Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879620 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4725 on: June 23, 2013, 11:49:15 am »

I know animals breed via spores, but what about dwarves?  I assumed that was the case, until I read this part of the wiki entry:

Quote from: DF Wiki
The wife will give birth to a baby every year, until she or her husband dies, or until the fortress's population limit or child limit is reached. There are no visible signs of pregnancy, and the only effective means of contraception (other than the child limit) is physical isolation.

Does this refer to physical isolation before (thus preventing relationship gain in the first place) or after marriage?

Based on what I've read, it at least appears that dwarven pregnancy follows the same rules as any animal pregnancy, with the restriction that they must be married first layered on top.  If that's true, that would imply that simply locking them in separate rooms or other means of isolation wouldn't be effective.  Caging them might work however, since I think this works with animals.

Would be interesting to know, if a bit impractical to use.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: June 23, 2013, 11:55:56 am »

as said, they need to be married. Having no meeting area or other place for them to socialize, getting to know one another and after a while married would prevent them getting pregnant. With the 'new' migrant system where married couples immigrate together, this won't work as much as it used to. After they are married, dwarfs reproduce by spores like all animals
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: June 23, 2013, 12:15:15 pm »

After they are married, dwarfs reproduce by spores like all animals
Is there proof of this anywhere?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: June 23, 2013, 12:53:17 pm »

other than what I've seen other people say over the past few years, not as far as I know. The wiki seems to imply keeping two married dwarfs seperated would work, but I must admit I think it unlikely. I have a vague recollection of such a situation and the player wondering how conception had taken place. Feel free to experiment anyway
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: June 23, 2013, 01:02:56 pm »

There may be a bit more to it actually.  Anecdotally I've noticed that particularly busy dwarves (such as soldiers) seem to have less children than ones who idle a lot.  Idle time may factor into it, and if that's the case, then more may factor into it such as path finding.

Probably not, but maybe.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: June 23, 2013, 03:57:35 pm »

Time for some more -Science-.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: June 23, 2013, 05:41:30 pm »

My military never progress past lovers, so no births there, and even then lovers is only reached in mixed gender squads. Some people might be mixing lovers up with marriage.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: June 24, 2013, 07:22:05 am »

I'm trying to set up a meat/wool/milk industry using sheeps.
So far, I think I have managed to get one cheese and no yarn. Is there a critical number of sheeps at which point the industry kicks in?

RtDs!

Chebinger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: June 24, 2013, 08:00:39 am »

Is there any reasonable way to find a circus tent/clown car/magical candy sword/what-have-you? I need one in a good location for my next fort. I know you can embark over the whole region thingy, find its location and then kill the process, but is there a faster way?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: June 24, 2013, 08:13:31 am »

Is there any reasonable way to find a circus tent/clown car/magical candy sword/what-have-you? I need one in a good location for my next fort. I know you can embark over the whole region thingy, find its location and then kill the process, but is there a faster way?

not that I'm aware. dfhack has a command to show special sites and hide/unhide them (caverns etc) that might work, but I don't know if it works pre-embark

So far, I think I have managed to get one cheese and no yarn. Is there a critical number of sheeps at which point the industry kicks in?

It takes time for wool to grow and milk to be made by the animals. In general, your dwarfs will lways work faster than that those things can be 'harvested' again. Having more than one sheep definately helps.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: June 24, 2013, 11:09:47 am »

pretty much every embark is guaranteed to have at least one circus tent somewhere on it

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: June 24, 2013, 11:56:57 am »

No, the wool and milk are generated per animal; i think they can be shorn once per year (like in the real world), milking (females only :P ) takes place quite a bit more often, but i don't know how often; seems like once per season or so, i haven't payed close attention. A single ewe should produce one 'crop' of wool and maybe four or five buckets of milk/cheeses per year.

Slaughtering a sheep or other wool-bearing animal will produce wool as a butchering return. Keep in mind that wool is _extremely_ inefficient: a 'stack' of wool always gets spun to a single yarn thread, regardless of its 'size' - sheep wool [4] and lama wool [15] both give a single thread. This might be a bug, but the result is that a herd of a dozen sheep produces about as much cloth as a single tile (yes, a 1x1 'plot') planted with pig tails.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: June 24, 2013, 12:47:56 pm »

Slaughtering a sheep or other wool-bearing animal will produce wool as a butchering return. Keep in mind that wool is _extremely_ inefficient: a 'stack' of wool always gets spun to a single yarn thread, regardless of its 'size' - sheep wool [4] and lama wool [15] both give a single thread.

Well that sucks.  Good to know, though!

Looger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: June 24, 2013, 02:01:25 pm »

Started a new game, 2 1/2 month are gone ingame, just built a trade depot and realized via D, that the whole map, each single aboveground tile, is marked with "no depot access" although there is enough place for a caravan to enter and to move, it's flat terrain and not a tree on every second tile.

underground everything is fine.

is this a bug? Do I have to worry about that or can I ignore it since the depot is clearly accessible, although officially inaccessible?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:04:24 pm by Looger »

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: June 24, 2013, 02:10:06 pm »

Can I fix the growth bug without a "Lazy Newb Pack" or other add ons? 
Ellipsis free since August 2013.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 422