Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879694 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4605 on: June 03, 2013, 07:31:57 am »

1: this may help:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Pressure

in short, it depends on where the water is comming from and if you take any measures to remove pressure

2: sure, and it's not that strange. Most dikes and canals have dirt, clay or sand as base materials, with some boulders tossed in in some cases because those don't flow away as easily during construction. They are usually only in danger of breaking when you have a very dry period followed by a flood from upriver. Don't ask the specifics, I don't know, but dry dikes don't work. If you want to see it at work, come visit the netherlands
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: June 03, 2013, 07:46:07 am »

I've set up the well. Well, two wells actually. The first is above ground and the other is the level below, in my hospital. The first well didn't work and my fort flooded. Stone under a soil tile with water comes out as damp when I try to mine it. I shut off the floodgate at the moment.

Also, a child was found with his body drained of blood. My first vampire, yay! Would it be illogical to suspect the mayor, which is associated with EVERY CIV EVER.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: June 03, 2013, 07:50:12 am »

that would not be illogical. And yes, a tile shows as damp when there is water on the other side. It still stops the water. Also, aquifers are worth a special mention

Next time, when you want an answer on something like "will my well flood", we need to know what your design is. Where does the water come from? how does it get to the well? on which z-level is the water and which the well? stuff like that. Otherwise the answer is and always will be 'it depends'
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: June 03, 2013, 07:53:27 am »

that would not be illogical. And yes, a tile shows as damp when there is water on the other side. It still stops the water. Also, aquifers are worth a special mention

Next time, when you want an answer on something like "will my well flood", we need to know what your design is. Where does the water come from? how does it get to the well? on which z-level is the water and which the well? stuff like that. Otherwise the answer is and always will be 'it depends'

Ah, sorry.

Well, I'll get to it tomorrow and see if I can fix it. It's getting kinda late here.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: June 03, 2013, 04:14:28 pm »

I'm setting up a well, and i have two questions:

1. Will water rise up a well and flood the room it is in?
2. Will soil floors stop water?

1: It can do that if the source is higher than the well, yes.
2: No.

I would suggest placing a pressure plate somewhere in the well shaft linked to a floor hatch. If  water rises up, the plate triggers and seals the shaft before  your fortress is in danger.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: June 03, 2013, 05:41:53 pm »

According to my back-of-the-envelope calculations, it appears to take 33 ingots of Adamantine to outfit one Dwarf in Breastplate, Mail Shirt, Helmet, Greaves, Gauntlets, High Boots and Shield.

Would it make any difference (other than weight) if some other material (eg: Featherwood) were used for the Shield? What about some of the other armor pieces? I assume that the Breastplate and Helmet are the most vital to make from Adamantine.

How many Adamantine Ingots are required for a BattleAxe?
Never pet a burning dog.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: June 03, 2013, 09:37:07 pm »

It's 3x the material size, whatever that is, I think.  And you're right in that wood is just as good for a shield: I'd never waste adamantine on one.  There's a question of whether a wooden shield protects against dragonfire, but I'm pretty sure it does.  The only drawback to a wooden shield is reduced bash damage, but you'd be taking that for an adamantine shield too.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: June 03, 2013, 09:58:50 pm »

It's 3x the material size, whatever that is, I think.

Oh, God... I hope not.

I think it requires a number of Adamantine ingots EQUAL TO the item's material size... which (on average) is about 3x the number of Metal Bars that the same task would require.
Never pet a burning dog.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: June 03, 2013, 10:16:29 pm »

Maybe that's it.  I'm almost certain it's 3x the number of metal bars you would have had to use instead, whatever that works out to.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: June 03, 2013, 10:27:41 pm »

ingots?  whatever happened to wafers?  I would also prefer adamantine mail shirt and steel breastplate over the other way around.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: June 03, 2013, 10:46:20 pm »

ingots?  whatever happened to wafers?  I would also prefer adamantine mail shirt and steel breastplate over the other way around.

Adamantine Wafers sounds like a party snack.

Any specific reason that you'd prefer Adamantine Mail Shirt and Steel Breastplate rather than the reverse? It would be heavier, but I suppose it would cover more of the wearer (upper arms) and would use less Adamantine.
Never pet a burning dog.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: June 04, 2013, 12:13:56 am »

Will surface plants grow on tiles of exposed, muddied rock?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: June 04, 2013, 01:44:36 am »

Will surface plants grow on tiles of exposed, muddied rock?

Yes, if "exposed" means "outdoors".
Never pet a burning dog.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: June 04, 2013, 03:50:54 am »

once exposed to sunlight, always exposed

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: June 05, 2013, 09:59:59 am »

I've embarked on a half neutral, half evil biome. I killed an undead eagle on the neutral biome and it didn't come back to life, if I were to kill one on the evil part, would it come back again? Also, is it possible for evil rains and mists to appear on such an embark?
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 422