Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879715 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4560 on: May 09, 2013, 09:30:05 am »

Mostly, yes. There are different kinds of evil regions, which should affect mostly the wildlife you'll encounter, but the evil weather and similar effects are pretty unpredictable.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: May 09, 2013, 12:55:45 pm »

Does a constructed fortification prevent the transformation of water to an ice wall, in an outdoor freezing tile?

I'm looking for a way to feed water into a freeze trap without ice clogging up the plumbing.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: May 11, 2013, 01:30:49 am »

Question regarding world Ages: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Calendar#Ages do animated creatures count the same way as vampires, werebeasts, necromancers and megabeasts?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: May 11, 2013, 06:51:00 pm »

How do I create stuff on the level with the Magma Flow? I've managed to cast my way down there pretty easily (make an inverted pyramid by filling the work area with shallow water and digging stairs downward), but I want my meeting area on the very lowest level of the magma sea.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: May 14, 2013, 09:16:18 pm »

How do I create stuff on the level with the Magma Flow? I've managed to cast my way down there pretty easily (make an inverted pyramid by filling the work area with shallow water and digging stairs downward), but I want my meeting area on the very lowest level of the magma sea.
I can't find it at the moment, but there was a thread about mining out slade from below that may help you.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:17 pm »

Going up through the unrevealed tiles of the SMR would provide some excellent drainage, though getting beneath the SMR and securing a work area is not an easy task.

I got enough obsidian cast to form a curtain / shell of water around the area I want put the walls, but there isn't enough water to form the complete barrier I wanted. The placement is also pretty bad for magma work -- there are three layers of magma, and the work area is in the portion of the site that generates magma for the magma pool. But the idea of building down to the SMR came after the idea of having an above-ground meeting area in the magma, and I didn't know the details of how a magma pool refills (the whole embark tile bubbles up magma).

Looking at the wiki page for SMR right now, it seems to have the answer. Either it was updated since the last time I looked, or that part didn't register.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: May 15, 2013, 01:31:44 am »

I got a strange mood in one of my dwarfs, a secretive mood to be exact. He's demanding stone and cloth, and there's already stone and cloth in the workshop he claimed. Is there a way to give him the items he needs?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: May 15, 2013, 01:46:46 am »

I got a strange mood in one of my dwarfs, a secretive mood to be exact. He's demanding stone and cloth, and there's already stone and cloth in the workshop he claimed. Is there a way to give him the items he needs?

He probably wants a different kind of cloth than you have available.  Try to secure wool, plant, and silk cloth.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

firsal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: May 15, 2013, 01:48:04 am »

He probably wants a different kind of cloth than you have available.  Try to secure wool, plant, and silk cloth.

Shoot. We have wool, plant but no silk. And he was our best mason.  :'(

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: May 15, 2013, 02:02:13 am »

You can find silk in the caverns easily enough.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

firsal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: May 15, 2013, 03:18:51 am »

I just started the fort, and I am in no way to prepared to access the caverns.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: May 15, 2013, 03:59:26 am »

I just started the fort, and I am in no way to prepared to access the caverns.

The caverns aren't so bad.  Just be ready to seal them if you need to.

Tall Smiles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: May 16, 2013, 09:44:22 am »

Beginner question: I've recently started and noticed that some events are being logged in to gamelog.txt but not displayed as alerts or w\e (e.g., "The flying {birchen bolt} strikes The Duck in the left lower leg, fracturing the bone!"). Is there a way to see these messages in-game? I don't want to miss on anything when serious fights happen in the future.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: May 16, 2013, 09:46:05 am »

Beginner question: I've recently started and noticed that some events are being logged in to gamelog.txt but not displayed as alerts or w\e (e.g., "The flying {birchen bolt} strikes The Duck in the left lower leg, fracturing the bone!"). Is there a way to see these messages in-game? I don't want to miss on anything when serious fights happen in the future.

It could be he/she's just hunting. Usually your dwarves don't go out of the way to kill ducks unless they stole their booze.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: May 16, 2013, 10:01:01 am »

Things like that should show up in the combat reports.  Just hit the 'r' key to bring them up.  You'll know if you have new combat reports by a red 'R' in the upper left corner of the screen.  Sparring has a blue 'S', and hunting is a green 'H' I think.

This does indeed look like a hunting trip, so you'll likely see something like "Urist McHunter is hunting" in that list.  Hitting enter with that selected will show the actual shooting of bolts and bone smashing / nausea induced gut tearing that fills hunting reports.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 422