Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879947 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4305 on: April 13, 2013, 04:02:00 am »

considering dwarf stupidity, it was just a matter of time
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: April 13, 2013, 02:15:44 pm »

But it's meant to pass through dwarves and things on the line in 'guide' mode. Argh!

Ack. I can't make soap, either, and have both lye and no end of cow tallow. On top of the no honey thing. Does the binary patch that fixes the teleporting materials bug and the caravans being mad at me also corrupt complex workshops?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:40:07 pm by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: April 13, 2013, 03:08:48 pm »

so, for whatever reason, the guide stopped guiding it for a second and it caused an injury? maybe he had to dodge swings from a tantruming dwarf or something, it's one of many options

what message do you get when you try to make soap? It would really help if you gave enough information for us to help you. There used to be a bug with lye in buckets that also contained water. Do you have certain stockpiles set to only give (or recieve) to certain other stockpiles or workshops? Do you have any burrows? Even inactive burrows can mess with workshops. Have you tried assigning the job order through the manager? Sometimes the issue that prevents you from setting the job at the workshop is solved by using the manager.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: April 13, 2013, 03:24:18 pm »

Can anyone tell me if wild animals still claim Nest Boxes in 34.11 ?

I stuffed two female and one male eagle into a 3*3 room with two Nest boxes, but they seem unwilling to claim them. I hoped to get a bunch of wild animals to power level my Animal trainer ... All other stuff I catch is either dead after a year or sentient ...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: April 13, 2013, 05:11:21 pm »

I don't know, but when did they actually claim the nest boxes when wild?

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: April 13, 2013, 06:16:46 pm »

I'm not sure, I found some bug reports related to that and threads from people complaining about Crundles raiding their Forts to claim unused Nest boxes. So I guessed that works ...

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: April 14, 2013, 01:54:11 am »

so, for whatever reason, the guide stopped guiding it for a second and it caused an injury? maybe he had to dodge swings from a tantruming dwarf or something, it's one of many options

what message do you get when you try to make soap? It would really help if you gave enough information for us to help you. There used to be a bug with lye in buckets that also contained water. Do you have certain stockpiles set to only give (or recieve) to certain other stockpiles or workshops? Do you have any burrows? Even inactive burrows can mess with workshops. Have you tried assigning the job order through the manager? Sometimes the issue that prevents you from setting the job at the workshop is solved by using the manager.

The job shows up as red, listing the required materials. I have burrows, but nobody's assigned to any of them.

EDIT:
Using the manager worked, but they still show up as red. Odd.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:00:20 am by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: April 14, 2013, 04:12:38 pm »

Were you making it with oil? Sometimes the workshops will freak out with things that involve jugs (such as the honey industry or the oil industry). As you've experienced ordering it from the manager will solve the problem.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: April 14, 2013, 05:40:48 pm »

The job shows up as red, listing the required materials. I have burrows, but nobody's assigned to any of them.

EDIT:

to restate it, even inactive burrows, that is, with noone assigned to them nor active as civ alert, will mess up many workshops. At least one burrow that overlaps your soap maker does not include all the components you need to make soap. Something similar happens with smelters that can't 'see' ores that are outside (unused) burrows, for example when there is no stone stockpile, the smelter would just have to grab the stone, but the burrow doesn't go down into the mining tunnels. The result is that the smelter workshop doesn't see them and they don't show as being available as a job, but assigning them through the manager, ignoring weird workshop stuff, works. It used to happen a lot, less now that hauling stones by hand is a lot slower.

I'm a bit sleepy right now, but basically, if a workshop is in anyway located in the area of a burrow, the materials required for the jobs it offers need to be within that burrow too, or you can't set the work through the workshop. It may not be an issue for all workshops, but known issues arise with smelters and it seems soap makers. It doesn't matter if the burrow is being used by anyone or anything, just its existence causes the problem.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:47:35 pm by Garath »

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: April 14, 2013, 07:58:51 pm »

my first dwarven caravan brought a stack of 10 "liquids(10)" in a barrel that does not fit into any stockpile category. Is this the result of raw duplication? the only modding i did was to creatures and the entity raw for world gen (mainly starting biomes and world constructions). I did not add any new creatures, only changed existing ones' stats around. I also did not touch items or reactions at all.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: April 14, 2013, 10:42:48 pm »

im planning to use a raising drawbridge as a defense mechanism for enemy sieges, but i dont seem to make it work, i've read the wiki and i know how to put it, i place it like this:

XXXXXXXXXXXX
OOOOOOOOOO
OO            OO
OO            OO
OOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXX

where X = walls and O= drawbridge, its set to raise, but when i put the lever, it only leaves a side of walls, there's still a part of the tunnel that is open and my dwarves cross it. i need to know what im doing wrong

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: April 15, 2013, 01:58:05 am »

my first dwarven caravan brought a stack of 10 "liquids(10)" in a barrel that does not fit into any stockpile category. Is this the result of raw duplication? the only modding i did was to creatures and the entity raw for world gen (mainly starting biomes and world constructions). I did not add any new creatures, only changed existing ones' stats around. I also did not touch items or reactions at all.
I'll restate my post for others who might find it here, but IIRC this happens when a civilization has access to a creature with an attack that can suck blood, or if you create a new extract/liquid and forget to name it while modding.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: April 15, 2013, 02:25:36 am »

when i put the lever, it only leaves a side of walls, there's still a part of the tunnel that is open and my dwarves cross it. i need to know what im doing wrong

Which direction are you setting it to raise? If you don't set a direction (and you haven't specified one), the bridge will retract (and disappear) rather than raise, and block passage. What is below the bridge? A channel?

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: April 15, 2013, 06:32:50 am »

Were you making it with oil? Sometimes the workshops will freak out with things that involve jugs (such as the honey industry or the oil industry). As you've experienced ordering it from the manager will solve the problem.

Tallow, because I have shittons of it and can't slaughter animals fast enough to control the population.

EDIT:

to restate it, even inactive burrows, that is, with noone assigned to them nor active as civ alert, will mess up many workshops. At least one burrow that overlaps your soap maker does not include all the components you need to make soap. Something similar happens with smelters that can't 'see' ores that are outside (unused) burrows, for example when there is no stone stockpile, the smelter would just have to grab the stone, but the burrow doesn't go down into the mining tunnels. The result is that the smelter workshop doesn't see them and they don't show as being available as a job, but assigning them through the manager, ignoring weird workshop stuff, works. It used to happen a lot, less now that hauling stones by hand is a lot slower.

I'm a bit sleepy right now, but basically, if a workshop is in anyway located in the area of a burrow, the materials required for the jobs it offers need to be within that burrow too, or you can't set the work through the workshop. It may not be an issue for all workshops, but known issues arise with smelters and it seems soap makers. It doesn't matter if the burrow is being used by anyone or anything, just its existence causes the problem.

Ahh, so having the burrow AT ALL interferes with workshops?

Time to go shrink the ones I use for bookmarks, I guess.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: April 15, 2013, 09:30:00 am »

when i put the lever, it only leaves a side of walls, there's still a part of the tunnel that is open and my dwarves cross it. i need to know what im doing wrong

Which direction are you setting it to raise? If you don't set a direction (and you haven't specified one), the bridge will retract (and disappear) rather than raise, and block passage. What is below the bridge? A channel?

the bridge is set to go up(w), so it becomes a wall, but no matter the size of it, it always ends like that, and no, i dont have a channel under it, its planned to be like a door.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 422