Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879677 times)

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4635 on: June 07, 2013, 09:52:12 am »

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll use a boiling rock syndrome if I there isn't a more efficient method.
What about the first question? Got any ideas?
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: June 07, 2013, 03:15:20 pm »

well, the lair option doesn't work for the animals. Maybe someone else knows. It may be worth making a seperate thread (to get more attention) or to ask at the modding forum. There is where the people hang out who are (usually) most proficient at changing the game
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: June 08, 2013, 02:36:47 am »

well, the lair option doesn't work for the animals. Maybe someone else knows. It may be worth making a seperate thread (to get more attention) or to ask at the modding forum. There is where the people hang out who are (usually) most proficient at changing the game
Good point, I think I'll go make make a new thread in the modding forum. Thanks.
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: June 09, 2013, 02:25:16 pm »

How do hospitals work?
I've got stockpiles in my hospital, with soap, splints, crutches, thread and cloth.
I've got tables for surgery, beds for the wounded.
I've got nurses, I've got healers and I've got a CMD.
WHY aren't they healing my dwarves?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: June 09, 2013, 04:59:55 pm »

How do hospitals work?
I've got stockpiles in my hospital, with soap, splints, crutches, thread and cloth.
I just turn on every medical job for everyone in the fort and it seems to work fine.
Someone might tell me I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be quality levels or anything for medical treatment.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: June 09, 2013, 06:22:15 pm »

the wiki says that skill affects the chance of infection after a procedure, whether that's true or not i can't say

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: June 10, 2013, 06:59:28 am »

How do hospitals work?

Is your furniture in a stockpile or chests? Usually you need 8 chests/coffers, not stockpiles, in your hospital activity area. The dwarves will take the medical items to the chests themselves. You can check if the items has been assigned successfully in by selecting the zone.

You can also check your wounded medical histories (an option in the "thoughts" screen) to see if they received some aid but not all of it. Perhaps your bone setters or wound dressers are too busy.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:01:07 am by Boltgun »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: June 10, 2013, 09:21:51 am »

medical tasks are way down the list of priorities it often seems. Picking their nose in the meeting area is more inportant than a severed artery.

Skill level may or may not affect infection, but soap generally cancels that out I'd guess. Otherwise it only seems to affect how fast they work.

Watch out with hospital stockpiles, the ones in chests and such, they're pretty buggy. Unless the doctors are burrowed inside the hospital they tend to just grab whatever is closest anyway
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Vagabond.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: June 10, 2013, 04:40:21 pm »

So, basically, I have no idea how to construct a bridge over water. As in, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever. I want to make a bridge to cross this fairly large river 24 feet across, but I have absolutely no idea how...
Any help? Also, can I make it a drawbridge to launch goblins into space?
If I do something incredibly idiotic, slap me.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: June 10, 2013, 04:44:13 pm »

The option to construct a bridge is under the same menu as building everything else in fort mode.  Option 'g' I think?  Once you go to that option, it will want you to place the bridge, as well as select its length and width (using the umhk keys I think).  You also have to select the direction that it will raise, if you want it to be a raising drawbridge.  I can't remember the keys for selecting that, but it's in the sidebar.  Once you pick the direction, height, width and location, you just select the materials and the dwarves will take care of the rest.  You'll need a dwarf with architecture active I think.

Are you having a specific problem on any particular step?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: June 10, 2013, 11:15:52 pm »

He can't build a bridge 24 tiles long. The longest allowed is 10.

He can build floors over the river for 14 squares, and then a bridge for the last 10.

And yes, the key command to build a bridge is b-g

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: June 11, 2013, 03:14:19 am »

Or you could build two raising bridges and one retracting bridge in the middle.
Thanks for the hospital btw.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: June 11, 2013, 04:27:28 am »

if it's a canyon, he can't get to the other side to construct part of the bridge there, so in that case just build the floors and then the bridge

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: June 11, 2013, 06:05:12 am »

Or you could build two raising bridges and one retracting bridge in the middle.

Bridges won't support buildings, so without access to the other side (e.g. through a tunnel under the river) you cannot span more than ten tiles via bridge. And if you have access to both banks but no way to build a solid pylon in the middle of the river, you can span at most twenty (two retracting bridges extended from both sides).

As has been said, ordinary floor can be built over rivers and other open space and will support adjacent structures (other floors, but also bridges).

Knightl

• Bay Watcher
  • Slightly mad- A happy mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: June 11, 2013, 07:11:49 pm »

Is war with the Elven civilization possible at the moment? If so how can I trigger a war after World Gen.

Extremely rarely, you'll see peasants without a bed or booze achieve it, because their life is shit.

Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 422