Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880108 times)

minozake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4035 on: February 20, 2013, 12:49:42 am »

Has there been any science done with respect to workshop timings (in number of ticks) in fortress mode?  Also about how much encumbrance slows down a dwarf's weight?  I'm trying to figure out my rate of steel bar production by taking into account how long travel times are for the dwarves collecting from stockpiles and how long it takes to smelt each component for the steel bars (including taking into account furnace operator skill).

The most helpful thing might be figuring out if the raws specify production times, but I haven't seen anything that would seem to be able to help out with that.

I'm doing some science, but I do want to verify results and possibly speed it up a bit to figure out the inefficiencies of my steel industry.  If someone hasn't ventured here before, I'd gladly try to put forth a new thread to help out everyone who is trying to optimize their industries.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: February 20, 2013, 01:59:37 am »

This thread has a little bit of info, but not specifically related to smelting, I don't think.  It might be a good starting point at least.

A syndrome perhaps? Evil rains or fogs?

Almost certainly a syndrome.  Have any forgotten beasts or titans been killed nearby?  Or did the goblins siege with a monster as their leader?  Any of those can have syndromes with delayed random bleeding to death effects.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: February 20, 2013, 02:37:09 am »

Cats and pets are especially vulnerable to contact syndromes on the ground (puddles of poisonous blood for example), though I think with some nostalgia back to the times of naked and shoeless dwarfs infecting the whole fortress. Since dwarfs are replacing worn clothing (such as shoes) again, the risk has drastically decreased
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Scorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: February 20, 2013, 11:03:05 am »

Almost certainly a syndrome.  Have any forgotten beasts or titans been killed nearby?  Or did the goblins siege with a monster as their leader?  Any of those can have syndromes with delayed random bleeding to death effects.
Just goblins and trolls. I did take down a forgotten beast that accidentally got released from the caverns, but that wasn't where my cats tended to prowl. Could a goblin or troll pool have been the culprit? I do not get any messages about symptoms prior to death.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: February 20, 2013, 11:10:51 am »

What the log about the cats say?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: February 20, 2013, 11:21:46 am »

In an unmodded world, goblins and trolls won't cause syndrome related deaths like that.  The only way they'll kill things is the old fashioned way: by whacking it to death.

I'm going to chalk it up as still likely having happened because of that FB.  There can be significant delays before you see symptoms of a syndrome, although this is rare.  If any of the blood was tracked anywhere, it could have infected a lot of cats or other animals.

You generally won't see any sort of indication that anything is wrong before stuff starts flopping over dead.  In particular, you don't get any notices in the combat log about random bleeding from the effects.  If they wandered into a burst of dust or vapors you'll see that in the log, but stepping in deadly blood is not reported.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: February 20, 2013, 07:02:27 pm »

Are zombies in an evil biome really that hard to kill right now?
Will body parts reanimate in every evil biome?
If so, if my embark is part neutral part evil, will something dying on the neutral ground still reanimate?
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: February 20, 2013, 07:12:53 pm »

Not all evil biomes reanimate.

Body parts not lying on a tile that is part of a reanimating biome won't reanimate unless a necromancer comes by.

As for the first question... they can be easy to kill, but disposing of the remains before they get back up again can be difficult. Reanimated dead get pretty big bonuses to strength and toughness, so any melee dwarves you send against them can't be glass cannons. Bolts work well with sufficient quantity or quality, but unless the dwarf with the crossbow can mix it up in melee with the undead they're more of a defensive measure.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: February 20, 2013, 07:15:02 pm »

Zombies from evil biomes are remarkably easy to kill. The difficulty in dealing with them lies in the simple that every time you put them down they usually stand up again in a very short period of time, so the difficulty lies in disposing of the bodies in that short period before they reanimate again.

Body parts reanimating is a common thing that can occur in an evil biome, but is not a guaranteed thing. Evil biomes select what will happen in them from a pool of things, so it's possible that you could get an evil biome that doesn't reanimate (though it is rare).

The neutral part won't reanimate dead things, and I have even heard tale from time to time that things that have reanimated will return to death if they cross the boundary. I personally haven't seen any confirmation of this fact though.

Ninja! :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: February 21, 2013, 02:35:40 am »

I have recently had the pleasure of a necromacer seige including over 100 assorted human and elf zombies as well as two necromancers. I managed to seal the fort with only one brave dwarf deciding that it would be a good idea to stay outside. Not suprisingly, he died after chopping some zombies up.

The surface now belongs to the dead, but we will take it back... That is why I am wondering, what is a good way to kill 100+ zombies and 2 necromancers? I am not in a reanimating biome, the nercomancers are the only things bringing the dead to life. I was thinking of somehow purging the surface with fire but I don't know how efective it would be or what would be involved (my greatest construction to date is a mist generator). Any tips would be very much appreciated by Myself and the dwarves of Sabreprophets. Thanks.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: February 21, 2013, 04:02:15 am »

magma/fire doesn't kill zombies, or at least very very slowly, but will work fine on necromancers. I still swear by atom smashing
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: February 21, 2013, 04:19:54 am »

do you want the whole list of possible reasons, or could you provide a bit more info as to what you already checked as possibilities, or was this a rhetorical question that was to be in the "dear Urist" thread in 'gameplay discussion' subforum?

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: February 21, 2013, 07:26:28 am »

I can't seem to get my dwarves to dump objects onto, or under bridges. I just tried this with a fresh embark and no mods, other than adding a few extra goblin entities. I'm sure I could get the items on those locations some other way, but I'd like either dwarf labor be used, or whatever thing I end up making to fix this doesn't take up too much space. I kinda feel like doing something strange with my next embark.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: February 21, 2013, 07:55:18 am »

are the objects you want dumped outside? If yes, you might have to turn on "dwarfs gather refuse from outside" in o-r iirc

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: February 21, 2013, 08:44:55 am »

Okay that works. I have now rediscovered that drawbridges still only launch things 1-2 tiles. Heh. Was trying to launch items over a decently sized gap. Basically, I'm going to have several mini-forts, and they can't be connected normally. Might just use the bridges to have stuff hauled over, but that's a connection. It won't be crossable in a siege at least.  I suppose I can just build a temporary tower with ramps to launch minecarts, which seems dwarfy enough, with a chance of losing cargo. This is really only intended for emergencies, like strange moods anyway. Also the reason it's a tower is because all the mini forts are above ground. Yeah, this is a silly challenge. Alternatively, I could just say, "If you don't have it, either make it yourself, or you're not getting it." Which leads to the problem that stacks of seeds can't be split, which is annoying for such a challenge, because it means initially there has to be a connection, so that a few seeds can be shared, and that can only be done in the proper season. Reason I say seeds is because clothing is mandatory now, so all of the forts would need their own farm and thus, seeds eventually. Or I could have them try and get lucky with cavern seeds/spider silk for awhile. And now I'm rambling. I suppose I should just finally learn minecarts.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 422