Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880093 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4170 on: March 10, 2013, 04:56:46 pm »

I think most of your questions are answered here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Immigration

pop_cap of 1 or 0 might be treated as no limit. Since it's possible (still needs verification according to the wiki) that you get migrants at below 4 dwarfs anyway, might as well set it at 4

That was the first thing i looked at. It's just that when the wiki says 'needs verification' i take that to mean 'almost certainly completely wrong'. I would be more confident if someone could chime in with personal experience with very low pop_cap settings.

I do know that a cap of ten is respected (i.e. immigration stops after the hardcoded waves). As far as who has to report back for further migration to properly happen or stop, i think that forum wisdom says it's the caravan alone, and my experience seems to confirm it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: March 10, 2013, 05:12:26 pm »

well, I know for sure that some things are noted as "verify" that I know as correct. Don't ask me which ones though :D
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4172 on: March 10, 2013, 06:21:36 pm »

More than 60 hives means 'no output'. More than 40 means 'restricted output'. I don't know whether it's restricted to the point where 41 hives will produce less than 40 hives.
So it doesn't matter how spaced out they are, I have to get rid of them until I get 40?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: March 10, 2013, 06:50:41 pm »

More than 60 hives means 'no output'. More than 40 means 'restricted output'. I don't know whether it's restricted to the point where 41 hives will produce less than 40 hives.
So it doesn't matter how spaced out they are, I have to get rid of them until I get 40?
Technically you just need to get rid of them until you hit 59, though it will take longer to develop products in each hive then if you had only 39.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4174 on: March 10, 2013, 07:04:10 pm »

Technically you just need to get rid of them until you hit 59, though it will take longer to develop products in each hive then if you had only 39.
Is 40 more efficient than 59?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: March 10, 2013, 07:06:59 pm »

try it and tell us :D
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4176 on: March 10, 2013, 07:08:21 pm »

try it and tell us :D
I'll have to get a competent beekeeper first :P

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: March 10, 2013, 10:16:50 pm »

I have a question of my own, if I add the tag NOT_FREEZING for biome, can I make it also an ANY with said prefix to make it not conflict with TUNDRA tag?

Could I get an answer please? :3
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: March 10, 2013, 10:28:35 pm »

I have a question of my own, if I add the tag NOT_FREEZING for biome, can I make it also an ANY with said prefix to make it not conflict with TUNDRA tag?
I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want your creature or plant to appear in any non-freezing biome, and also tundra? Check out the wiki page on biome tokens -- it gives the tokens for the 51 individual biomes, plus the (mostly) [ANY_<...>] tokens that roll several of those biomes into one token.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: March 10, 2013, 11:49:45 pm »

I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want your creature or plant to appear in any non-freezing biome, and also tundra? Check out the wiki page on biome tokens -- it gives the tokens for the 51 individual biomes, plus the (mostly) [ANY_<...>] tokens that roll several of those biomes into one token.

Yes. I mostly want to figure out how to make Peregrine falcons appear in all places and biomes

Another matter, anyone know the mineral value of an EVERYWHERE option?
I'm trying to make my custom world parameters, and I want to know if EVERYWHERE is the highest option in terms of the numbers, or if I can get it higher
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: March 11, 2013, 01:10:12 am »

Yes. I mostly want to figure out how to make Peregrine falcons appear in all places and biomes

Another matter, anyone know the mineral value of an EVERYWHERE option?
I'm trying to make my custom world parameters, and I want to know if EVERYWHERE is the highest option in terms of the numbers, or if I can get it higher
If you want falcons so bad, why not edit the raws to make them domesticated?  That way you'll be able to embark with them, and traders will occasionally bring them.

Questions on raws editing and other ways to alter the game are better asked in the Modding forum.
You may also want to check out the Community Mods and Utilities List

As for "EVERYWHERE", that's a quantitative term meaning "in all places".  Like "everything", it's impossible to have more than all of something.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: March 11, 2013, 03:51:52 am »

regardless of everywhere you won't find them underground, so everywhere is not everywhere. I do second the suggestion that anything but basic raw editing is better placed in the modding forum. Not because it absolutely belongs there or anything, but because it dramatically increases your chance for a swift and accurate reply. Not all the people who know about raw modification (or raw editing, or modding) visit the gameplay questions.

Can't blame them

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: March 11, 2013, 04:42:09 am »

I assumed the poster was asking about EVERYWHERE in regard to minerals during world gen, as I could not imagine how mineral value would have any relation to falcons.
Forgotten beast chert falcons, maybe? :D
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: March 11, 2013, 04:49:57 am »

FB microcline falcon :D

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: March 11, 2013, 04:15:36 pm »

Went to examine a dwarf. She likes "waves".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Would these be ocean waves, or waves decorating an item, or what? I couldn't find anything about this preference with all of the talk of migrant waves everywhere.
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 422