Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880103 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4140 on: March 05, 2013, 10:07:10 pm »

Kobold eggs shouldn't ever become a food source due to them being intelligent beings. You might be able to swing it by changing the ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_XXXX options to ACCEPTABLE in the dwarven entity, though.

Kobolds will just count as pets though, and won't actually count as citizens.

Dwarves become lovers and then after spending enough time socializing with each other will eventually get married. Depending on whether or not you have an area available for the party you will then either get a message saying that they are getting married and they will throw a party (which functions identical to any other, i.e. all it is is a bunch of dwarves standing around talking) or you will get a message that they are married and decided to forgo the celebration.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: March 06, 2013, 12:33:51 am »

I assume this means since Kobolds must be married to mate, it means I might have to give them no eat or no drink, or both, to make sure they become fast friends, and eventually mate
I also wonder if it means Kobolds could hold a wedding party

Thats it, I am modding

I might have to make a kobold wedding mod, where the lovely couple has to go off to another civ for a bit and steal something
Okay that is just silly

Is it advised I turn on elven/human diplomats?
Also, will they still be butchered (just not used)?
When you say won't actually, will they still be able to work in any form?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: March 06, 2013, 02:12:49 am »

Edit: Solved myself, am idiot. Yay!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:23:12 am by shmelse »
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: March 06, 2013, 04:23:26 am »

human diplomats are there in any case. You can add/turn on a trade representative which acts the same as your liaison for ordering stuff. Elf diplomats whine about trees (mushroom trees count too) and give you more opportunities to insult elves
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: March 06, 2013, 08:34:49 am »

Kobold eggs shouldn't ever become a food source due to them being intelligent beings.

I haven't tried kobold eggs in particular, but I know when I ran a modded fort of griffons who laid eggs, they'd merrily eat their own eggs without any funny ethics being set.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

adam35413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: March 06, 2013, 08:43:21 am »

How effective are Marksdwarfs in combat?  I currently have a squad of 7 marksdwarves where only 1 is actually practicing.  I am curious if it is worth the effort to try and get them to practice/get better as opposed to just switching them to axes or hammers.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: March 06, 2013, 09:04:57 am »

In melee combat? They're about as effective as a dwarf with a nerf bat, though if they have a copper crossbow eventually they'll get a deathblow in. Note that the effectiveness of said nerfbatdwarf will vary immensely -- if the dwarf is fresh out of the danger room, they'll be significantly less effective than a dwarf who's been training naturally for years and (with squadmates) can beat a blind cave ogre to death. (One of those dwarves was later attacked from behind by a crundle and got her ear smashed through her masterwork steel helm. Oh RNG.)

In ranged combat? They're pretty good. Either a rain of bone and wood bolts or a few well-placed shots with metal ammo will incapacitate enemies enough for your melee dwarves to swoop in, or for attrition to make them retreat.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

adam35413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: March 06, 2013, 09:23:37 am »

So what I'm hearing is I need to actually train them.  Sigh  :)

Panic Room?  Is this a more 'effective' way to train military?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: March 06, 2013, 09:42:14 am »

not panic room, danger room
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Danger_room

it's a bit of an exploit
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: March 06, 2013, 09:54:26 am »

No, is not as long you have a bald dwarf on a wheelchair running your fort ;)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

adam35413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: March 06, 2013, 10:00:00 am »

Any recommendations for helping increase the number of Marksdwarfs actually training?  I have read in other threads that "Soldier (No Activity)" can be common, so I am not sure if there are other remedies I could try.  All the dwarfs have crossbows, but I do think they were short on bolts so I have been making copper bolts.

Does making one bolt = a bundle of 250? 

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: March 06, 2013, 10:11:20 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Bolt

Each job will produce a stack of 25 wooden bolts from a single log, or a stack of 5 bone bolts taking a single bone from a stack. Metal bolts require Weaponsmithing (not Metalcrafting) and a Metalsmith's forge or Magma forge, creating a stack of 25 bolts from a single metal bar.

so, metal also 25 bolts. You're better off making wooden or bone bolts in the beginning, or at least untill you have metal to spare

adam35413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: March 06, 2013, 10:18:38 am »

Ah, I should have RTFM(wiki).  Thanks.

Any recommendations for haul time improvements?  My main fortress resides a couple Z levels down from the surface and spans 5 or so Z levels right now.  My Magma industries are located approximately 100 Z-levels down, so the result is currently most my dwarfs spend their time hauling metal down to the stockpiles which takes a long time.  I imagine this will be less of a problem eventually as all the metal ore hauled down there and I get more dwarves.  Is the only recourse to create more wheelbarrows?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: March 06, 2013, 11:06:31 am »

You can assign 3 wheelbarrows per stockpile but if you make several piles with 3 each, that will increase the number of ores brought down at once. Once finished you can delete the small piles and use a big one instead.

Otherwise you can use a minecart, that'll go faster but the process of digging the track can be a tad complicated for a one way trip.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: March 06, 2013, 11:12:36 am »

Kobold eggs shouldn't ever become a food source due to them being intelligent beings.

I haven't tried kobold eggs in particular, but I know when I ran a modded fort of griffons who laid eggs, they'd merrily eat their own eggs without any funny ethics being set.
Interesting. I was unaware that ethics didn't apply to eggs (though I'm not sure why I would be surprised that they didn't :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 422