Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879965 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4275 on: April 04, 2013, 03:03:01 pm »

Tried using the manager, jobs cancelled: 'needs liquid container'.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: April 04, 2013, 04:10:04 pm »

Are the jugs clay? You may need to glaze them. Unglazed earthenware can't hold liquids.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: April 04, 2013, 04:17:20 pm »

That's definitely a possibility.  Or the ones you have could just all be full.  One frustrating thing about honey is that you'll end up with gobs of jugs filled with royal jelly, which you have to go through hoops to get rid of (or just sell the jugs).

Just make more jugs and try again.  If they're clay, do as zzedar said and glaze them.  Preferably, make them of something else.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: April 04, 2013, 04:39:57 pm »

One frustrating thing about honey is that you'll end up with gobs of jugs filled with royal jelly, which you have to go through hoops to get rid of (or just sell the jugs).
Hoops? It's edible. Just cook it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: April 04, 2013, 06:25:47 pm »

I haven't really tried in .34.11, but in .31.25 I couldn't convince my cooks to use it to save my life.  They'd go out of their way to avoid using it.  Or honey, for that matter.

It's all related to things being in containers, I'm sure.  Not putting other ingredients in barrels would probably make it easier to get cooks to use it, but again, I haven't tried that in the latest version.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: April 04, 2013, 06:36:04 pm »

Try it. Minecarts make it really easy.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: April 05, 2013, 04:38:54 am »

Does anyone know what is causing this message?

The dwarves were unable to complete the Wall.

My dwarves randomly cancel constructions. Walls, floors, workshops.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: April 05, 2013, 05:29:25 am »

There should be a more detailed reason under the list of announcements (accessed through 'a'). Hopefully that can point you in the right direction.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: April 05, 2013, 06:30:19 am »

There should be a more detailed reason under the list of announcements (accessed through 'a'). Hopefully that can point you in the right direction.

That's as detailed as it gets.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: April 05, 2013, 07:45:43 am »

Try looking at the line immediately above it, which should be in red and say something like 'Dwarf cancels construction: insert reason here.'
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: April 05, 2013, 08:31:48 am »

I haven't really tried in .34.11, but in .31.25 I couldn't convince my cooks to use it to save my life.  They'd go out of their way to avoid using it.  Or honey, for that matter.

It's all related to things being in containers, I'm sure.  Not putting other ingredients in barrels would probably make it easier to get cooks to use it, but again, I haven't tried that in the latest version.
Actually, it's because dwarves prefer to cook with solid ingredients. You can get around this by setting up two stockpiles to give to your kitchen: a large one that only accepts liquids, and a very small one that only accepts solids. Have them cook lavish meals. Also keep in mind that royal jelly can be eaten raw.

ETA: of course, in the particular case of royal jelly, you have to deal with the "finished goods" jug bug.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:23:02 am by zzedar »

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: April 05, 2013, 11:37:03 am »

If I have a nestbox, built on a solid tile but completely surrounded by empty space, and non-flying creatures hatch from it, will they immediately fall down (possibly to their deaths, if the fall was deep enough), or will they all stand on top of that one tile and start fighting, or what?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: April 05, 2013, 12:05:00 pm »

I honestly have no clue, but it sounds like a fun experiment
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: April 05, 2013, 12:55:43 pm »

If I have a nestbox, built on a solid tile but completely surrounded by empty space, and non-flying creatures hatch from it, will they immediately fall down (possibly to their deaths, if the fall was deep enough), or will they all stand on top of that one tile and start fighting, or what?
They will all stand on the one tile and start fighting.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: April 05, 2013, 03:19:50 pm »

Are the jugs clay? You may need to glaze them. Unglazed earthenware can't hold liquids.

Metal; shittons of silver laying around.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 422