Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879675 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4650 on: June 11, 2013, 07:49:58 pm »

I assume this is the best place to ask as it is about 2012 update.  I have not played DF as much as other games, such as MC or KSP.  If I download the newest version can I use my old world?   Or will it go bye-bye.  Of course this is the only Fortress to last more than four years...
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: June 11, 2013, 08:46:41 pm »

Any save game or world you had from DF2010 or before, or from a very early version of DF2012 (.03 or so?), will not work in the current release.  Too much changed to keep backward compatibility.  If you generated a world from a relatively recent DF2012 version it should work just fine, and keep in mind that's been around a year since the last release.  So if you've played since then you're probably fine.

Is war with the Elven civilization possible at the moment? If so how can I trigger a war after World Gen.

The fastest way is to probably use DFHack to apply the patch to restore elven diplomats and then kill them.  Past that I think it's quite difficult to trigger war right now, but offering wooden goods to the caravans is rumored to be the best way now, not that I've tried it myself.

Through pain, I find wisdom.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: June 12, 2013, 12:52:15 am »

Is war with the Elven civilization possible at the moment? If so how can I trigger a war after World Gen.

War is certainly possible in world gen.
Last fort I was scrolling around the embark map with the races tab up and noticed war next to the elfs. 

So I embarked there just to fight off elf sieges.  Sad sad sad wooden toy soldiers.  But hey, free wooden breastplates for everyone.

As far as after world gen, I've murdered a lot of elf caravans with out a siege coming.  So I'd bet against plain murder as a solution.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: June 12, 2013, 04:52:22 pm »

as mentioned before, killing caravans simply doesn't provoke enough hostility. You'd have to reinstate the elven diplomat, it's easiest through dfhack, and kill that one a couple of times if you want to start the war withing a reasonable time. Note that even then it's just that one fort that is at war so if you want t try again nearby with the same civ, new fort, no problem
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Vagabond.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: June 12, 2013, 06:35:09 pm »

Alright, question, probobly a stupid one:
Can you make glass floors?
If I do something incredibly idiotic, slap me.

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: June 12, 2013, 06:44:18 pm »

Alright, question, probobly a stupid one:
Can you make glass floors?
Yes, order glass bocks to be made at the glassforge and then select them as the floor material

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: June 13, 2013, 04:41:45 am »

They're still not see-through though
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Vagabond.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: June 13, 2013, 08:39:37 pm »

Alright, another questions, this time about danger rooms:
Firstly, likelyhood to die in a danger room with training spears?
Secondly, should I have 10 spears per spike tile?
If I do something incredibly idiotic, slap me.

Urist Foolbreaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: June 13, 2013, 09:11:39 pm »

Will nether-caps grow in an embark if I only find blood thorns on L3?

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: June 13, 2013, 09:17:22 pm »

You want full coverage of armour to prevent injury (and deaths).
So that's mail shirt, breastplate, gauntlets, greaves, high boot, helm and cloak.
Make sure every dwarf has ALL of these, at least until they're no longer green.
Try to avoid recruiting female dwarves with babies.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: June 14, 2013, 06:25:05 am »

nethercaps will grow if there are nethercaps in the caverns. If there arn't, they won't

danger room:
10 spreas makes for the fastest learning but also increases the risk somewhat. One quick way to get injured is passing out from exhaustion in the room. In general, if you make sure they have basic armor, it's fairly safe. As long as the dwarf is wearing clothes, legs, feet, arms and torso are fairly well protected. Bruises will happen, but cuts and broken bones generally won't. The problem arises with the head and hands usualy, which is why children (who don't wear gloves or helmets), babies (who don't wear anything) and pets (same) are quick to get injured

UberFuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: June 14, 2013, 08:38:23 am »

They're still not see-through though
If you want see through, use grates (granted, you cannot have a floor with all grates, you'll need to alternate grate and floor so the grates can have support).

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
out of bounds for mouse
« Reply #4662 on: June 14, 2013, 01:41:32 pm »

It took me a while to figure out that I needed to be in full screen mode to use my mouse to designate dig, channel and cancel ...

I haven't done a lot of testing on it yet but in one fortress there is an invisible line that I cannot designate 'south' of with the mouse ... I have to use the scroll keys and enter key as if not in full screen ... anything above the line is fine
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: June 14, 2013, 03:17:01 pm »

Resizing the window after it loads the map fixes the "mouse no clicky" problem.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: June 14, 2013, 04:51:39 pm »

Try to avoid recruiting female dwarves with babies.

Alternatively, only recruit females into your crossbow squads, and make sure they're always behind fortifications that the enemy can't get to. They don't need danger rooms. Melee squads really ought to be males only, unless you want to micromanage pregnancies and take them back out after all the training etc.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 422