Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879796 times)

3iff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4515 on: May 02, 2013, 10:29:56 am »

It did say which sort of cloth...silk I think...but I can't quite remember which. I'm certain I had all types available. Next time it happens I'll document everything if I have problems.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: May 02, 2013, 10:30:54 am »

How do I see which of my soldies wears which specific item if i set their equipment to individual choice, melee?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: May 02, 2013, 10:35:09 am »

You can browse what the soldiers are actually assigned on one of the subscreens on the military menu (the keypresses escape my mind at the moment, but I want to say (military - equip - Priorities and assignments?)  )  Sorry, someone will know. 

Or you can zoom to the location of any specific item from the stocks - tab to details view if your stocks are up to date.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: May 02, 2013, 11:07:12 am »

Nice. Thank you :)!
I wonder why my macedwarf chooses a wolfram crossbow over one of the several maces in my stocks ...

Edit:
I got a well. Why do the dorfs still complain that there is no well?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 11:42:57 am by Fantersam »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: May 02, 2013, 12:23:26 pm »

Is it active?  Does it have water in it?  I believe I've also read that placing a water source activity zone over a well will make dwarves complain that there is no well.  If you put one there, remove it, since it's unnecessary and causes problems.

Is "going insane because of being locked in" behaviour unique to traders? I got some kobolds secured between drawbridges, any chance they'll die of thirst/hunger/loneliness? Most of them are bowmen, so I'd rather avoid putting my military on the line.

I believe this is only for traders, yes.  I also believe they can't starve or thirst to death.  So far as I know, only traders go nuts if trapped, and only members of your fort can starve to death.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: May 02, 2013, 12:59:08 pm »

How do I see which of my soldies wears which specific item if i set their equipment to individual choice, melee?

'v'iew the unit, check their 'i'nventory. This is the only way to see what the dwarf is actually using. Equipment lists tick off items as they're 'assigned' to an individual, regardless of whether or not the item is actually put to use. As far as i know, dwarfs will pick the most valuable (in dwarfbucks) weapon in their highest-skilled weapon group. If they have no weapon skills yet, they usually pick up axes, because with everything else being equal, those are the most expensive weapons.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: May 02, 2013, 04:12:40 pm »

thanks guys. but I actually have no water place zone over the well and theres water under it. everythings fine.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: May 02, 2013, 04:42:13 pm »

Will giving robes / hoods METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS stop ones made out of candy from rotting?
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: May 02, 2013, 05:13:18 pm »

I forget what the token is exactly, but whatever token makes clothing count as armor will indeed prevent it from wearing.  It will also prevent civilians from ever equipping it, as far as I know.

I think the tag is [ARMORLEVEL], but it's been a while since I've looked at it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: May 02, 2013, 07:54:08 pm »

I believe I've also read that placing a water source activity zone over a well will make dwarves complain that there is no well.
Indirectly. The thought for a lack of wells is more of a thought for a lack of available wells. If dwarves have no water source other than a well, they'll have to wait for the well to free up. If the dwarves have both a well and open water, they can use the open water while the well is engaged (or maybe even when it's not, if wells have no priority over open water). Then they'll get a negative thought, because they didn't use the well.

An open water source is useful for bucket brigades though, as every dwarf can get a bucket and scoop it full instead of waiting for a well. Open water can also handle more dwarves, even if they do complain about it afterwards.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: May 02, 2013, 08:40:57 pm »

I think the tag is [ARMORLEVEL], but it's been a while since I've looked at it.
Guess i'll do a bit of testing. I know ARMORLEVEL:1 will stop rot, but keep you from using cloth to make the item. METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS seems like If made of metal, armorlevel++, but I dunno if candy cloth gets counted as metal.
Time for some testing, I'll be back.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

3iff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: May 03, 2013, 02:34:58 am »

Managed to work out how to train the rattlesnake and he was soon dispatched by the butcher, as was a weasel and a soon-to-be collection of wild boar.

Now, I have a couple of large pastures and a collection of various animals who insist on fighting. I'm sure it's because they feel overcrowded so I have killed off the large single creatures and I'm aiming for a more limited set of animals...I have a few cattle now (plus a couple of calves) and two (both female!) llamas and one sheep for wool.

Any tips on keeping them safe and non-fighting?

I also have 6+ dogs roaming around the place but they're not a problem.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: May 03, 2013, 03:06:58 am »

multiple pastures. Seperate them at least by species for reasons of easy identification, plus, unless you eliminated grazer tags, you'll need to spread them out manually to prevent starvation in the end, since the animals themself won't usually spread out
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: May 04, 2013, 04:51:30 am »

The work exemption for nobles is broken, making them do jobs and be useful. Is the work exemption token for nobles' spouses functioning, or is my most skilled mechanic being a lazy butthole for some other reason?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: May 04, 2013, 05:07:51 am »

AFAIK, all work exemptions are broken. The consorts of my nobles are all very busy people, typically legendary in some useful line of work.

Jobs are first-come-first-served, so it might be other dwarfs keep nabbing your mechanic's jobs. If you want them to actually do something, disable interfering jobs (hauling) and set a workshop's profile to only allow this dwarf. And wait 'til they're done eating, drinking, partying, sleeping, going on break and going to individual combat drills...
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 422