Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879775 times)

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4530 on: May 04, 2013, 08:03:54 am »

Why do my dorfs let the rotting bull corpse rot in the dining room? The corpse is not forbidden. I have enough space outside on my refuse stockpile. I don't see what the problem is.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: May 04, 2013, 08:25:36 am »

Do you have a bunch of 'idle' dwarfs with refuse hauling active? I often end up waiting forever for single important jobs to finally take, just because everyone's overworked.

If they're just lazing about and not touching the thing, i could think of two possible reasons: if the dining room is 'aboveground', the 'dwarves collect refuse from outside' must be set or they won't move it. If you're seeing miasma, though, that can't be it, because miasma only develops underground.

Was it the pet of some dwarf or had you put its petting status to 'allowed'? In that case, it won't go to the refuse, but rather to a 'corpse' stockpile. Yes, that also holds for strays with 'allowed' status, the burial code checks the wrong flag.

If none of those are the case, your beards are just lazy. You could try ordering the corpse 'd'umped and hope they get the hint.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: May 04, 2013, 01:04:50 pm »

Silly mistake. Had them still assigned to a burrow (emergency)
Everythings fine now.
Next problem:
I have caught some evil creatures in cages and they atm they are at the animal stockpile, next to the animal stockpile is the pit where i dump them. Now I want to empty some cages therefore I'd like to dump all of these into the pit.
The problem is they will try to escape. due to an accident one of these creatures erased half of my fortress.
I wanted to make sure that everything is secure and build the cage of one of these directly in front of the pit . The problem is that they all are the same species "Drider" with no special name. So when I try to dump the one directly in front of the pit, how can I make sure it's him when I assign him to be pitted?
They all got the same name. When my dorfs get one from back of the room we are in trouble.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: May 04, 2013, 04:57:59 pm »

AFAIK, all work exemptions are broken.
Just saw her doing something, turns out she's a lazy butthole after all.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: May 05, 2013, 03:18:51 am »

how can i equip a quiver in the military equipment screen?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: May 05, 2013, 04:24:07 am »

how can i equip a quiver in the military equipment screen?

they should do so automatically if there is one available and they're assigned a crossbow/ranged weapon and bolts/arrows/whatevers
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: May 05, 2013, 11:00:54 am »

What effects the types of pets brought by the elven caravan? Is it calculated based on the elven settlements surroundings or yours?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: May 05, 2013, 03:02:30 pm »

the elven settlement surroundings. On the other hand, the traders will be from the closest settlement, which has a pretty good chance to be near similar biomes
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

oxiboost

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: May 05, 2013, 08:47:10 pm »

I have a question. One of my bonecrafters got a strange mood and crafted a bone warhammer. I want this equipped to my hammerer/sheriff, so that he can give beatings without killing off dwarves. How do I equip this artifact to my dwarf? Does he absolutely have to be in a military squad?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: May 05, 2013, 08:54:31 pm »

No, the hammerer has his/her own squad, I'm pretty sure. Just open up his/her squad and use the equipment screen there.

oxiboost

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: May 05, 2013, 09:00:45 pm »

No, the hammerer has his/her own squad, I'm pretty sure. Just open up his/her squad and use the equipment screen there.
Well then, I'm lost. The only squad I see in the military menu is the one I created with my militia commander (he's the only one in the squad.)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: May 05, 2013, 10:55:07 pm »

I have a Legendary bone Carver who just took over a Craftdwarf workshop.

I have no active burrows.

He is sketching:
    shining bars of metal,
    skeletons,
    a quarry,
    rough gems,
    cut gems,
    shining bars of metal,
    a quarry
   repeat

He's got a stack of bones... but nothing else so far.  I have pleny of everything, include brass bars(his favorite).
He also likes resin opals... but I have none of those.

Any ideas?
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: May 05, 2013, 11:00:26 pm »

Nevermind... On a whim I slaughtered a couple animals, in case my Bone Carver wanted a fresh skeleton.  That seemed to do the trick.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: May 06, 2013, 12:33:12 am »

Well then, I'm lost. The only squad I see in the military menu is the one I created with my militia commander (he's the only one in the squad.)

Have you appointed a hammerer or captain of the guard yet?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: May 06, 2013, 03:08:42 am »

Nevermind... On a whim I slaughtered a couple animals, in case my Bone Carver wanted a fresh skeleton.  That seemed to do the trick.

important note there is that they'll want 2 of something sometimes. not 2 bones, but 2 stack of bones. So yeah, the advice would have been to slaughter another animal
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 422