Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880031 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4230 on: March 17, 2013, 10:42:22 am »

How do you make goblins progress towards you in a siege?  My first siege, none of them came at me, but rather they moved for a bit, then hid in a corner.  I sent a squad of marks dwarves after them and that got them moving a bit, and luckily my marksmen killed enough of them to make them retreat before they could inflict damages. 

My second siege has 3x as many invaders as the first one did, and that tactic isn't an option any more.  Used to be the goblins would just come at you unrelenting and you could thin them out with traps before taking on the survivors with your military.  Well, they don't seem to do that any more?  And I can't take on 40 goblins unaided.  So how do I get them to come at me now a days?
The Easiest way I've found to make goblins charge through even twisty passages is to provide them with line of sight on a useless animal like a cat or dog that is located on the other side of the traps. Then once they charge the traps they should be fine.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: March 17, 2013, 01:51:23 pm »

I guess I'll be setting up a complex crumb trail of puppies and kittens.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: March 17, 2013, 02:24:42 pm »

I guess I'll be setting up a complex crumb trail of puppies and kittens.

You are the kindest host
Setting out snack plates for your guests
The Elves would be most gracious for such a host to visit
The Goblins, however, are picky eaters usually
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: March 18, 2013, 12:11:28 am »

What do y'all do about the masonry bug where the dwarf, even with an unoccluded 3x3 area surrounding him, stands on the wall to complete it, and thus gets a cancellation?  It's specific to the wall, but I can't figure out what causes it. 
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: March 18, 2013, 12:25:16 am »

What do y'all do about the masonry bug where the dwarf, even with an unoccluded 3x3 area surrounding him, stands on the wall to complete it, and thus gets a cancellation?  It's specific to the wall, but I can't figure out what causes it.

usually canceling the build completely and re-designating it works...eventually.  The biggest problems occur around ramps so I try and use them as sparingly as possible in my buildings.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: March 18, 2013, 01:34:08 am »

Yeah, I always have to actually remove the construction designation and respecify it.  I've never been able to figure out the exact mechanism that causes it, but it definitely doesn't require ramps in the equation.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: March 18, 2013, 12:18:04 pm »

If you're playing on Windows or Linux, there's a binary patch for it. ag left a comment with the changes on the bug page, but if you're not a fan of hex editing you can download the patched .exe.

Tried the patched exe, and it said it needed the index file in the data folder. No index file included.

EDIT:
Wrong DF. Oops.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:19:44 pm by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: March 21, 2013, 03:18:45 am »

Do floor grates support floors against cave-ins?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: March 21, 2013, 04:47:41 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Floor_grate#Floor_Grate

Quote from: wiki
A floor grate does NOT count as solid construction. It will not support any buildings or constructions. However, you can designate a construction to be built orthogonally to it with no other supports. This will cause the construction to cave-in immediately after being completed. This can be useful for controlled cave-ins.

imagine that, it's on the wiki

to translate, if required:
you can build stuff next to it, but it doesn't actually support them, so instant cave-in
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: March 21, 2013, 11:22:58 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Floor_grate#Floor_Grate

Quote from: wiki
imagine that, it's on the wiki

to translate, if required:
you can build stuff next to it, but it doesn't actually support them, so instant cave-in
I checked the wiki article for cave-ins, but it only stated that orthogonal constructions (walls, floors, stairs) would support a floor, without mentioning what would happen to a building. Thanks for the answer!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: March 21, 2013, 11:54:49 am »

now I'm wondering if I understood the question :D

to prevent anything from falling down in a cave-in, you need either something substantial below (wall, in some cases stairs) or have a solid construction adjectant to it (wall/floor/stairs), diagonals don't count. There are some more things that provide support, among them, surprise, supports. To prevent a cave-in from smashing through a floor, you need a wall (or undug tile) below it. Possibly supports, havn't tried it and am too lazy to look it up
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: March 21, 2013, 02:52:53 pm »

now I'm wondering if I understood the question :D
You did, don't worry.  ;)

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: March 21, 2013, 06:00:36 pm »

And now another one - what happens if a lot of objects fall into a minecart? Are the items beyond the carrying capacity ejected, or does it end up carrying more than it should?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: March 21, 2013, 08:40:16 pm »

Items do not fall into minecarts, only into the tile that the minecart occupies.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: March 25, 2013, 04:12:06 am »

Thinking about picking the game up again. Do we still have problems with trained animal overcrowd at random and fight among themselves?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 422