Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879994 times)

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4365 on: April 18, 2013, 07:16:00 am »

The pit is near my corpse stockpile.
If I make my pit zone a dump zone too and choose some body parts for dumping they will throw it in there right? That would be easier.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: April 18, 2013, 07:50:04 am »

They'll also throw everything else in there that you want dumped, though.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: April 18, 2013, 08:06:26 am »

I dont get them to dump the corpses in the pit. It's so frustrating.
I deleted all the other garbage dumps. Now they don't do anything with them.

Fantersam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: April 18, 2013, 08:16:31 am »

Figured it out now . I had do designate the area beside the pit also as a garbage dump.
Why is that?

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: April 18, 2013, 08:36:07 am »

Figured it out now . I had do designate the area beside the pit also as a garbage dump.
Why is that?

Pitting (and pit zones -'i' - 'p') is for live creatures. Dumping (and dump zones -'i' - 'g') is for garbage, which includes refuse such as corpses.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: April 18, 2013, 10:12:25 am »

for some reason it just works like that, that you set the tile next to the 'pit' to the garbage dump site and they throw it in. Probably among things to distinguish it from a pit designation
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

CrazyTreeBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: April 18, 2013, 01:54:54 pm »

Whelp, I've figured the game out enough with the wiki to get to the interesting questions, so.. here's a few I got:

- Got an artifact Platinum mail shirt.  I can't seem to find out how material affects the defensive properties of mail (Except that some light materials are apparently worse?) Worth equipping to somebody?

- Again, an artifact. This is an Iron Axe.  I've got limited steel supply, so I figure this is worth using, but I wanted to double check, in case there were some sort of issues with the guy using it dying or something. (Also, it menaces with spikes of sheep wool and rope reed fiber...I'm not sure a fluffy axe should be so dangerous)

- Had an.. accident with my first pump stack.  My manager managed to shut it down, but disappeared on the way back to the main gate and hasn't been seen for months.  Will he ever come back/be discovered?  I think he might have washed into the brook and off the map.

- Clothes are starting to wear out.  How do I make a stockpile for clothes that aren't armor, so  I can see what I have a shortage of? I have absolutely tons of cloth.

I hope this isn't too many things to ask! Thank you!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: April 18, 2013, 02:06:30 pm »

- Got an artifact Platinum mail shirt.  I can't seem to find out how material affects the defensive properties of mail (Except that some light materials are apparently worse?) Worth equipping to somebody?

It's going to be awfully heavy, which will slow the user down unless he's really strong and/or has really high Armor User skill.  Or at least that's my understanding.  Being slow in combat is really bad, because it decreases your attack rate, movement rate, etc.  The wearer will train more slowly, will take longer to get errands done (meaning less time spent training), and so on.

Sounds like something you'd want to put on a noble, maybe.

Again, an artifact. This is an Iron Axe.  I've got limited steel supply, so I figure this is worth using, but I wanted to double check, in case there were some sort of issues with the guy using it dying or something. (Also, it menaces with spikes of sheep wool and rope reed fiber...I'm not sure a fluffy axe should be so dangerous)

The decorations have no effect in combat as far as I know.  An artifact iron axe ought to be a reasonable weapon -- not as good as a masterpiece steel axe, perhaps, and definitely not as good as blue-metal, but certainly a useful, practical weapon.

Had an.. accident with my first pump stack.  My manager managed to shut it down, but disappeared on the way back to the main gate and hasn't been seen for months.  Will he ever come back/be discovered?  I think he might have washed into the brook and off the map.

I'd engrave a slab for him.  If you can't find him in the units list, I don't think he's coming back.

Clothes are starting to wear out.  How do I make a stockpile for clothes that aren't armor, so  I can see what I have a shortage of? I have absolutely tons of cloth.

Clothes are stored in Finished Goods stockpiles.  If you want to restrict the stockpile to clothing only, you can disable all but the following types: headwear, handwear, body armor, legwear, footwear.  You could also set up 5 separate stockpiles, one for each type, if you want.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: April 18, 2013, 02:31:29 pm »

Had an.. accident with my first pump stack.  My manager managed to shut it down, but disappeared on the way back to the main gate and hasn't been seen for months.  Will he ever come back/be discovered?  I think he might have washed into the brook and off the map.

I'd engrave a slab for him.  If you can't find him in the units list, I don't think he's coming back.
First of all units don't wash off the map, they'll just pile up against the edge in that case. And for finding the body you can look at the stocks screen and enlarge the list of corpses (you might need to train your record keeper to enable this if you have lots of bodies) and then find his corpse and zoom to it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: April 18, 2013, 03:12:29 pm »

if you have a bookkeeper set to sufficient precision, you'll get an accurate count of how many shirts shorts pants and socks (or whatever you want) you have. Don't panic if they are wearing x socks x, the bad thugh from it is minor compared to many others and you'll have plenty of time to make new ones, or collect them from dead goblins, buy them from elves or whatever your prefered method is

the platinum mail shirt isn't too great. platinum is not a weapon or armor grade metal, though it would work fine for hammers and maces and such, or as a heavy shield since quality is most important with shields. As armor it is unlikely to really have much stopping power and as mentioned may cause a significant slow-down in anyone using it. The iron axe is great. Yes, steel and the other stuff are better, but when fighting goblins you'll hardly notice any difference. The artifact has a better chance to hit, so might be better in any case.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: April 18, 2013, 04:16:11 pm »

- Had an.. accident with my first pump stack.  My manager managed to shut it down, but disappeared on the way back to the main gate and hasn't been seen for months.  Will he ever come back/be discovered?  I think he might have washed into the brook and off the map.

Does the river freeze in winter? If it does, he'll have been frozen in the ice and the corpse will have been hidden by the magic of freezing.
Look on the stocks menu, under corpses. Look for his name, and zoom to it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

CrazyTreeBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: April 18, 2013, 05:03:49 pm »

Well, he happened to be my bookkeeper, so I've just appointed a new one but it will be awhile as I have an absolute ton of prepared meals and brewed drinks.  The river *does* freeze though, so... I guess he's just gone.  Slab engraved and memorialized. That was easy.

Thanks muchly for the tips.  I intend to put the clothing management ones to use immediately, but it's nice to know that xClothingx is not gonna make anyone unhappy.  I'm really glad I asked you guys, especially concerning the platinum mail.  I almost just decided to throw it on my hammer squad captain and call it a day (If he ever bothered to put on armor).

Last bit: any advice on what the best thing to make out of my limited steel is? I was gonna go for helms since all 3 of my dead soldiers have been ultimately lost to headshots, though generally getting (weaponed) in the gut was what took them to the ground.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: April 18, 2013, 05:35:59 pm »

With limited steel, I'd use it for edged weapons (axes, swords) first.  Helms and mail shirts are also good choices, depending on how much you have.

Steel is mostly a waste for blunt weapons; you can use silver or copper or bronze for those and they do just about as well.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: April 19, 2013, 04:28:32 am »

xclothesx will make them unhappy, but in general you should have enough positives like their own nice bedrooms, statues to look at, great food etc that it won't matter

some on combat:
when a soldier is down and unconcious, every hit will be an automatic headshot with great accuracy. When you get to that point, a helmet isn't going to save you. Iron will do the job for most stuff, but where steel really beats iron is at cutting things, and protecting things. The next point is, what do you encounter more: iron weapons against you or iron armor? my experience with goblins is that they have a wide variety of weapons, but the armor tends to be mostly iron (at least after a while). If that is what you find too, a steel weapon to cut through iron armor is going to be a better help than a steel chain shirt, since iron stops copper fine, often. Also note that breastplates, while offering more protection, do so on a smaller area than a chain shirt. So getting a chain shirt on has greater priority than a breastplate in order to protect lower body, upper arms etc

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: April 19, 2013, 05:50:37 am »

Well, he happened to be my bookkeeper, so I've just appointed a new one but it will be awhile as I have an absolute ton of prepared meals and brewed drinks.  The river *does* freeze though, so... I guess he's just gone.  Slab engraved and memorialized. That was easy.

Thanks muchly for the tips.  I intend to put the clothing management ones to use immediately, but it's nice to know that xClothingx is not gonna make anyone unhappy.  I'm really glad I asked you guys, especially concerning the platinum mail.  I almost just decided to throw it on my hammer squad captain and call it a day (If he ever bothered to put on armor).

Last bit: any advice on what the best thing to make out of my limited steel is? I was gonna go for helms since all 3 of my dead soldiers have been ultimately lost to headshots, though generally getting (weaponed) in the gut was what took them to the ground.

He won't be completely gone; when it freezes, you can mount an expedition into the area his corpse is, mine it out, and haul it off for burial.
BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THAT, AND MAKE SURE THERE'S AN EASY ESCAPE ROUTE SHOULD EVERYTHING MELT SUDDENLY. Miners are valuable.

Minecart efficiency: Is it more efficient to have a longer route, or two shorter ones?
I have a set of carts to transport flux and ores to the smeltery down by the magma sea, but it's building up in the feeder stockpile. This is inefficient, and we cannot tolerate inefficiency!
I currently have two long routes to take everything down to the smelters, running near-constantly, but it's not happening very fast compared to the shorter route that feeds the feeder stockpile. (Which is needed to stop the haulers all rushing off to haul marble and letting the butcheries rot.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:54:25 am by Skorpion »

Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 422