the restriction that they must be married first layered on top.

I'm inclined to believe that.

If that's true, that would imply that simply locking them in separate rooms or other means of isolation wouldn't be effective.

This part, I'm not sure about.

I think I read somewhere on this forum that physically isolated animals cannot make babies -- that the game had to conduct a path-finding from one to the other before sending the "spores".  But I don't have a reference handy at the moment.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: June 24, 2013, 02:43:07 pm »

is this a bug? Do I have to worry about that or can I ignore it since the depot is clearly accessible, although officially inaccessible?
Stairs and traps prevent the caravans to reach the depot. Maybe this is your problem?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: June 24, 2013, 02:46:20 pm »

Started a new game, 2 1/2 month are gone ingame, just built a trade depot and realized via D, that the whole map, each single aboveground tile, is marked with "no depot access" although there is enough place for a caravan to enter and to move, it's flat terrain and not a tree on every second tile.

Is your depot underground?  Is it connected to the surface by ramps, or by stairs?  Wagons can't go down stairs (well, not intact anyway) -- they have to use ramps, and the ramp must be at least 3 tiles wide.  Also, traps prevent wagon movement just like trees and boulders (now) (once again).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Looger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: June 24, 2013, 02:58:30 pm »

yes, there are ramps, no traps, walls whatever - the fort is pretty virgin.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: June 24, 2013, 03:01:35 pm »

as to why the whole map looks inaccessible - it checks starting at the depot and from the point where -wagons- can't access it the rest will be colored red. This could be traps, stairs or a place where trees or boulders make the path anything less than 3 wide. Note that the green 'path' of accessibility is 1 wide even while the actual path is 2. There is no need to make it a 3 wide green path (hey, I did that in the beginning when wagons were first added again)

path might not be wide enough or blocked somewhere. Ramps are also quite easy to mess up
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Looger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: June 24, 2013, 03:16:04 pm »

it checks starting at the depot and from the point where -wagons- can't access it the rest will be colored red.

if this is true it's likely that I have done something wrong - I'll check the ramps and stuff tomorrow, game isn't loaded anymore.

thank you.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: June 24, 2013, 04:25:37 pm »

Maybe someone could put out a "Stubborn Newb Pack" for me to use ... dfhack is something I wanted to avoid.

But it is loaded .. I'll see if it works tonight

thanks
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: June 24, 2013, 04:38:29 pm »

dfhack actually has a lot of fixes for various bugs and issues even though sometimes just temporary. Many of them will probably be in the next big release (hopefully)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: June 24, 2013, 06:10:14 pm »

Based on what I've read, it at least appears that dwarven pregnancy follows the same rules as any animal pregnancy, with the restriction that they must be married first layered on top.

I'm inclined to believe that.

If that's true, that would imply that simply locking them in separate rooms or other means of isolation wouldn't be effective.

This part, I'm not sure about.

I think I read somewhere on this forum that physically isolated animals cannot make babies -- that the game had to conduct a path-finding from one to the other before sending the "spores".  But I don't have a reference handy at the moment.

My experience suggests that animals just need to be present on the map at the same time; as long as the female creature isn't caged, pregnancy is possible. In one game, i had a hermit who had his own little fort away from everybody else, walled shut and floored over. Before i closed the ceiling, i dumped a female puppy in his abode, and she eventually became the matriarch of a large dog population. She was isolated since long before she reached maturity.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: June 25, 2013, 03:32:30 pm »

Just been wondering. Bashing with crossbow uses hammer skill. You can give your crossbowdwarves second weapon, but they won't use it... BUT.
What about giving them a masterwork silver crossbow and some lame, copper hammer, setting their shedule to train, nothing, nothing, train(...) and removing all their labors? This way, they should sped 2 months at archery range and 1 practicing with hammers - giving them some skill to bash gobbos with crossbows more efficently. The only problem here is that I want my crossbowdwarves to use shields, and I don't know any way to tell them "this month, crossbow and hammer, this month, shield and hammer"...
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: June 25, 2013, 06:32:19 pm »

A crossbowdwarf training melee uses its crossbow as a hammer so no need to add a second weapon. At least that has been my experience. Simply add a shield and a sparring partner and they should work it all out by them selves.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: June 25, 2013, 07:29:51 pm »

What I've done before is to start them off as soldiers with hammers in squads of two until they legendary in hammer and shield, which can take about two years. Then they retire to be civilians in full squads of ten using crossbows and train at archery ranges in their spare time. This takes longer to train but because military training improves lots of stats they make for good archers even with low to medium skills plus they make for great craftsdwarves that work extremely fast, and very quickly become legendary in their profession. So after a few years your fort is hugely productive and well defended.

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: June 25, 2013, 09:37:15 pm »

Pretty sure once soldiers reach lord status (lvl 12 i think in any military skill) they can't do civilian jobs.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: June 25, 2013, 10:07:51 pm »

They just have their civilian jobs automatically disabled when they go on duty.  So far as I know they'll still do civilian jobs if you turn them on manually when they go off duty.  A real pain in the neck though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 422