Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879852 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4470 on: April 28, 2013, 04:29:34 pm »

Did the accident happen on a ramp?
It may well have. The view centered around an area with a ramp, and the bloody smears were a short distance from one.

Could a strange mood have caused the cart to be released, crushing poor Urist mcDimwit?
Nothing so exotic. Ramps work oddly in DF, though unlike impulse ramps this particular oddity is hard to study.

What I think may be happening is that the minecart drops from one level to another instead of 'rolling', doing all the damage that a dropped object would do. But that's just a guess, and doesn't say much about why it happens and why it doesn't happen more often.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

duskhorizon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: April 29, 2013, 04:24:49 am »

I have way too many children in my fort, one of most popular solution for this is killing children by using atom smasher or water/magma.. i tried to use my atom smasher but it was a pain.

1st - kids didn't want to come to burrow, after 1 month i had like 10 inside from 90 children overall
2nd - killing with atom smasher led me to small tantrum spiral

Is there any way to kill kids without witnesses and bad toughs?

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: April 29, 2013, 04:28:09 am »

@Duskhorizon: I don't know about that but something you might want to do in future forts is changing the init file to minimize the number of children born. I think it's set to 100 by default, easy to change is to a smaller number, or a set percentage of your number of dwarves.

On my own question:
I've been experimenting a bit with different mineral settings at world gen. It seems to be a bit off though when choosing the 'everywhere' setting.
The minerals are always there, but it seems to go at the cost of flux stone. It seems like any time I choose to have metals everywhere there's no flux to be found anywhere on the map.

I've been using the 'frequent' setting for the metal ores and it seems to produce an adequate number of embark sites in practice, but I was just wondering if this was a feature or all just in my head?

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: April 29, 2013, 04:31:15 am »

I have way too many children in my fort, one of most popular solution for this is killing children by using atom smasher or water/magma.. i tried to use my atom smasher but it was a pain.

Children will go to the burrow if there is a job for them there. Since they are children, the only jobs they will take are 'eat', 'drink' and 'sleep' (as well as 'attend party', if you allow that kind of thing). In my fort, I have a burrow with dining / sleeping / eating / drinking facilities, airlock sealed from the rest of the fort. All my children are burrowed there. It took a little while for all of them to go in, but there's nothing like thirst to encourage a dwarven child to head over. (Of course, you could flood the burrow once you've got them in there...)

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: April 29, 2013, 04:45:17 am »

only if children are killed in complete solitute, no witnesses at all, not even eachother, do they not create an unhappy thought or at least not a big one, though I think you need to make sure the ghost doesn't show up. As mentioned by someone earlier, it's easier to change the child cap in the d_init

another note on burrows, in case it wasn't completely clear: regular burrows do not force anyone to stay within that burrow, so it doesn't make them stand there, it won't make dwarfs walk a certain path or stop them from going into hazardous terrain

@Drecon:
On what do you base the 'no-flux' statement? going over the world, using dfhack prospect all before embark or the site finder? I usually play with low mineral scarcity and havn't had too much trouble finding flux just by picking areas likely to have sediment layers (it's realistic like that). It's just that the site finder has some problems with it, so even if it says there is non, doesn't make it true
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

duskhorizon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: April 29, 2013, 04:48:39 am »

Children will go to the burrow if there is a job for them there. Since they are children, the only jobs they will take are 'eat', 'drink' and 'sleep' (as well as 'attend party', if you allow that kind of thing). In my fort, I have a burrow with dining / sleeping / eating / drinking facilities, airlock sealed from the rest of the fort. All my children are burrowed there. It took a little while for all of them to go in, but there's nothing like thirst to encourage a dwarven child to head over. (Of course, you could flood the burrow once you've got them in there...)

How about LOTS of those error messages you will get when you will put children in burrow?

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: April 29, 2013, 05:12:02 am »

I really didn't get very many at all - they can only really spam an error message if they're unable to put down a barrel of drink / put an empty barrel in a stockpile. Even with 100 children, only about 8 were drinking when I burrowed them all. Sure, locking the doors before some had made it gave me various 'so&so has cancelled eat: cannot reach location' or whatever the message is. But that's a good thing: it means they were headed to the burrow. :)

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: April 29, 2013, 06:16:48 am »

@Drecon:
On what do you base the 'no-flux' statement? going over the world, using dfhack prospect all before embark or the site finder? I usually play with low mineral scarcity and havn't had too much trouble finding flux just by picking areas likely to have sediment layers (it's realistic like that). It's just that the site finder has some problems with it, so even if it says there is non, doesn't make it true

Aha! I was wondering about that.

I got it out of site finder. Next time I'll check one of the sites that doesn't claim to have flux and check it thoroughly. Thanks for the answer.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: April 29, 2013, 10:10:24 am »

Alright, another one that I've been wondering about for a while now:

Once you've generated a world and first enter the screen to choose a site, there is always one selected. Is this site completely randomized or are there certain constraints to it? I've noticed they often have rivers and at least some amount of ore.

I'm asking this mostly because I like the idea of embarking on a completely random site and making the best of it. I'd like to know though if these locations are random or just semi-random.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: April 29, 2013, 01:02:45 pm »

my dorfs put their squad equipment beneath the chests in the barracks. why dont they put it in the chests?

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: April 29, 2013, 01:07:56 pm »

Do i have to assign every single item in my room for my mayor?
He has an armor stand a cabinet and so on. Will he use the cabinet if it's in a room designated for him?

also why does nobody from my squads use the chests in the barracks? they still put their stuff on the ground

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: April 29, 2013, 01:45:02 pm »

You only need to designate one piece of furniture for the mayor, and set the room size large enough to encompass the other pieces.  In fact, designating them all is counter productive since it will make the game believe there are several overlapping "rooms" and thus decrease the value of all of them.  Just designate the chair in his or her office as a study and make the room large enough.  He or she should use any cabinets in rooms that belong to him or her.

Chests don't really do anything in the current version of the game, aside from hospital chests.  In older versions of the game when the economy existed, supposedly dwarves would buy things and stow them away in their chests, but now they don't do that and chests are just for raising room value and meeting noble requirements.  I'm not sure if they've ever done anything in barracks.

If you're worried about soldiers storing their equipment, don't.  Just let them wear their armor all of the time, there's little reason not to.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: April 29, 2013, 01:55:35 pm »

But my mayor complains about the lack of barracks and quarters when I only designate him the office. (It's all in the same room)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: April 29, 2013, 02:51:08 pm »

I don't think a mayor needs barracks does he?

anyway, yes, office, dining room and bedroom all need to be set from one piece. The confusion was probably that while you need to set for example a dining hall from a table, you don't need to do the same for every table in the dining hall, nor set every bed in a dormitory as a dormitory. Also important to restate from a previous post, setting multiple rooms to share the same space can drastically decrease the room value as they have to share the same value items, which may make someone complain that the rooms are not good enough

a last note about barracks and equipment, currently the storing of equipment on weapon racks and armor stands doesn't work. Furthermore, putting on armor is a hit-and-miss process that is also grueling slow. When the morons finally get all the bits and pieces collected and put on, the last thing you want is for them to take it off and store it away when going off-duty
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: April 29, 2013, 02:57:03 pm »

Probably meant armor stand and weapon rack?  If you've got a problem with that, just make sure you've built a weapon rack and armor stand inside the area designated by any of the mayor's rooms.  So you can put them inside his bedroom, office or dining room.  You don't need to designate the weapon rack and armor stand as anything once you do, though.  Doing so will cause problems, as I mentioned before.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 422