Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880086 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3990 on: February 12, 2013, 08:27:43 am »

I think it works fine
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tsugumi Henduluin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: February 12, 2013, 08:39:12 am »

Heya~

Just jumped back into the game after a year or so, but I'm having some odd problems I didn't have before. Specifically workshops immediately canceling orders due to a lack of items needed, even though I have plenty of the material in question. Gem cutters needing rough gems that are quite literally lying right in front of them, bowyers needing logs even though there's half a forest stored in a stockpile, that kind of nonsense.
There aren't any issues with permissions that I can find, and linking the stockpiles with workshops doesn't seem to help in any way either.

Dwarves seem to ignore orders at times as well. I have items queued up to be made and free dwarves without any other tasks (disabled hauling and all that), yet they seem to be busy off into the abyss rather than work their pixely behinds off. They're not even getting drunk or partying either.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I'm using the latest Lazy Newb Pack if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: February 12, 2013, 09:35:22 am »

The only thing that's changed in relation to this in recent versions is the hauling improvements, which were introduced in .34.07 I think.  A frequent problem since then is that dwarves will want an item from a bin, but that bin is marked to be hauled so a dwarf can go pick something up somewhere else.  Since the bin is marked for hauling, anything inside isn't available and the job gets canceled.

One way to fix this is to have smaller stockpiles feeding workshops that accept no bins.  It's a bit more work, but can give the best of the hauling improvements without the frustration they bring.

I don't know why you'd be having problems with the logs though, since that doesn't affect them.  Have you set up that stockpile to give to something other than the workshop that needs it?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tsugumi Henduluin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: February 12, 2013, 10:43:09 am »

No, it's just a simple out-of-the-box stockpile. No settings were altered in any way. Assigning a wood stockpile to a bowyer's workshop does not help either.
As for the other workshops, I don't think it's specifically related to that bin issue either, as there are plenty of materials, such as uncut gems, lying around that have not been put into bins yet :/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:46:23 am by Tsugumi Henduluin »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: February 12, 2013, 11:19:18 am »

The next obvious question then is if you've got any burrows that might be conflicting with the workshops?  The items haven't become forbidden somehow, have they?

Tsugumi Henduluin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: February 12, 2013, 12:13:16 pm »

Nope, no burrows. I seriously doubt I accidentally set anything to forbidden either, mostly because this fortress is still very young (as in, barely a year) and I have not really gotten around to properly assigning a bookkeeper yet. I couldn't set any materials to forbidden, even if I wanted to.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: February 12, 2013, 01:08:37 pm »

through the bookkeeper isn't the only way to do that :p

If all else fails, upload a save.

are you playing vanilla?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: February 12, 2013, 01:09:41 pm »

Are you aware that once you set any stockpile to give to a workshop, the workshop will then only accept materials from linked stockpiles?  It will no longer take materials from un-linked stockpiles.  So once you link your sweet pod stockpile to g)ive to your still, booze production will stop because the still no longer has access to any barrels.  In order to make the still work again, you would need to link a barrel stockpile as well.

Similarly, if you set a stockpile to t)ake from a workshop, the workshop will no longer distribute goods to stockpiles that are not linked.  So if you have a furniture stockpile that t)akes from your mason shop, and you make rock blocks, the blocks will pile up in the shop, and not be delivered to your block stockpile.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: February 12, 2013, 06:30:45 pm »

1) At what point (if ever) will my marksdwarves stop needing to stand right next to a fortification to shoot past it?
2) Can I get them to reload without my intervention? They don't try to melee (there's no path), they just sit there once they're outta ammo. (There is no shortage of assigned ammo)
3) The goblins brought trolls with them, which ended up in my cages (the goblins themselves ended up all broken-legged and melty). What should I feed them? They wouldn't eat the kobolds I set them loose on :(
4) One of the kobolds passed out on a cage trap. He's the only live one I have, the rest died in their attack. Should I wall him up and give him a window to the necro-powered shooting range so he doesn't feel lonely?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:39:51 pm by gestahl »
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: February 12, 2013, 06:37:41 pm »

1. Around the time they hit Great in marksdwarf I think.  Increasing skill increases the distance they can be at.
2. This is very finicky in general, but clearing their orders once they're out of ammo might help them run back and grab more ammo.  Or issuing a station order.
3. Nobles are the usual choice here, I think.  I'd just feed them to a FB though.  Or an axe lord.
4. Sure.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: February 12, 2013, 06:44:24 pm »

iirc the dwarfs can shoot from a distance through fortifications when they become "elite", at skill level great indeed, but it's an all at once switch. From that moment on they can shoot through it from any distance, much like elite goblin bowmen

I've had plenty of success at getting them to reload, though I forgot how  :-[
I think taking them off duty helped (ending station order) as they usually regularly return to their last station order. So out of bolts and not 'on duty' they wander away, get bolts and wander back

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: February 12, 2013, 07:36:19 pm »

I've been stationing them back and forth between the firing range and the ammo stockpile. It works, but I was hoping there was a way to have them keep reloading until the there's nothing left to shoot at.

The FB thing sounds like a good idea actually, I'll wait for one unknown syndromes.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: February 12, 2013, 08:22:23 pm »

I've been stationing them back and forth between the firing range and the ammo stockpile. It works, but I was hoping there was a way to have them keep reloading until the there's nothing left to shoot at.
I normally set a patrol route that leads from the shooting area back to the ammo stockpile, then set the dwarves to patrol the route. The end result is that they shoot at whatever the target is until they run out of ammo, at which point (assuming you have properly stopped them from being able to reach their target to bash it uselessly) they continue on their patrol until they reach the ammo stockpile, where they refill their quivers and travel back to the shooting range again.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Vndetta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: February 13, 2013, 01:43:22 am »

Nope, no burrows. I seriously doubt I accidentally set anything to forbidden either, mostly because this fortress is still very young (as in, barely a year) and I have not really gotten around to properly assigning a bookkeeper yet. I couldn't set any materials to forbidden, even if I wanted to.

Deconstruct and rebuild the workshop(s) in question, even if you're sure you have the stockpiles right or unmodified. It's fixed unfathomable issues of mine many times. Finn's post illustrated the cause of many of my own headaches, haha.

Tsugumi Henduluin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: February 13, 2013, 02:05:19 am »

through the bookkeeper isn't the only way to do that :p

are you playing vanilla?

It isn't? >.> And yes, I am. Or at least, I assume the Lazy Newb Pack is vanilla.

Are you aware that once you set any stockpile to give to a workshop, the workshop will then only accept materials from linked stockpiles?

Not in that much detail, but I understood the general principle, yes. The stockpiles are completely untouched though, so I doubt that's the issue.

The fortress is in the top-left corner, down at level 5 with the workshops and stockpiles being located at the eastern side.

@Vndetta
I tried, but to no effect. Was doubtful it would work anyway as I only just finished building that particular wing. The workshops were brand-new as it was :p Thanks for the suggestion anyway though.

Guess it is savegame time, then.
http://members.ziggo.nl/t.vandenadel/region1.rar
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 422