Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880081 times)

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4155 on: March 06, 2013, 11:03:27 pm »

I made kobolds common domestic
Funny enough, and I think it has to due with their populating skills, longer than usual life spans, and being cheap as dirt (literally), this is what happened:
Everyone and their grandma owns one

17365 Kobolds when I examined the generation
I normally had 2337 or so on average with a world

Is there a way to make them domesticated, so I can embark with them, and to where only a few sites actually have them
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4156 on: March 09, 2013, 03:08:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"No output, too many hives."

Are my hives now useless for naught but stinging? Will they still yield honey? Appears so, but it worries me. The bees Urist, the bees.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: March 09, 2013, 03:55:26 pm »

maybe they're grouped too closely :D
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: March 09, 2013, 05:58:03 pm »

More than 60 hives means 'no output'. More than 40 means 'restricted output'. I don't know whether it's restricted to the point where 41 hives will produce less than 40 hives.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: March 09, 2013, 08:29:55 pm »

So, I've yet to work out how to properly use minecarts and judicious searching of google and these forums hasn't turned up an answer to this question, so here goes:

I just received the biggest pile of presents I've ever gotten during goblin christmas (a couple dozen exceptional and masterwork spiked green glass balls is both the source of certain problems and the solution to those problems). I've got a nice rope reed clothing industry going and thus I have no need for the no-quality wrappings the presents come in. I've been using the stocks screen to mark all the forbidden garbage clothing for dumping and then mass-claiming my presents. Goblinite is marked for melting in the same way.

My question is this: I have a garbage chute that opens down into the first cavern layer and dumps into the magma pool I found there (conveniently located directly underneath my fort). Mass hauling and dumping into the garbage zone is easy but somewhat inefficient, is there some way I can use minecarts instead?
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: March 09, 2013, 09:52:49 pm »

You can set a no-quality clothing stockpile and have it feed into a minecart that's set to dump to whichever compass point has the shaft to the magma pool. Kind of like quantum stockpiling, but with magma instead of a 1x1 stockpile.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: March 09, 2013, 10:27:09 pm »

You can set a no-quality clothing stockpile and have it feed into a minecart that's set to dump to whichever compass point has the shaft to the magma pool. Kind of like quantum stockpiling, but with magma instead of a 1x1 stockpile.
The only quibble I have with this (otherwise excellent) solution is that the occasional clothing-hungry dwarf might snatch up a sock or something for personal use, but this is so much easier than my previous method I think I can live with that.

Thanks!
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: March 09, 2013, 10:58:14 pm »

My honey industry is a mess.  The raw honeycomb and jugs of honey keep ending up in my finished goods stockpiles and this makes it next to impossible to press it for mead without constant cancellations due to shortages of empty jugs and constant treks from the kitchens.   I'd expect the honey would be bulked into stone pots or barrels, just as booze does, and stored in the food stocks that are clearly marked to accept the honey, thus freeing up the huge stock of jugs.
What simplistic solution am I overlooking?
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: March 10, 2013, 12:44:14 am »

My honey industry is a mess.  The raw honeycomb and jugs of honey keep ending up in my finished goods stockpiles and this makes it next to impossible to press it for mead without constant cancellations due to shortages of empty jugs and constant treks from the kitchens.   I'd expect the honey would be bulked into stone pots or barrels, just as booze does, and stored in the food stocks that are clearly marked to accept the honey, thus freeing up the huge stock of jugs.
Can't you forbid pots and jugs from that stockpile?

I have a question of my own, if I add the tag NOT_FREEZING for biome, can I make it also an ANY with said prefix to make it not conflict with TUNDRA tag?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: March 10, 2013, 09:19:35 am »

Messing around with the concept of a true hermitish fort - a 'dwarven Adam&Eve' type setup - makes me wonder about the actual minimum population you can have through the population cap: setting it to 1 doesn't really seem to do what i want. I walled in my main couple and ordered the rest of the embark party and the hardcoded immigrants to first wrestle the local water buffalos and then to attack the dwarven caravan. Eventually, only two were left, apparently surviving on vermin and brook water, so i relented. One wanted to attend a meeting for quite a while, but i was clearly not going to let them near my hermit couple after i had shot their loyalty. Interestingly, i could not appoint either of them as expedition leader - can it be that becoming a rebel makes dwarfs uneligible for the position?

Anyway, with four controllable dwarfs and a population cap in d_init of one, after a caravan left the place intact i got a full migrant wave next season. I abandoned, because i'm not gonna spend my time murdering dwarfs, but i still wonder: what's the actual minimum population cap the game will respect? And does anyone know if illoyal dwarfs screw up the headcount for immigration purposes?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: March 10, 2013, 09:34:48 am »

I think most of your questions are answered here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Immigration

pop_cap of 1 or 0 might be treated as no limit. Since it's possible (still needs verification according to the wiki) that you get migrants at below 4 dwarfs anyway, might as well set it at 4
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: March 10, 2013, 10:51:30 am »

pop_cap of 1 or 0 might be treated as no limit. Since it's possible (still needs verification according to the wiki) that you get migrants at below 4 dwarfs anyway, might as well set it at 4

My understanding was the fortress gets a set number of migrations until the liason visits and reports back to the mountainhome, and then migration stops.  Am I wrong?

Okay, I forbade jugs from all other stockpiles, so that's one problem dealt with.
Oddly, raw honeycomb is under "tools" (wtf?) in the "z" menu, and I can't find them in the  stockpile menu.  I suppose I can store my tools in the kitchens.  Still, why doesn't the honey and jelly get bulked into pots and barrels like other liquids instead of being left in jugs?  Is this normal behaviour?  I can't tell because I've never experimented with honey until now.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:56:55 am by Lida_Brainbroken »
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: March 10, 2013, 11:24:23 am »

My understanding was the fortress gets a set number of migrations until the liason visits and reports back to the mountainhome, and then migration stops.  Am I wrong?

as you can read in my post, the wiki states that if you have 4 dwarfs or less, you get the migrant waves. It doesn't say anything about having to conclude a meeting or caravan, so I honestly don't know. I also don't know for sure, but feel pretty confident to say that I remember some problems with setting the pop_cap very low, that the game ignored it altogether.

I could be wrong though :D

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: March 10, 2013, 11:30:49 am »

Okay, I forbade jugs from all other stockpiles, so that's one problem dealt with.
Oddly, raw honeycomb is under "tools" (wtf?) in the "z" menu, and I can't find them in the  stockpile menu.  I suppose I can store my tools in the kitchens.  Still, why doesn't the honey and jelly get bulked into pots and barrels like other liquids instead of being left in jugs?  Is this normal behaviour?  I can't tell because I've never experimented with honey until now.
You're experiencing an old bug. It looks like jugs can be stored in bins, so if you allow bins in your food stockpile, they'll take up less space.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: March 10, 2013, 11:52:58 am »

You're experiencing an old bug. It looks like jugs can be stored in bins, so if you allow bins in your food stockpile, they'll take up less space.

Thank you for the solution.  I was so focused on the jugs, it didn't occur to simply allow bins.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 422