Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879865 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4440 on: April 25, 2013, 05:01:51 pm »

does forbidding an item worn and owned by a dwarf make him drop it? if not, I/you could forbid all clothing worn by your dwarves, then it would show up differently in the expanded stocks menu if the bookkeeper is set to a high enough accuracy
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: April 25, 2013, 05:32:51 pm »

I can't seem to find any entry on the wiki for phases of the moon. Since my current fortress is intermittently harassed by werebeasts, this is a nuisance.

-Where do I look to find out what the current phase of the moon is in fort mode?

-Does the full moon occur at the same time every month? (As in, if it is full on the 16th of the month, it will be full on the 16th of every month)

-Are werebeasts guaranteed to walk onto the map if available to do so, or will they give me a miss more often than not?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: April 25, 2013, 06:29:44 pm »

I can't seem to find any entry on the wiki for phases of the moon. Since my current fortress is intermittently harassed by werebeasts, this is a nuisance.

-Where do I look to find out what the current phase of the moon is in fort mode?
The top right tile, above the z-level indicator shows the moon phase.

-Does the full moon occur at the same time every month? (As in, if it is full on the 16th of the month, it will be full on the 16th of every month)
I think so, but I'm not sure.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

duskhorizon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: April 26, 2013, 03:46:50 am »

Hey guys. I have been constructing my 1st fortress by playing step by step with cptnduck's famous 2012 tutorial more or less ;) I have filled my moat with water and that made significant fps drop I guess it's normal when you messing with rivers. Fps were not so bad when i closed my both floodgates but i lost one of them during siege and now i can't stop water flow and that make game less enjoyable. Here is how it looks :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can i do anything about it now? River is actually a brook if that matters...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:39:06 am by duskhorizon »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: April 26, 2013, 06:21:59 am »

Hey guys. I have been constructing my 1st fortress by playing step by step with cptnduck's famous 2012 tutorial more or less ;) I have filled my moat with water and that made significant fps drop I guess it's normal when you messing with rivers. Fps were not so bad when i closed my both floodgates but i lost one of them during siege and now i can't stop water flow and that make game less enjoyable. Here is how it looks :

You should spoiler that for the internet handicapped.
You may be able to fix it with obsidianising with liberal application of lava.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:25:12 am by Edmus »

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: April 26, 2013, 06:27:42 am »

The top right tile, above the z-level indicator shows the moon phase.

Thanks for that, I've been wondering what the hell that thing means for months (and never got around to just asking, of course).
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

Vaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: April 26, 2013, 12:29:48 pm »

I always seem to have a problem with digging stairways up.  I have dug out up stairs, and right above them put down/up stairs.  Nothing.  The dwarves refuse to dig them out.  Replace the down/up stairs with pure down stairs, still nothing.  Tried adding a ramp in going up, still nothing.  What am I missing here?

*Note* No I am not accidentally trying to build the downstairs a z-level below the upstairs.  I made that mistake at first and corrected it.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: April 26, 2013, 12:47:51 pm »

I always seem to have a problem with digging stairways up.  I have dug out up stairs, and right above them put down/up stairs.  Nothing.  The dwarves refuse to dig them out.  Replace the down/up stairs with pure down stairs, still nothing.  Tried adding a ramp in going up, still nothing.  What am I missing here?

*Note* No I am not accidentally trying to build the downstairs a z-level below the upstairs.  I made that mistake at first and corrected it.
Is there any surrounding open space around the upstair, or is it walled in?
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

Vaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: April 26, 2013, 12:54:50 pm »

I have a one tile dug out perimeter around it.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: April 26, 2013, 01:16:54 pm »

Pumps and walls.

Set up pumps around the junction with the brook, ideally attached to a water wheel driven by the brook so they aren't interrupted.
This will pump a hole in the water, so someone can go in and build a wall.

In future, NEVER hook anything directly to a river. Pump the water in.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:20:14 pm by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: April 26, 2013, 03:51:03 pm »

1 A mandate requires walruss dolls, how can I specifically make walruss dolls?
2 I have bought rope reed seeds but when I go to my plot there is no rope reed in the selection of choosing which seeds to farm
3 I have lots of random armor from prisoners and sieges. How can I tell my military to just wear the best they can find instead of assigning some stuff to every one of them? How can I save time?
4 Is it possible to lock a captured creature on chains in my barracks to kill them ?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: April 26, 2013, 03:55:54 pm »

1 A mandate requires walruss dolls, how can I specifically make walruss dolls?
2 I have bought rope reed seeds but when I go to my plot there is no rope reed in the selection of choosing which seeds to farm
3 I have lots of random armor from prisoners and sieges. How can I tell my military to just wear the best they can find instead of assigning some stuff to every one of them? How can I save time?
4 Is it possible to lock a captured creature on chains in my barracks to kill them ?

1. Is this vanilla .34.11 or some mod?  I admit I haven't played vanilla in a long time, but I don't recall dolls even being in the game.  I'd start by checking if dolls of any kind are available from the manager interface.

2. Are you trying to plant them above ground?  Rope reeds aren't a subterranean plant.  If so, are you in a mountain or ocean biome?  I believe you can't plant anything above ground in those biomes.

3. Just assign items like "breastplate" or "high boot" on the equipment screen.  The soldiers will automatically pick up the best (most valuable) stuff.

4. I'm not positive, since it's been a long time.  Caging works, but I don't know how chaining works for hostiles.  In either case, be careful when attempting this with thieves, since they will escape and cause problems.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Vaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: April 26, 2013, 04:00:44 pm »

I have a one tile dug out perimeter around it.

And that is the problem =(  Built an up stair in the wall two tiles away and it worked fine.
Odd that that would prevent the upper level from being dug out.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: April 26, 2013, 04:33:19 pm »

1 Yeah I think these belong to Masterworks. I never know what belongs to vanilla and what to Masterworks

2 Oh. I didn't knew they only grow above . sorry :D

3 okay thanks.

Thanks for the quick answers.

Other suggestions?

Edit: When I choose Individual choice, weapon for a squad member. Will he specialize on on type of weapon? for example he has got a copper battle axe. Now I create a adamantine one, will he change automatically to the better one?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:54:42 pm by Fantersam »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: April 26, 2013, 05:56:57 pm »

Edit: When I choose Individual choice, weapon for a squad member. Will he specialize on on type of weapon? for example he has got a copper battle axe. Now I create a adamantine one, will he change automatically to the better one?

It's complicated, but possibly.  From what I've read, dwarves will prefer weapons matching their highest weapon skill.  However, there is a priority on grabbing new items, so the squad leader might grab the axe first, even if he's better at using a sword.

If you've got enough to go around, then yeah, they'll all automatically grab the better weapons.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 422