Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879928 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4380 on: April 19, 2013, 09:42:22 am »

xclothesx will make them unhappy,

I'm pretty sure first-level wear (xclothesx) does not generate unhappy thoughts, but second-level wear (XclothesX) does.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: April 19, 2013, 03:53:01 pm »

Couple of quick questions...

Does walling off an area prevent pathfinding into that area? Say I breach the caverns and then build a wall to block off access, or dig out a vein and wall that, does that help fps issues with pathfinding at all?

Do seigers/ ambushers to your fort ever wear any armor besides a torso piece and helmet?

What determines the thickness/ protective qualities of clothing or armor? Any difference between a dress and robe? Or a leather coat or leather armor?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: April 19, 2013, 04:03:12 pm »

Does walling off an area prevent pathfinding into that area? Say I breach the caverns and then build a wall to block off access, or dig out a vein and wall that, does that help fps issues with pathfinding at all?

Yes, there's some connectivity map or something so it can confirm that a path exists before actually attempting to path.  Same with locked doors.  There are a couple cases where a non-dwarf (pet, invader, wild animal, HFS) tries to path where it shouldn't and causes FPS problems, but I can't recall all of them here.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: April 20, 2013, 07:18:25 am »

Hi,
i'm playing DF, and somehow dwarves got stuck - they refuse to use stairs: 2 of my dwarves are stuck outside, the rest - in the dungeons. i've set wood hauling for everyone, there is a lot of logs laying outside, but they are not bringing these into the dungeon. any idea what should i check?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: April 20, 2013, 07:19:27 am »

Did you remove ramps? As that also removes part of your stairs if you're not careful.

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: April 20, 2013, 07:22:26 am »

Did you remove ramps? As that also removes part of your stairs if you're not careful.

No, i've done nothing with the stairs

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: April 20, 2013, 07:42:32 am »

problem solved - i've drilled another way up with upward ramp (as in http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/65493/how-to-dig-up-through-a-level-surface) and dwarves started running outside and back. still no idea why they ignored the stairs, though

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: April 20, 2013, 08:48:20 am »

Stairs have to be built/dug, and properly connected, on at least two neighboring Z-levels.  If you're trying to make stairs from the surface down into your underground fortress, then normally what you do is dig a Down staircase on the surface, and then dig one or more Up/Down staircases directly below that.

If there is empty space underneath the Down stairs, then you can construct (instead of digging) an Up/Down staircase in the space.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: April 20, 2013, 03:13:13 pm »

. still no idea why they ignored the stairs, though

as said, you broke the stairs. Doesn't matter how. If they didn't use the stairs, you made a new connection and they are using that, the problem is in the stairs. Most likely, when you look at the levels with the problem either the lower one will not have up stairs or the higher one will be missing down stairs. If you use ramps the possibilities how to do things wrong increases
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: April 20, 2013, 05:58:39 pm »

1. Are there any reasons to choose one parent civilization over others, except for the awesomeness of it's name? Does it matter how far or big they are? Not to my knowledge, but maybe I'm missing something.
2. I want to see a goblin caravan. Can I look for a goblin-friendly civilization some way, or do I just have to be very lucky?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: April 20, 2013, 06:01:09 pm »

1. Some civs may be at war with elves or humans, but other than that, no.

2. That would require modding.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: April 20, 2013, 06:26:33 pm »

1. Your parent civilization also determines what items you can make.   Some may not have access to high boots, for example.

2. I've read but never seen that sometimes you can embark during a period where goblins are at peace with your civilization.  If that's the case they wouldn't send invaders, and would send a caravan in the winter.  Supposedly these periods of peace don't last very long because goblins are child snatchers, so odds are low you'd embark during such a period if they happen during worldgen.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: April 20, 2013, 10:51:00 pm »

ambushes and sieges and snatchers show up regardless of status. I've embarked a lot of times that my civ was 'at peace' with goblins, but I never saw a caravan
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: April 20, 2013, 11:24:34 pm »

Yeah, it's theoretically possible to be at peace with the goblins, it's just not very likely. The only time I ever saw it happen was in a "dawn of the world" embark, which started out in year 1. Not sure if the date was related or if it was just coincidence.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: April 21, 2013, 01:00:58 am »

I want to say in 40d or before peace with the goblins was pretty common for me.

I seem to even remember them sending caravans.
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 422